General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Homemade Swim Trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-19 9:09 AM

User image

Subject: Homemade Swim Trainer

Okay, I did a forum search and found a few things (including this link: http://www.byrn.org/gtips/swimcords.htm)  but I didn't quite find exactly what I am looking for. 

Has anyone made their own homemade swim trainer?  I read on ST about a guy who screwed a few pulley's into the studs on his wall, attached some weights (or perhaps it was stretch cords?) , and he made a homemade swim trainer.  I don't have $1,000+  to spend on a Vasa or Triton -- and due to my schedule, and the nearest pool being 20 mins away, I can only hit the pool twice a week, and I really would like to set something up in my garage so I can get that 3rd swim workout in. 

I'm thinking with a weight bench as a platform, and a little elbow grease, I can come up with a cheap alternative to the Triton or Vasa.  Has anyone done this?  If so, do you have pics or set-up advice? 

Thanks. 

2009-02-19 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1970191

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Homemade Swim Trainer

Yep.

Bench, stretch cords, and one of these to anchor the cords to a solid object (a pullup tower, in my case).

http://www.spri.com/ItemGroup.aspx?ItemGroupID=17&CategoryID=24&ItemGroupTypeID=2 

2015-04-01 10:59 PM
in reply to: Dream Chaser

I did exactly that. I used a flat bench. Then I screwed a very good size bolt into the wall into the 2x4. Then I hooked my bungee cord onto the hook and pulled my bench out from the wall so that my hands were fully extended with very light tension & then simply began to swim. Works great! Nothing fancy, just a good swim workout!
2015-04-02 7:31 AM
in reply to: mheili

User image

Veteran
Maine
I bought a set of Halo cords, anchor them to a door frame and use them with a bench I had.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Homemade Swim Trainer Rss Feed