General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hey all Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-22 7:26 AM

New user

Canton, NY
Subject: Hey all
Hey all. My name is Tom and I go to college in Northern, NY. Just started training for my first triathlon and to say I am green to this sport is a severe understatement. I wondering if anyone out there could answer a question for me. Two actually. When I am swimming I seem to be swallowing air. Altough it's certainly better than swallowing water, what am I doing wrong and how do I stop it? Also, what starter bikes have people had luck with in tha past. Thanks much for any help!!! Peace all.

2005-03-22 8:25 AM
in reply to: #132625

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Hey all

Welcome Tom! 

I'm not sure I could help you with your first question since I thought that was a good thing .  I assume that you are having difficulty breathing properly, but I'm not sure from your description what the problem is.  On #2 there are lots of options.  You can use a mountain or hybrid bike especially if you are starting with a shorter distance.  You could look for a used bike or you could look at virtually any of the name brand entry level road rides.  The most important thing is to get a bike that fits you.  If you don't know much about bikes now, a trip to your local bike store is probably worth your while.

Good luck with your training!

2005-03-22 10:27 AM

New user

Canton, NY
Subject: ---
When I am done with a lap it seems that I have more air in my stomach than was in my lungs during the actual swim. Is it a matter of relaxing? I am clueless on this one. Anyone have any ideas?
2005-03-22 7:11 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Hey, upstate NY'er, welcome to BT! Good luck with your training, sounds like you're into it, and just working out the kinks...way to go!

Hopefully we can catch up with you sometime this summer. Bunch of us are planning on coming over to watch Lake Pacid IM, where a few BT'ers are running it. Us slugs are just gonna cheer, and maybe ride a little in the mountains. But we'll let you know if we're coming over, keep your eye on the group training forum.

In the meantime...

For the bike question, it depends a lot on your budget, your racing goals, how aggresively you want to pursue speed vs. flexibility, and your starting point. BT resource worth sending a PM to: The Bear.

For the swim question, boy, you got me. Sounds like a pipe mix up issue. BT resource worth sending a PM to: Fromer.

Anyway, welcome to the site, Tom and look forward to seeing your progress.

Rick

Edited by rkreuser 2005-03-22 7:12 PM
2005-03-23 11:02 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Take this with a grain of salt because I don't have a lot of swim experience, but I did the air-swallowing thing sometimes at first. I think it was because I wasn't very efficient and not rolling enough, so I was short of breath and gulping at the air when it was there. You may need to roll more or slow down your stroke rate a bit to give yourself time to breathe your lungs full without gulping. Also make sure you exhale while your face is in the water so you have time to breathe in comfortably. Concentrate on filling your lungs as you breathe instead of just gulping air into your mouth.
Edit: You might even practice breathing more with with your abs and stomach muscles too, so that you use your diaphragm as well as your chest to get deeper breaths.

Edited by Micawber 2005-03-23 11:21 AM
2005-03-23 1:07 PM

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Welcome, Tom. This is a great group - they answer all your questions even though most of them have been asked 1000 times before!
Definitely read the post from Macawber - the exhaling out your full breath under water is a critical piece of proper breath mechanics.
Don't worry about having your ultimate dream bike for your first few races (and when you get into this more, you WILL have an ultimate dream bike, trust me). You can do a sprint or longer on any bike that is in good working order - but if you have a mountain bike you probably want to swap out the knobby wide tires for some road tires.
Go to it, buddy!

2005-03-23 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Ventura, California
Hey Tom...Welcome fellow newbie!!!!

I am 3 weeks into training for my first Tri and I definitely agree that learning to breathe out underwater is really key. There just isnt enough time to breathe in and out on the roll and I found that I was in the same predicament as you when I tried to...

With the bike, I went with the "whatever is in the garage" approach. I took a Mountain Bike down to the local shop, got it all tuned up, and had a set of road tires put on. It only cost about 100 bucks (a lot cheaper than a new bike) and it works just fine for me. I also set a reward for myself that when I complete my first 3 tri's (scheduled by mid summer) I will look at getting a Tri bike...in addition to just finishing my first tri...it is a good motivator...

dc
2005-03-23 2:12 PM

User image

Elite

Hey Tom,

I get air in the stomach a bit.  I think it comes from getting a bit of water in your mouth as you breathe and then swallowing it.  You take in some air with the water as you swallow.  I try 1) not to get water in the mouth by rolling as breathe and 2) when 1 fails, I just expel any water that gets in as I exhale rather than swallow.  3) When both 1 and 2 fail, I belch.  That's life.

On your question about your first bike.  For a thousand triathletes, there are a thousand stories about the first bike.  It depends on the money, time, and opportunity.  Needless to say, if money is in short supply, it will take a little more time to find the right opportunity.  Just wait around a while until something good pops up.  In the meantime, use an exercise bike at the gym, borrow a hand-me-down from a friend who has upgraded, use an old mountain bike from childhood, or any number of creative alternatives to get you started. 

There is a nationally ranked professional triathlete that used to brag about riding a bike he bought used for $500 in all his Ironman events.   Maybe this will be you someday.

TW

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hey all Rss Feed