General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hey where is everyone located in Maine?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-01-15 11:13 AM
in reply to: #1980807

User image

Veteran
Maine
Subject: RE: Hey where is everyone located in Maine??

I guess I'll give this thread a bump.

Gorham here.

Getting ready to take a shot at my first sprint tri(s) this year.  I'm looking at the Pirate for my first one, still working on my schedule to make sure that one will fit.

2012-01-15 3:59 PM

New user
Woolwich, Maine

Hello there,

My name is Dawn and I'm in Woolwich.  I completed my first triathlon last year - the Pirate Tri.  I've signed up to do it again this year and I can't wait.  I would like to also do the Rev3 oly this summer.  If anyone is in the area and would like to train let me know.  I need motivation to get in the pool again.  I work in Westbrook and I can train down there after work.  Once the roads get better this spring I plan on riding the Pirate Tri's course once or twice a week.  I want to master the killer hill

2012-01-16 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine

Dawn,

Name here is Chris.  I'm signed up for the Pirate as my first tri and will be hitting the pool in Westbrook soon.  I've also signed up for the swim clinic in March at Bowdoin.  I grew up swimming but never competitively and not much at all in the last 10 years.

2012-02-07 6:58 AM

Hi All,

I moved back to Portland last fall and just signed up for the Tri for a Cure. I did one tri last summer, and the swim was miserable. I'm hoping to get some coaching this spring to better prepare, and would love some training buddies as well!

Kiersten

2012-02-07 10:34 AM
in reply to: #4033223

User image

Veteran
Maine

Welcome back to Portland and welcome to BT!

I have a couple of friends who have done Tri for a Cure and they really enjoyed it.  I'm signed up for my first two tris this year.

2012-02-08 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4033223

New user
Woolwich, Maine

Welcome Kiersten and congrats on getting into Tri for a Cure!  I did the bike portion in the Tri for a Cure in a relay group last year.  It is a nice ride that doesn't have too many hard hills. 

I think taking swim lessons is a great idea.  I took some in 2010, and it definitely helped out.  I still had a hard time in the swim but I'm sure it would have been much worse if I hadn't had the lessons.  I couldn't even swim a full lap in the pool before the lessons. 

So far I'm only signed up for the Pirate Tri but I'm planning on adding a few more to the schedule soon.  I'm up for training with people too!  I work at Idexx in Westbrook so I can train afterwork on most days. 

2012-05-25 11:03 PM

User image

, Maine
Kennebunkport...

and I not only know where Arundel is, but my husband teaches at Mildred Day!

Haven't done a tri since 2008. Been fighting off some health challenges but am back in the hunt. It's gonna take a year though, 2012 is out. So far just getting through a workout without plantar fasciitis pain or whipping out an inhaler is my major goal for now.

I can be found at Planet Fitness, Biddeford for now. Not ready to rejoin the ranks of the tri buddies.

See you around when I get put back together!

----------------
Races completed:
CELT Tri Sept 2007
PolarBear May 2008

Half marathons:
Maine Coast Women's Half Sept 2007
Half at the Hamptons Feb 2008
North Face Endurance Challenge, San Francisco Dec 2009

2012-06-07 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4230103

User image

Veteran
Maine

KaraMaddysMom - 2012-05-26 12:03 AM Kennebunkport... and I not only know where Arundel is, but my husband teaches at Mildred Day! Haven't done a tri since 2008. Been fighting off some health challenges but am back in the hunt. It's gonna take a year though, 2012 is out. So far just getting through a workout without plantar fasciitis pain or whipping out an inhaler is my major goal for now. I can be found at Planet Fitness, Biddeford for now. Not ready to rejoin the ranks of the tri buddies. See you around when I get put back together! ---------------- Races completed: CELT Tri Sept 2007 PolarBear May 2008 Half marathons: Maine Coast Women's Half Sept 2007 Half at the Hamptons Feb 2008 North Face Endurance Challenge, San Francisco Dec 2009

Look forward to seeing you at some of the tris next year.  This is my first year so I'm just getting familiar with everything.  I've been tempted to join the Kennebunk Tri club but it's a little too far for regular participation.

