General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Careless Dog Owner Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-02-15 7:21 PM
in reply to: #1963099

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Careless Dog Owner

I sympathize with your situation, as I also have zero tolerance with vicious or wild dogs, and that would easily have p*ssed me off pretty bad.  I definitely think suing would be a huge hassle for you and ultimately a waste of your time.  If it was me I would probably just go back to the house and explain the trouble the owner will get into next time it happens, as well as make it clear that there would be a good chance the dog could actually be put down for something like that (repeated attacks). 

Other than that a brick through the living room window never hurt either =)

2009-02-15 8:15 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

A few years ago a friend of mine brought her dogs over to my house and let them jump out of the car unleashed.  I had a contractor over doing some work and one of her dogs nipped him on the back.  As I recall they asked her for medical expenses.  No idea if she ever paid...but I know nothing else ever came of it.  Like others have said...I doubt you would get much more than medical expenses.

To respond to a few posts....ANY dog bit no matter how minor should be treated by a physician.  Those things can get infected QUICK.

NEVER try to outrun a dog.  I have a dog aggressive dog so if I run with her I have to be EXTRA vigilant because any dog that tries to charge us is going to get its butt kicked if I don't fend them off.  The absolute MOST effective thing I have found is to STOP, STAND MY GROUND, and SHOUT in my most authoritative voice something like "GO HOME!".  Most reasonably well trained dogs will hear the authoritative shout and stop in their tracks.

2009-02-15 9:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Western, Mass
Bronze member

I have been bitten twice, one was accidental, two dogs were rough housing, and the three of us could not ocupy the same spot.  The second, i was 13 - 14 i was out riding my bike and a beagle/terrier sized dog charged me and jumped up an bit my leg.

I first incident i was  like 8 and got scared, no skin broken, and i was in the neighbors yard.  the dog had all its shots.  The second, i was on the road, with no where to run, due to an intersection.  Again the skin was not broken and the dog had its shots, but the owner told my father that" I shouldn't be riding my bike near his house", we filed reports with the Dog Officer and Police.  The second  cost the owners some dough, The dog officer too the dog for several weeks, and they had to pay fines for the dog not leashed.

If a dog bites always file a report, period.  If any minor damage was done, try to work it out with the owner, otherwise, press charges, if the owner is an .  

Kevin

2009-02-15 10:40 PM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
I've been on the other side of this situation. I've always had German Shepherds and am a very responsible dog owner. One day our front door blew open and my dog was in our front yard. A neighbor came to my house to inform me, she first yelled in the house (which I heard) and then rang the doorbell with my dog standing right next to her. Unfortunately, my dog was conditioned to bark when the doorbell rang and he tended to jump on people as they arrived if I didn't have hold of him. (We've since trained subsequent dogs to never jump on people ever). So he started barking, jumped on her and scratched her with his claw. I saw the whole thing as my front door was standing wide open.

She acted like it was no big deal but ended up going to a doctor. She lied to the doctor and he was required to report it as a dog bite to our city. The city put my dog in quarantine for ten days. She sued me and I was covered by my homeowner's insurance. They settled for medical bills (for a minor scratch) and about $5000 (I think). My insurance then canceled on me and I was uninsurable until I got rid of my dog (which I didn't). She spread rumors that we had a vicious dog and we were basically ostracized by our neighbors. So we sold the house and moved to Colorado. Best move we ever made...

Edited by breckview 2009-02-15 10:42 PM
2009-02-16 6:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Can not speak for the German Shepherd, but the pack of rabid dogs that chased me this weekend ran 38kph. One of these guys was was quite dedicated and stuck with me for about 500 m. Looks like I will be spending more time on the trainer! FWIW - over here 99% of the dogs are wild and do not have owners.

