General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Surgery for Morten's Nuroma Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-16 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Subject: Surgery for Morten's Nuroma
I developed Morton's Nuroma in 2 of my nerves in my right foot. I had both the cortizone and the alcohol injections for them....to no avail... So now I'm thinking I'll have to get the surgery for it at the end of this season. I can usually run about 3-4 miles before it gets to painful and depending on the surface, but I definitely cannot go beyond that distance right now.

I am wondering if I loose the 40-50lbs I know I need to loose (I'm currently 180lbs and should be about 135-140) will this make a difference with how much longer I can run before the pain starts to set in. Eventually I want to be able to do a 70.3 and a full Ironman, so I know I won't be able to make that distance on a Nuroma.

Has anyone else ever had surgery for Morten's Nuroma? How did it go and how long were you off your feet? Any input on this would be much appreciated.

2009-02-17 11:03 AM
in reply to: #1965095

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Surgery for Morten's Nuroma

I had surgery several years ago. i think it was about 3 months before I could run with no restriction.

It has been painfree ever since. Best decision I made. I fought it for about 5 years trying everything, orthotics, injections, etc etc. 

I would do it again.

2009-02-17 8:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
I'm glad to hear this. One dr. I went to said he wouldn't do the surgery because I was too "active" and he thought I wouldn't have the patience to recovery properly. I will be finding another doctor!! I know that if I don't get the surgery and get rid of the damaged nerves I will never be able to run past 3-4 miles. To me that is just not acceptable.

Did you go to a podiotrist or and orthopedist?
2009-02-18 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

oh definitelty find another dr.

I had mine done by an orthopedic surgeon. I had it about 5 years ago and have been pain free ever since.

2009-02-20 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
I had the surgery a few years ago. One of the best decisions I've ever made. I had it late summer and it took a good three months before I felt comfortable doing any hard running again. I was literally on my back for the first week after surgery, scooting up and down the stairs on my rear. I was surprised at how long (three months) it took to recover, but extremely pleased with the final result. The next year, I did 7 sprint triathlons, one half marathon, one 15k run, over 1500 miles of biking, numerous 5 and 10K runs, etc, etc, etc. Not a bit of trouble. I highly recommend it. Find a time that the surgery fits around your schedule and do it. You won't regret it.
2009-02-27 1:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I had the surgery when I was in high school running track many years back. It was the best decision I ever made--the cortisone shots wouldn't cut it and I could not really even walk without pain. Now, many years later I run entirely neuroma pain free. I could not have kept running had I not had it done.

2009-02-28 7:41 AM

Expert
Just to let you know it is possible to avoid surgery in some cases, like mine. I used orthotics for years. Now it is a non-issue. Just be careful to get shoes with roomy toe boxes. I used a foam insert called a Hapad or something like that. Good luck to you.
2009-03-16 2:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Well, I got a new shoe that favors my type of foot fall. The Brooks Axiom. I went to a run specific store and got someone to actually watch me run in the shoe to determine the best kind for me. I'll be getting an over the counter orthotic next week, and trying that out for a while. And if that doesn't work, I have a doctor lined up to try a medical grade, custom fitted orthotic to see if that helps. If all of that doesn't work, then I'm getting the surgery. I can't stand this stupid foot pain any longer. I feel like I want to go in myself with a steak knife and rip the nerves out of my foot!! I hate that I am limited by something as ridiculous as misplaced toe bones that is holding me back from running for more than 30 min. at a time. I DO NOT ACCEPT THAT!!!!
2009-03-16 4:10 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

I hear ya, sister.

I hope this works for you.

*fingers crossed*

2009-03-16 10:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

I got Morton's Nuroma this past February.  However, only when on the bike do I feel any pain.  The pain is like my three outer toes on each foot are on fire and I was screaming because of the pain.  So much so that I've had to cut long rides short.

