General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting line or Finish line? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-03-01 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Starting line or Finish line?
I was trying to pump up my mentor group now that it is March, and this little gem popped into my head..... "Getting out there and standing at the starting line with a number on your chest, feeling that nervious anticipation of what is about to come...... That is a feeling I live for, that is one of the reasons I work so hard in the dead of winter, so I can get that feeling and find out what comes next."

Many people have said getting to the starting line is far more rewarding than crossing the finish line. What do you think?

For me, while the feeling at the finish can be a much higher high (see Kona RR), it can also be a much lower low. The start is always special. It is always the same tingle of nervious anticipation, the feeling that something special is about to happen, and in that last 30 seconds as the start approaches and when this feeling creates a hush over the entire field it is a very cool vibe to expirience and observe. It doesn't matter if it is an Olympic finial or a local 5K you see that same effect and it never fails to send a chill down your spine. One of my favorite memories of Kona was those last two minute floating in the water with 1700 other people completely lost in their own visions of what was about to go down...and then the cannon sounds and the maddness begins.

2009-03-01 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1989555

User image

Expert
Columbus
Subject: RE: Starting line or Finish line?

This is an excellent question and for everybody the answer will probably be different shades of grey.

Finishing a big race and accomplishing the goal that you set out for is a huge lift.

But it is an hour, 4 hours maybe even 13 hours or more but the time in the race is a very small slice of what people have put into it.  That coupled with the x factor on race day that may derail the race mid way or lead to a DNF, I would say that getting to the starting line (meeting training goals) is the bigger accomplishment.  Getting there says you put in the sweat and dedication.  You received many benefits from the work put in and the training is more controllable than the race.

I love finishing and finishing strong.  I know I felt bad in an early tri and at cross country districts when I suffered terrible side stitches and consequently had poor times.  I felt bad when I had a flat tire in a tri that caused me to run 6 miles to get to T2.  I became severely dehydrated in my first marathon and hit the wall - I finished in 3:48 and then took a trip to the ER.  I know would be crushed if I ever had a DNF.

However, I would feel worse if I lost my health and fitness level.  If I could not meet training goals, if I ran myself to injury, got lazy, leaned on excuses or had an avoidable crisis that prevented me form getting there.  i know for many beginners the starting line IS the race.  To those people my hat is off.  But I also love to stay and watch races until all of the finishers cross the line.  I get emotional when I see a middle aged marathoner cross teh line for her first time in 5:30.

So for me, while the finish line seems like a bigger deal.  i would be more heartbroken if I couldn't get to the start.  And for all of you who are training for your first Tri - you are my inspiration.  Live it.

2009-03-01 8:53 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Being at the starting line is my favorite part of every race. I love the excitement and the energy. I've never felt nervous at the start and look at races as chances to show the work that I've put in before getting to that point.

The finish line, for me, can have a lot of "what ifs." What if I ran more miles in training or pushed a little harder on the bike course? Would I have been faster?  I don't feel that way at the start. At the start, I feel like I've done what I could to prepare myself and it's time to show it

Edited by vball03umd 2009-03-01 8:58 PM
2009-03-01 9:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I love the start line.  No better way to start off a day but I train to finish not just start.  I have yet to feel disappointed crossing the finish line.
2009-03-02 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, Georgia

Wow great question.  I think I would have to go with the finish line overall.  It is hard to top the feeling after a great race and the high of completing a hard fought race.

That said the start line takes the cake for being that same rush everytime!

2009-03-02 8:52 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Finish line probably for me.  Because it means "I'm done" and can relax for a little while (or just a few days before ramping it into the next cycle of training).

2009-03-02 8:56 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I'd say finish line includes the starting line. You can get to the start and not finish but it's a lot harder to get to the finish without starting.
2009-03-02 8:59 AM
in reply to: #1991130

User image

Champion
the colony texas

starting line,,  Depending on if it's my "A" race or not,, I'll be happy/nervous/ and just a twinge of disappointment since it will be over soon and I'll need to find a new goal, training partners etc.  but having all those emotions bubbling up to the surface is a great thing..

the finishing line is great also but in a totally different way, so really you can't lose...  It's like asking should I go out with the Super Model that has tons of cash this weekend or go out with the rich heiress that just looks like a super model...

2009-03-02 9:00 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
For me, the race is the test.

Sure, I can feel confident that I took good notes and studied well. But I won't know for sure that I'm really able to apply all that learning until I've actually taken the test and know the results.

It's all about the finish line.

2009-03-02 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1991140

User image

Expert
Columbus

mrbbrad - 2009-03-02 9:56 AM

You can get to the start and not finish but it's a lot harder to get to the finish without starting.

great quote

2009-03-02 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
At this point in my evolution as a triathlete, it's not really about the starting line or the finish line. It's about the race day experience as a whole. Getting up early, seeing most of my friends at the race and cheering them on, enjoying the post race food on a nice summer day, etc. Don't get me wrong, I still love to train and race hard, but at this point the result isn't really the main thing anymore.

2009-03-02 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
I am still building up to my first Tri (new for this year) but for road races (running) I would have to say that the start has the most excitement and finish the most satisfaction. The finish tends to be a blur as I usually run all out at the very end and am just hoping not to puke, but ten minutes later I am satisfied and fee content, for a few days anyway!
2009-03-02 9:37 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

I dunno... seems more about the finish to me.  A few days after the race, when I look back, I don't think to myself, "wow!  I started that race!!  that's awesome!!"  You don't see people listing in lists of accomplishments "4-time Ironman starter." 

I'd rather be a one-time Ironman finisher than an N-time starter.

This year, I'm out for the season.  Next year, sure I'll be glad when I start my first race after coming back from my Achilles tear, but the accomplishment won't be complete until I finish a race.  Not start one.  All I need to do to start a race is sign up, pay the fee, and show up.

