General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for April open water swim clinics in Southeast/MidAtlantic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-23 6:19 PM

Subject: Looking for April open water swim clinics in Southeast/MidAtlantic
I live in the NYC metro area and want to practice open water swimming before my June 6th season opener Tri. Looking for open water swim clinic to practice so that I do not panick in the water on race day. Are there any open water clinics or good "practice" lakes to swim in April in the Mid Atlantic? I would even fly to Florida if there was a good one there.

2009-02-23 8:52 PM
in reply to: #1978052

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: RE: Looking for April open water swim clinics in Southeast/MidAtlantic

If you can't find one in april, there is one in reston, va on may 23rd.  this clinic is on the 23rd followed by a 1mile or 2 mile swim on the 24th if you want to put your new skills to the test.

http://www.restonmasters.org/

reston, by the way, is a 25 minute drive from D.C. if you want to make a trip out of it.  If you fly, it is about a 5-10 minute drive from Dulles.

good luck!

Edited by hooslisa 2009-02-23 8:54 PM
2009-02-23 9:53 PM
in reply to: #1978052

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Looking for April open water swim clinics in Southeast/MidAtlantic

Irongirlorbust - 2009-02-23 7:19 PM I live in the NYC metro area and want to practice open water swimming before my June 6th season opener Tri. Looking for open water swim clinic to practice so that I do not panick in the water on race day. Are there any open water clinics or good "practice" lakes to swim in April in the Mid Atlantic? I would even fly to Florida if there was a good one there.

If you don't mind traveling to North Carolina, there is a sprint distance triathlon on April 18th at Belews Lake, a 750m swim, 13m bike and 5k run and it will be wetsuit legal.  Sign up by March 1st and the entry fee is $50.

There is also an OWS clinic the weekend before, on April 11th for just $5 and I don't think you have to be registered for the race to participate.  There will be instruction and a chance to ask questions and from what I can tell, you can actually get out in the water and practice.

This is what is printed on the race website:

This event will offer an Open Water Swim Clinic lead by John Dewey (a former USA National Team Member) on Saturday, April 11th at 1:00 PM. John will discuss open water swim techniques and offer hands on help for all participants. This is for anyone who would like to practice open water swimming before race day. Cost will be $5 per participant. There will be a small course set up with buoys. Refreshments will be available. This is open to all particpants and ability levels.

Here is the link the to event itself:

http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=1088

Or, on May 16th there is a "super sprint" at Surf City, NC - a beach/ocean swim.  This super sprint is a 750m swim, 4m bike, 2m run, 4m bike again, and a final 1m run.

The link is:

http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=1088

In case you are interested, I'll be doing the Belews Lake on April 18th as my first race of the year and also as my first OWS ever .... I'll also be at the OWS clinic on April 11th.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for April open water swim clinics in Southeast/MidAtlantic Rss Feed