I found out through coincidence that this was being caused by my bike shoe (specialized).  The thing is that they have some arch support built in and are also quite narrow.  The arch support puts my feet at an angle, i.e.: it feels like I'm riding with the outside of my foot as it's on a slant. Thus squashing my toes together and agrevating the nerve between the 3rd and 4th toes.  A mate at the bike shop put equalisers in my shoes under my orthotics so that my foot is flat and not on an angle.  This quick fix got me through IM ok.

Now I'm buying different bike shoes that don't have the arch support.  As for running shoes I use New Balance as they come in different widths.

I feel your pain though.  Have you seen a podiatrist?

2009-03-18 7:21 AM
in reply to: #2022139

User image

Veteran
I am having pain around my 4th toe and severe cramping in that foot when I run. It is also aggravated when I bike. If you take the 3rd and 4th toes and pull back on them the pain is awful. I have had stress fractures and it does not feel like a stress fracture. Could this be a Mortens Nuroma ??

2009-03-18 7:24 PM
in reply to: #2022139

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
ForrestGump - 2009-03-16 10:33 PM

I got Morton's Nuroma this past February.  However, only when on the bike do I feel any pain.  The pain is like my three outer toes on each foot are on fire and I was screaming because of the pain.  So much so that I've had to cut long rides short.

I found out through coincidence that this was being caused by my bike shoe (specialized).  The thing is that they have some arch support built in and are also quite narrow.  The arch support puts my feet at an angle, i.e.: it feels like I'm riding with the outside of my foot as it's on a slant. Thus squashing my toes together and agrevating the nerve between the 3rd and 4th toes.  A mate at the bike shop put equalisers in my shoes under my orthotics so that my foot is flat and not on an angle.  This quick fix got me through IM ok.

Now I'm buying different bike shoes that don't have the arch support.  As for running shoes I use New Balance as they come in different widths.

Hmmm...I wear Specialized bike shoes and had some toe-numbing issues (only on right foot). Now I'm wondering if it's the BG footbed that Specialized puts in their shoes? Dang it...and I just bought a new pair of bike shoes...you guessed it, Specialized. I hadn't noticed that they were narrow...but perhaps they are too narrow, if my toes keep going numb eh?
2009-03-18 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2024745

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Fred Little - 2009-03-18 8:21 AM

I am having pain around my 4th toe and severe cramping in that foot when I run. It is also aggravated when I bike. If you take the 3rd and 4th toes and pull back on them the pain is awful. I have had stress fractures and it does not feel like a stress fracture. Could this be a Mortens Nuroma ??

I would be pretty positvie to say that this is a Nuroma. My foot would cramp CONSTANTLY before and after the nuroma pain would set in. It was aweful. If you feel like your running on the bones in your foot and the ball of your foot becomes painfully, firey numb, then that is definitely a nuroma. You can also get nuromas in between multiple toes. I have them between the second through the fourth. Check out this website: http://www.mortonsfoot.com This site came in very useful for me.
2009-03-24 3:51 PM
in reply to: #2026607

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand
nscrbug - 2009-03-19 12:24 PM
ForrestGump - 2009-03-16 10:33 PM

Hmmm...I wear Specialized bike shoes and had some toe-numbing issues (only on right foot). Now I'm wondering if it's the BG footbed that Specialized puts in their shoes? Dang it...and I just bought a new pair of bike shoes...you guessed it, Specialized. I hadn't noticed that they were narrow...but perhaps they are too narrow, if my toes keep going numb eh?

I know!!  I've just bought new bike shoes (Northwave Aerlite 3 Road Shoe), which cost me another load of $$  Which is annoying, but if it means I can ride pain free then so be it!!!

2009-04-14 4:48 PM

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts

I have been living with Morton's Neuroma for the past 10 or more years, in both feet.  I have also done the cortisone shots and was not brave enough to do the alcohol.  I tried orthodics, but experienced knee pain when using them.  I am so glad to hear that surgery can work. I have not been able to walk barefooted in ages because the pain is so severe.  I have lost 50lbs in the past year and that has only helped a little.  So keep us posted if you decide on the surgery and let us know how it goes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Surgery for Morten's Nuroma Rss Feed