General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big Chain Ring vs tension on stationary bikes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-25 12:38 PM

Subject: Big Chain Ring vs tension on stationary bikes
The only problem, and it's not really a problem, per se, that I have with Spinervals (whereby the videos show triathletes using regular bikes with indoor trainers) is that I am not quite sure what tension I should be putting my stationary bike on??....I get a great workout, as he explains the type of resistance you should be feeling....and output, etc...so, I just go with what burns, and leave it at that. But, is there a better way to gauge the "real" bike tensions with a stationary/indoor bike. I don't have a spinning bike, but it's a high quality one, with tension ranging from 1-10. 10 is a pretty rough upclimb feel, so I use that for the tempo efforts....I use 6-7 (moderate tensions) for interval training sets. I'm in pain (good pain) after the workout is through, so I must be doing something right....haha

If you have any advice--I'm listening. :=)

2005-03-25 1:09 PM
in reply to: #134162

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-03-25 2:57 PM
in reply to: #134178

Subject: RE: Big Chain Ring vs tension on stationary bikes
Tri Lizard - 2005-03-25 1:09 PM

I would like to hear any thoughts on this as well. We got a smokin' deal on a Lemond Revmaster spin bike last year and it's very cool piece of equipment to have in the house. Hubby pretty much uses it to "spin" when the weather is too hot or it's raining. I use it too but I just get on, pedal, watch the tube and keep checking my watch. I did convince the hubby to use the same pedals on the spin bike, my road bike and my mountain bike. One pair o' shoes and no hassle. I would like to use this bike more purposefully (is that a word). It has the tension knob so it's not real easy to "gear". Aside from hiring a Spin instructor to come to the house and scream at me can anyone make any suggestions.

Also if you have one of these bikes or use one that has the Pilot wireless cadence meter (showing cadence, distance etc.) do you like it? I am thinking of getting that little add-on for my hubby's birthday. Kinda of like when Homer got Marge a bowling ball for her birthday. Yeah, it was for HER birthday.

http://www.lemondfitness.com/products/revmaster/index.html

Spinervals is a great video workout that will help you with your indoor cycling training...and he DOES scream at you, to give you that "life like" feel of a spinning instructor. haha Go to www.spinervals.com and you can see the variety of the tapes that they offer--cool site. Take care!
2005-03-25 7:03 PM
in reply to: #134216

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big Chain Ring vs tension on stationary bikes Rss Feed