Best of luck with your situation.
2009-02-16 7:59 AM
in reply to: #1963995

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

From personal experience I would approach the owner and let them know that if the behavior continues you will be forced to call the appropriate authorities.  I had a similar experience with a pit bull.  He is still a puppy and at first he would run up to me and bark and I would yell at the neighbors to get their dog.  As he got older the dog got a little more aggressive and he nipped at me.  I immediately went to the owners house and told them if it happened one more time I was going to call animal control.  I've not had a problem since but I've not run much when he is normally out.  My biggest issue is if this dog gets aggressive when me, my wife, and her daughter are simply walking through the neighborhood.

Here's my solution.  I got a can of pepper spray and I carry it with me only when I run/walk where this dog is.  The next time he comes at me and I feel threatened the dog will get sprayed.

2009-02-16 3:58 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
as far as I am concerned there are just too many careless dog owners.  they give responsible dog owners a bad wrap!  my neighborhood is full of inconsiderate dog owners and while I have never had a dog bite I have had some encounters where I have approached the dog owners.  I think every single time I have gotten some attitude and have actually been told to mind my own business.  If me or my kids ever get bit by one of these dogs I won't hesitate to file a complaint.  But I would never sue unless it was very serious.
2009-02-16 4:17 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Your wife's friend watches too much television. Any judgement you're liable to get is going to pale in comparison to the amount of time and aggravation that suing someone in a case like this is going to involve.

Everybody pays for frivolous lawsuits in increased insurance costs, medical costs, etc. Don't be part of the problem. I mean, really, how much money does she think you could get? You aren't going to miss work, you didn't have to stay in the hospital, there's no permanent disfigurement, I guess the owner was negligent, but he opened his garage door and the dog ran out and attacked you--it's not like he left this vicious dog unsupervised in his yard.

You've got a right to ask them to cover your o-o-p expenses, and you should find out if the dog was vaccinated. And, of course, you can be pleased with yourself that you've made your streets safer for the next runner that passes by the guy's house. I bet he never opens his garage door without looking to see where his dog is ever again.
2009-02-17 7:41 AM

User image

Modesto, California
You have every right to sue him, first he was careless,second he was a coward by not offering to cover any medical charges for injuries that you had. It would not guess if this guy has learned his lesson or not, from now on carry a camera /cell phone and a palm size pepper spray when you bike and run. Every time I go out to run I see plenty of dogs off the owners leash,recently two dogs had been unfortunate enough to charge me. Owners know that authorities are too busy to respond, and if they do the owner is long gone. So from now on use four easy steps,spray,kick,take picture ,call.
2009-02-17 9:39 AM

I'm all about preventative measures. I dont carry pepper spray when I run because I dont like carrying anything when I run. I have found that my feet make a fairly good deterent. I usually run without headphones so I am aware of my surroundings. It hasnt happened yet, but here is my game plan.

1. Dog charges

2. Kick it in the jaw so hard it cant open its mouth for a month.

Its not animal cruelty, its self defense.

Now the owner is stuck paying their dog's medical bill and you can finish your run with no broken skin.

On a side note, I would also expect this if my dog was off the leash and charged a nearby runner or biker. I'm with everyone else that says talk to the owner first. Make it very clear that if he doesnt cover your medical costs you will recover them in small claims court. You will not get anything other than your medical costs though. You will probably end up paying 10X what you would have recived in lawyer fees.

2009-02-17 11:15 AM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

I don't think i would call this dog a vicious dog. If a German Shepherd really wanted to bite you, you would end up with far worse than a minor puncture wound. Yes, the dog shouldn't have been let out of the house off leash but anyone who owns a dog knows that they can squeeze by you way too easily. You trying to run past the yard most likely made the situation worse. Based off the fact the would was so minor, he was probably trying to play with you. A dog's instinct is to chase something running. once he caught you, he tred to bump/nip at you, since again , that is how they play.

I think filing a police report without talking to the dog owner is a little over the top. If the owner had blown me off, that is the first thing I would do, but since the dog owner had no idea that the dog actually got you, to call him cowardly as one poster did is ridiculous.

