General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First Triathalon: Sprint or Olympic ????? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-27 1:20 PM

Subject: My First Triathalon: Sprint or Olympic ?????

Hey guys, I am debating between which race to enter as my first go at a triathalon...Sprint or Olympic...

I was able to complete my first organized race, a 1ok in an hour without much pushing, although i did run for about a 6 weeks to train. I am a very confident swimmer...can swim maybe 30 minutes without rest at a decent pace. Biking i am unsure, but know i can ride for a good hour without complaining. Adding the three together in a row is totally new to me.

I am 28, actively play bball and work out 2/3 times a week.

May 16th is the Olympic

June 13th is the Sprint

It is now Feb 27th.

What do you recommend? I am thinking the Olympic is a real challenge but do-able...I feel the Sprint will be a bit easy. Am i underestimating the Sprint?

Let me know your opinions, thanks guys!

-Jordan

2009-02-27 1:23 PM
in reply to: #1986103

User image

Subject: RE: My First Triathalon: Sprint or Olympic ?????

Sprint.  Go all out and come back and tell us how you feel

For your first I'd say do a sprint.  I am very confident that if you want to go longer, no matter where you live you can find an Oly after June to do

2009-02-27 1:23 PM

User image

Master
syracuse

if it were me, and it kind of is, I would do 3-4 sprints throughout the summer and do an olympic in aug/september.

enjoy race season.  it'll be christmas before you know it.

you dont want to do too much, too soon.

2009-02-27 1:30 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

Do you want to compete to place or are you just trying to finish and have fun?

If you are not sure about the bike, I'd question the olympic.  That is the longest part of the race and you more than likely will be riding for a solid 1hr 30mins before running.  I'm assuming you already have the proper bike ready to go.

It's hard to tell based on what you said.  But if you think the sprint is going to be easy, I'd say you are underestimating it severely.  Easy to finish without bonking on the run? Ya probably for alot of people.  Easy to be competitive and finish in the top of your age group?  Well, I don't know the race your planning, but I highly doubt it.

If you just want to finish, go for it.  You have nothing to lose but the race fee and it will be an awsome experience in my opinion.  I'm planning my first one this year too as a sprint and then moving to olympic later in the season.

Good luck either way!

2009-02-27 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

I have an athletic background, did my first tri last summer, and decided on a sprint because I was a little worried about the OWS. 

As far as the difficulty level, with the sprint, the distances aren't long, but it is still hard if you're going at an all out effort and it will be challenging. 

2009-02-27 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
Highly recommend the sprint, the Olympic is tempting, but take it from experience, I did my first sprint last May, and 6 weeks later did my first Olympic and bonked real bad (if you've never felt a bonk before, it's not fun).  I severely underestimated the much longer bike portion and went way too hard, and paid for it dearly on the run.  Figure things out on the sprint first, see how you do and if you feel really good when you finish the sprint, go with an Olympic distance later on in the year.

2009-02-27 1:46 PM

Oh, and it's "triathlon".

(yes, I know, I'm mean)

2009-02-27 1:48 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I think your key phrase here is "Adding the three together in a row is totally new to me."

I'd do the sprint first to see what its like doing three in a row. Don't underestimate what each leg takes out of you. Try to incorporate some multi-discipline workouts into your routine and see how your body reacts to running after riding or riding after swimming.
Good luck with your season ahead and welcome to BT.
2009-02-27 1:56 PM

I mean first off, this message board in like a chat room, fast as hell with the responses, awesome.

I am going to finish not to place...but will try my best to challenge myself.

I guess the Sprint is the obvious choice as a start...it is the total hour and half  to 2 hrs time that i figure i could do that is disappointing..based on the amount of training involved....but i know training is a huge part of the excitement.

So the verdict is, the Sprint it is...of course I will be kicking myself when i am competing saying..."how the hell did I ever think a Sprint would be easy?"

2009-02-27 2:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
If you think the sprint is easy, you arent going nearly fast enough!! You should be out of breath with your hair on fire for most, if not all of it (okay, maybe not your first one...).

Just a sensitive point with me. I exclusively do sprints..and I can't stand when non-triathletes say "oh ...that doesnt sound so bad". Absolutely not. See you at the swim start
2009-02-27 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
sounds like you already decided but I wanted to add my 2cents. I am doing my first race this year as well and I decided on an Olympic in June. I have a strong background in distance aerobic workouts (rowing/crew) plus a lot of time in on a bike (commuting) previous to training. I also really love to challenge myself and I would be going to finish not to compete. I have had plenty of time to train and I do feel an improvement in following the BT plan I am doing. I think that by the time it come to race I will be ready to do it all and feel good about it. If you have a lot of time to train then I would say go for the olympic with the goal to have fun! (but that is just me talking - and remember it is my first too, but that was my thought process as I choose).