2012-06-07 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3580560

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
mainerunner - 2011-07-05 6:12 AM

Ok, so I'm going to eat some serious crap for this...i started this thread and never did anything about it....I was signed up to do the Pumpkin Man and backed out for fear of dying in the water (haha)

I have continued to run and bike a ton...I ran 14 miles last night for my weekly long run and usually bike 50 miles a week.  So last Thursday I decided enough is enough and signed up to do the Timberman Sprint in August...(What??)  I know crazy concidering I still can't swilm more than 75yrds with out having to stop.  So my goal is to swim at least 3 times a week up until race day and I will be recieving my Wetsuit this week...i will be honest, I'm relying on the Wetsuit to get me to the end of the swim but I'm so freakin scared

So to get back to this thread...again...Anyone close to me in Springvale / Sanford??  Any first time sprinters to share a beer with and a story would be so Great...someone earlier in this thread suggested to have a meet and greet for mainers...I would love that and will travel to meet others.

So now that I'm locked in I need support...BIG TIME....I look forward to hearing from you all sorry I dropped the ball 2 yrs ago...When i read this again I was very inspired...

Take care,

Rich

Where to swim in the Portland area?   

2012-06-08 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4250434

User image

Veteran
Maine
Blueraider_Mike - 2012-06-07 4:13 PM

Where to swim in the Portland area?   

Places I'm aware of:

Pools - Portland Y and Westbrook Community Center Davan Pool

OW - I've heard Crystal Lake in Gray is common.  I'm planning on doing some at Pine Point in Scarborough.

2012-07-16 8:24 PM

Up in Jackman.  Me my wife and 2 friends are all budding wana be triathletes.  After years of road races, recreational rides and swimming (my wife not me) we are trying to put it all together for our first tri in September in Portland at the Maniac tri.

2013-03-25 6:29 PM

Windham, ME.  This is my firs time considering a tri.  I will do Tri for the Y in Freeport, ME in May. I guess I am just looking for a new experience, get off the couch and actually do something besides work.
2013-03-27 9:18 AM
in reply to: #4674184

User image

Veteran
Maine
Welcome to BT neighbor.(a few miles south of you)  A friend of mine did that tri last May as her first race.  It looked like it was well run and they had a great turnout.  Hope you enjoy it!
2013-08-02 8:02 PM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

New user

New York
Hi everyone,

I will be moving to Portland, Maine in 2 weeks and am looking for a triathlon club to keep motivation and keep training (I have only done 1 sprint tri and particularly want to improve on the swim). Unfortunately I won't have a car so can't venture far from the area. Which one is your favorite club?

Many thanks!
-Mae
2013-08-07 7:02 AM
in reply to: musketeerlady

User image

Veteran
Maine
Mae,

Welcome to BT and I hope you enjoy Portland when you get here.

I belong to the Kennebunk Beach Tri club which I really enjoy, but that won't work for you without a car. The TriMainiacs are Portland based and I've heard good things about them. Their website, http://www.trimainiacs.com/, is a bit out of date but I've heard they are still active. Once you're in town you could check at Gorham Bike & Ski on Congress St. or Maine Running on Marginal Way to see if they have any more info. The club may be affiliated with one of those shops. Touch base when you're in the area if you need additional info.

CD
2013-11-10 4:41 PM
in reply to: mainerunner

User image

I'm in the Farmington area.

2013-11-17 10:29 AM

User image

Any one from the Bangor Area?? I don't believe there are any clubs in this area but I would love to start one/get some training partners.

Last summer was my first tri season, I competed in 4 triathlons, with the REV3 olympic distance ending my season. I had a pretty successful season but looking to improve and find other people to train with and push me!
2013-11-24 10:15 PM

User image

Lewiston here anyone know of a club for here that I missed?
2014-01-06 11:30 PM

User image

Farmington...well actually the village of Temple
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hey where is everyone located in Maine?? Rss Feed  

of 3