Edited by newleaf 2009-03-02 9:39 AM
2009-03-02 9:40 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I like the feeling at the finish line better.  You know you're done and that you've accomplished everything.  At the starting line, I get really nervous.  It's exciting, but there's always the worry if I can't finish this race.
2009-03-02 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Columbus

A lot of you are express the way you "feel" when you finish.  There is no doubt it is better to finish than merely start but I think the point is not in the feeling but in the work that went into it. I'm with you - very competitive.  I don't even care if I win my age group much - I am after the overall awards -Not everyone is in that boat.

I have a friend who finished 20th out of 20 in the athena division of her first tri last year.

Did she feel great about finishing - YEAH.  Was it more significant to get to the starting line.  YES!

I think the starting line is more imortant to people trying to achieve a level of fitness in their lives that they have lost.  And I always remind friends and family that even if they are last in the race or even a DNF - they still beat the other 2 million peole who didn't get to the starting line. So my friend was really 20th out of 2,000,002.

2009-03-02 10:40 AM

Depends, I guess. Crossing the finish line is awesome, because that means I DID IT. I have bragging rights, and all of my hard work paid off (or I have lots of things I know I have to work on, which just maintains the vicious cycle that is triathlon obsession). The starting line has its own merits, though, as it takes a lot to get there in the first place. So not completing either one, for whatever reason (either by choice or circumstances beyond your control, like injury) SUCKS. It sucks way worse when you had a goal and were stopped from completing that goal (like my ill-fated marathon attempt this past fall - quashed only 4 weeks out - or for example, if you had to DNF a race due to a crash, injury or serious physical condition), because at least if you choose to DNS or DNF, the blame is on you, and you know better and you can't really get angry or sad about it.  

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-03-02 10:42 AM

2009-03-02 10:54 AM
in reply to: #1991500

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I think a lot of it depends on your experience in endurance sports, the expectations for the event, the enormity of the event (IM or big marathon for example), and your level of preparedness.

For many newer athletes the start is the big thing because it is the thing that they have worked so hard to get to.  For the more experienced athletes I would think it is the finish as chances are, they will measure it against a similar race that they've done before and their expectations for the event.

Just some thought ......

2009-03-02 11:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Rota, Spain
For me it also depends on the race:  For a shorter or non "A" race, the start line is when I am really amped up.  For longer or "A" races the finish line shows that I am able to complete my BIG goals and get 'er done.
2009-03-02 11:06 AM

User image

Last year training for April IMAZ I got a grade III shoulder separation 10 weeks out.   All I wanted was to get to the start line.  I DNF'd

Getting to the finish line in November was MUCH sweeter

2009-03-02 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denton
I'm finish line all the way - I don't really get that full sense of accomplishment until I've completely reached my goal.  Also, at that point the adrenaline and endorphins have really kicked in and I'm on cloud 9.  And knowing that post-race snacks (hopefully pizza) are just around the corner???  Yep, finish line for me.
2009-03-02 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1991540

User image

Miami,FL
Daremo - 2009-03-02 11:54 AM

I think a lot of it depends on your experience in endurance sports, the expectations for the event, the enormity of the event (IM or big marathon for example), and your level of preparedness.

For many newer athletes the start is the big thing because it is the thing that they have worked so hard to get to.  For the more experienced athletes I would think it is the finish as chances are, they will measure it against a similar race that they've done before and their expectations for the event.

Just some thought ......

2x!!! you hit it right on the head! for many new athletes as i was a year ago, the sense of accomplishment that you made it though training and you're at the starting line means that you've succeeded in what you set out to do months before. While the finish line its always amazing, when i look back at my first race i remember the feelings of joy and excitement i had, sure finishing was VERY nice, but getting there was a much more rewarding journey.

2009-03-02 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Great responses. This is a opinion/personal taste thing. Thanks for sharing your views.

A couple points have come out. Reaching the finish line of an 'A' race, of your first marathon, your first triathlon, your first Ironman, or achieving a lifelong dream such as finishing the Boston Marathon or coming down Allii Drive at Kona, there is very little that could ever compare to those magical moments. But how many races have you finished, sure was glad to be done, but if I'da only (fill in the blank). Often, the finish line has a bit of regret since we won't always live up to our personal expectations for that race.

But the tingle I get at every race, just before the start is special. The promise of what is come, accepting the challenge that lies ahead, knowing you are ready, or even the more electric feeling when you are about to voyage into uncharter territorry (prior to Ironman Florida, I never felt more alive standing on that beach). But whether it is a sprint tri I've done 4 time before, a local 5K at for my YMCA, or a major race such as Kona or Boston, the start is always electric.

Both can be great feelings, but I prefer the consistant reward/rush I get the moments before the start.
2009-03-02 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran

The start is sweet.

The next sweetest is when you know you are going to finish. 

The best is after the finish and before I look at the final results sheet.

2009-03-02 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1992186

User image

Sensei
Sin City

The finish, no question.

The start is just a bunch of nerves (GOOD nerves), work, stress...  Just not fun for me at all.  I all think about is hearing the horn so we can start this thing.  THEN I'm at home with my training/racing.

The finish means it's done, I succeeded.  I can rest for a few days before starting up my next plan...

2009-03-02 3:34 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

For me it is about the finish line. I think anyone can line up to do a race, but not all can finish the race.

I would also go a step further and say for me it is about finishing and meeting a goal (MY GOAL, NO ONE ELSES) Last year I had a full season under my belt and this year I am going to do the same exact schedule again. It will not be as great just lining up to do these races again, but it will be AWESOME to finish these races after a year of good solid training.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting line or Finish line? Rss Feed  

of 2