2009-02-27 3:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I would say do a sprint first. Especially for your first race, and being new to biking...
Enjoy the race and enter an olympic-distance later in the summer or fall.
Dee
2009-02-27 6:27 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Go for the sprint. If you go all out and blow up you won't have so far to crawl at the end. Also after finishing it will become quickly apparent that transitions are as important as the other legs in the race. That one minute a mile you worked so hard to achieve in running gets tossed away trying to figure out how to go from goggles and a wetsuit to cycling shoes and a helmet. It was a very humbling experience for me.
2009-02-27 6:58 PM

New user
As was said, looks like you have already decided, but here's my two cents:  go for the Oly.  Given your current level of fitness, and the time between now and May, you can easily get in good enough shape to finish (and enjoy) an Oly.  My first tri was last year, and it was an Oly.  Second one, an Oly.  Getting set for the race season this year, starting off with an XTERRA, and then a week later, HIM, along with another HIM during the season, a couple of Olys, and finishing with IMAZ.  No desire whatsoever to do a sprint, it just seems to short to me.  So, I say go for the Oly.
2009-02-27 6:58 PM

New user
i agree with the others on doing the sprint first.  olympics are no picnic, you have to remember that you will be racing for close to 3 hours with no stops (unless of course you are a speed demon).  running a 10k after 25 miles on a bike is certainly not easy, let along the 1.5k swim (especially if it's in the open water).  definitely start small and work your way up.  good luck!
2009-02-27 7:16 PM
in reply to: #1986818

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

No desire whatsoever to do a sprint, it just seems to short to me.

I love a sport that has its sprint race take 1 /12 hours (+ or - 15 min for most). It's even better when many people don't do them because they are too short. 

"I was going to enter a 10K race but it was too short". You don't hear that too much and it would take many runners the same amount of time as a sprint tri.

It is more common to hear, at least from me: "I decided to only swim the 5K because the 1500m was too short". Keeping in mind a I do a 5K OWS in the same time I do a sprint tri.

It is part of why I think the sport is so great. Not only the differences among the different legs of the race, but also the different experiences you can have from a sprint to an IM. Not much discussion in an IM if it is worth the time lost to put on socks.

2009-02-27 7:20 PM

New user
Ok, I guess I should phrase it as "it just seems to short for my purposes"  Yes, 1-1.5 hours is not exactly short, but how often are your work out runs and bikes longer than 1 hours?  For me, quite often, at least 2-3 times per week.  So, a 1-1.5 hour sprint is shorter than the workouts I do on a regular basis, and thus, for my purposes and enjoyment, a sprint tri is not worth the time for me.
2009-02-27 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
If you are READY to race, and the olympic is first, then JUST DO IT.  My first inclination would be that a sprint would make more sense, and that is what I am doing for my first.  If the olympic fits your schedule, then go for it...GOOD LUCK
2009-02-27 8:16 PM
in reply to: #1986852

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

caelric - 2009-02-27 5:20 PM Ok, I guess I should phrase it as "it just seems to short for my purposes"  Yes, 1-1.5 hours is not exactly short, but how often are your work out runs and bikes longer than 1 hours?  For me, quite often, at least 2-3 times per week.  So, a 1-1.5 hour sprint is shorter than the workouts I do on a regular basis, and thus, for my purposes and enjoyment, a sprint tri is not worth the time for me.

I did not mean to sound critical. I actually do think it is part of what makes this sport so great.

Many years ago I skied 40 miles in one day across the Alaskan Tundra pulling a 60lbs sled. It must have taken 12 hours but I loved ever minute of it. Cross country skiing for an hour on a groomed is a different kind of experience.

For me a sprint is really a race. An oly is racing with a much higher pain tolerance. A HIM? I'll tell you in June after I've done my first.

2009-02-28 2:54 PM
in reply to: #1986852

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
caelric - 2009-02-27 8:20 PM

Ok, I guess I should phrase it as "it just seems to short for my purposes"  Yes, 1-1.5 hours is not exactly short, but how often are your work out runs and bikes longer than 1 hours?  For me, quite often, at least 2-3 times per week.  So, a 1-1.5 hour sprint is shorter than the workouts I do on a regular basis, and thus, for my purposes and enjoyment, a sprint tri is not worth the time for me.

Again, its not the time factor, its the intensity. I ran 10 miles this morning. That is probably longer time wise than most of my races will be this year (for all three legs). Not sure of the point though. After 65 mins of my hair on fire in a race, I am begging for mercy and easily more exhausted than I was this morning.

Its a "to each his/her own" type of thing though.

That being said...first one..I would still stick with a sprint. If you are trained well, you can do the olympic..but I would get your feet wet (literally) with the short one just to get the feel of a race. Racing ain't trainin'. They are a world apart.
2009-02-28 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
I vote Sprint.  I did two, then an OLY and finished with a HIM in my first year.  It was a perfect way to progress through the distances.  Also, you will make so many mistakes in transition on the first few.  It is common and a rite of passage. So, doing more of them will give you more experience. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First Triathalon: Sprint or Olympic ????? Rss Feed