2009-02-17 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
First of all, I'm a lawyer, so I say sue their pants off...no just kidding about sueing. I woudn't waste my time with that (I don't do PI by the way). However, I would definately file a police report no matter how nice they are to you. I was bitten by an Akita when I was 13 (it outweighed me by 45 lbs). Our physician demanded that we report the incident to the police because the dog went for my neck. We did.

2 years later that dog literally tore off a 15 year old classmate's face. He was severely disfigured, and will be for life. Since it was the second attack in two years the dog was required to be euthanized. However, the owners simply moved it from the county and it lived a long and happy life. The second kid's family sued, and received a lot of money.

My point is that if a dog tastes blood once, it falls on the owners to never let that happen again...ever. If it does, then something has to be done. I love dogs, but no innocent person should be subjected to the terror of a dog attack...it's 100% the owner's responsiblity to never let that happen. If it happens twice, the owner should severely penalized.

Report it.
2009-02-17 1:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
2009-02-17 2:13 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
amschrod - 2009-02-15 11:16 AM

So Thursday morning I was about 2 miles into an 8 mile run at about 6 AM so it was just getting a little light out. I'm in a residential area, I hear a garage door open, I look over and see a German Shepherd running towards me. My first thought was that I sure hoped they had one of those invisible fences. I sped up to try to get past his yard, but that was hard because it was right at the start of a short steep hill, plus I'm pretty slow. He catches up to me, bumps me pretty hard in the back of the leg, so I turn around to face him, hoping he will back off. He follows me and keeps barking for 50 feet or so, but doesn't try to attack. I hear his owner yelling, he finally goes home, and I yelled back at the owner that he's supposed to be on a leash.

I continued my run because I wanted to get my 8 miles in, plus I needed to get home to get my youngest kid up for school. Didn't realize that I had actually gotten bit until I got in the shower and saw a little blood and 2 little punctures in my upper thigh. Nothing much really, but the skin was broken. Called the animal control officer, and she suggested seeing a doctor and filling out a police report. Doctor updated my tetanus, and gave me a prescription for antibiotics. That night I was at the Police Station for almost an hour making a statement.

I would just like to get reimbursed the couple of hundred dollars in out of pocket medical expenses I have, but my wife's crazy friend thinks I should sue for a substantial amount of money. I talked to my lawyer who is a good friend, but he doesn't do personal injury so he will look into it and get back to me. Seriously though, what are my damages? My leg is a little sore, but the biggest problem is a little stomach upset from the antibiotics, and I was a little worried I would join "that club" on my long run this morning, but I didn't

Well anyway, watch those dogs out there, and don't assume they are under their owners' control.

Anthony

I don't do it on my runs anymore, and rarely on the bike, but I used to carry a 1" rattan stick (Escrima) with me on runs and bikes when I ran/rode in rural Colorado. Dog chases me, he gets the stick and I don't mean fetch.

I've had dogs, and will again, but a dog comes after me on a bike or a run, and I have no problem defending myself. I've had them knock me off a bike at 30+mph, and that is no fun, especially when they keep coming.

If any animal rights activists want to debate it with me, we'll grab a dog that runs after bikes/runners, and give them a 100 yd head start. Then we'll discuss my attitude :D.

John 

2009-02-17 3:08 PM
in reply to: #1966292

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
uclamatt2007 - 2009-02-17 10:15 AM
If a German Shepherd really wanted to bite you, you would end up with far worse than a minor puncture wound.

That is for sure. My German Shepherd is a machine. If he wanted to take someone down, there is no defense except a gun. Kicking him would be a joke.

When dogs run, their mouths are often open and their teeth can accidently snag on things that they didn't intend to bite, like a person's calf or the back of another dog. This happens at our dog park all the time. And it happens to people who take their dogs skiing like I do.

I'm not saying this happened to the OPer since I have no idea, but it is common.
2009-02-17 3:16 PM
in reply to: #1966755

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
tkd.teacher - 2009-02-17 1:13 PM
I've had them knock me off a bike at 30+mph, and that is no fun, ...

Dogs and bikes do not mix. Our bike path has a strict no off leach dogs law and it really makes me mad when people disobey it although thankfully it's rare. It's a dangerous situation.

2009-02-17 3:45 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
2009-02-17 3:47 PM

User image

Regular

Speaking as someone who doesn't "get" domesticated animals and finds dogs in particular to be at best an annoying inconvenience and at worst dangerous: forget about it.

File a report with the necessary authorities, so that in case it happens again (to you or to someone else) the dog can be dealt with.  It's important to build a history.

Unfortunately, so often these cases are just people looking for a quick $500-1000; there's almost no chance the guy will even believe you about your injuries, even though you have a legitimate case.

If the money is a real issue, and I admit it would be for me, I would politely call or pay them a visit and ask them to reimburse you. He'll probably decline, but sometimes people surprise you by doing the right thing.  Suing, on top of being litigious and petty, would be a waste of time.  You may never see a dime, even if you win.  And then you're out for attorney fees.

2009-02-17 3:52 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

kind of ot, but related:

I'm a prosecutor, and often have cases with K9s.  They are German Shepards and understand commands only in German (it's awesome).

There was a def. trying to grab the K9 ofc.'s belt, and the command was given.

dog bit down - and didn't let go until the command was given to do so.

the dog bit through the def.'s leather jacket and broke skin.

----

2009-02-17 4:31 PM
in reply to: #1966952

User image

Expert

Wow, this sure got a lot more attention than I expected, so I would like to clarify a couple of things.

I am not going to sue for damages, I am just going to try to cover the 250 bucks my medical insurance won't cover because of the deductible. My wife was very upset that day because, even after 21 years, she still worries about me, and she has a fear of dogs related to a childhood incident. She asked me to check with my lawyer who is my good friend before he is my lawyer. He has moved to FL, but we still talk 3 or 4 times a week, so I would have talked to him anyway.

Before I made an official report, I made sure with the animal control officer that nothing would happen to the dog. The owner will get a fine because my town has a leash law, so that all works out well since I actually love dogs but I do not like bad owners.

I did not talk directly to the owner because as I said, I have known their next door neighbor for years, and she said that any conversation with the owner would have been a waste of time.

I know that what happened to me is not a big deal, but it could have been worse. It could have been a paperboy, or an elderly lady walking her dog instead of me, or whatever.

Hope that clears up a few things

Anthony

2009-02-17 6:05 PM
in reply to: #1967021

A little off but what the hey

About 10 years back there was a guy riding his bike and these dogs would chase and try to bite him daily.  Police and owners did nothing.  We live in a free state so the next time the guy on the bike stopped, pulled out his pistol and shot both dogs, then rode off.  Bummer for the kids to find the dogs shot, but he tried the whole police/owner thing.

It was in the papers for weeks.  Just sharing a extreme story, not suggestioning you go and shoot the dog. 

2009-02-17 7:22 PM
in reply to: #1963431

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

keyone - 2009-02-15 3:55 PM Definitely get the dogs papers and find out about the dog's current rabies status. I can't believe your doctor didn't bring that up. In the future, whenever you encounter a loose dog, you should not try to outrun it. Dogs instinct is to chase. You should stop and back away slowly, without making eye contact and without showing your teeth. http://running.about.com/od/safetyissuesandtips/f/dogsontherun.htmhttp://www.associatedcontent.com/article/630579/how_to_act_when_you_encounter_a_stray.html

Thank you! The very best and fastest way to get yourself bit is to act like prey and run. Even a poodle has enough chase instinct and speed to catch up to you and bite you.

Do make sure that the dog's shots are up to date, and if you are really dedicated to going the lawsuit route, you could sue for your damages in small claims court.  That won't cost more than another day off work, court fees and some more stress.

Sorry you got bit, hope you heal quick.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Careless Dog Owner Rss Feed  

of 2