Chesapeake Bay Running club
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 03m 30s
Overall Rank = 9/200
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30. Normal breakfast. Coffee. Drank some Cytomax.
Event warmup:

None

Chatted with Rob and walked out to the start line.
Run
  • 3h 03m 30s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m  min/mile
Comments:

It was definately an unusually warm March weekend. I had been running all winter with tights and 3 layers of long sleeves, gloves, a hat...... This was the first run in months that I could wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt. I acutually wore my tri top because it was sleeveless. A little unexpected and might be partly to blame for the collapse in the last few miles.

The plan was to run 7:00 miles for the first 2-3 miles and work up to a 6:45 pace. The first mile was 6:53 which was good. I sped up a little after that and ended up running the next few miles around 6:40. Time was 40:20 at the 6 mile mark (6:44 pace). This part of the race is along the water and is very pleasant and flat. Beautiful views and very littel traffic. Pretty uneventful up to the halfway mark. I ran a 1:28:00 half. (6:43 pace). My family passed by in the car at this point and I waved with a smile. I had either Ultima or water at every aid station. Ultima is really gross and I'll never drink it again. Gel at the 11 mile mark and 14 mile mark. Felt fine up to mile 17 or so. There were some hills at miles 16 to 21. I slowed a little in my pace but didn't think it was a big deal. I had time in the bank and figured the hilly miles would be slower. I passed the 20 mile mark at 2:16 which meant I needed to run a 44 min 10K. I really started to feel the strain in my legs at this point. I felt like I had the energy to push through the final 10K but my legs just didn't want to move. I took gels at the 19 mile mark and 22 mile mark. Passed the family at the fire house at the 22ish mile mark. They cheered for me but I was really starting to fall to pieces at this point and could barely say anthing. I passed the 23 mile mark at 2:38:30. I saw that I had to run a 21:30 for the final 3.2 miles. I really didn't think I could do it and sorta gave up. The last 3 miles were probably 8 min miles. I might have been able to push a little more in the last 3 miles....but that would have put me at 3:01-3:02 which would have pissed me off even more.

When I crossed the line, I experienced a new level or leg soreness. I could not even step up on the curb to go see my family. I couldn't even sit because bending my legs hurt too bad. I had to fall on the ground like a tree that just got cut down. It hurt when I fell but not as bad as bending my legs.

It might have been a little overly aggresive to try to break the 3 hour mark for my first marathon. I really thought I could do it. A 20 mile training run followed by 10K of truth. Well, "truth" looked me in the eye and said "I don't think so bitch".

Drank Ultima or water at every aid station. Gels at mile 11, 14, 18, 22.

Big thanks to my family and parents for cheering me on. I LOVE small events like this because they are so much easier for my wife and kids. It's great having them at my events...especially at the finish line. Seeing my 3 year old jumping up and down at the finish is beyond awesome.

What would you do differently?:

Start off at a more conservation pace. Maybe 6:55 instead of 6:45. It's hard to say whether that would have made a difference in the final 10K or not.

I ended up taking 4 gels during the run and my stomach was fine. I think this is enough. I really don't think fueling was an issue....just didn't have the legs.
Post race
Warm down:

I ran over to see my family and take pictures. I tried to be pleasant but I was actually is excruciating agony.

I waited for my "tri buddy" rob to finish. He crossed the line around 3:46 and walked over like he had just been on a Sunday stroll. I guess that's the difference between an experienced marathoner and and first timer like me. It hurt my legs to shake his hand....that's how bad I hurt.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I trained all winter in 30 degree whether and it was 60-70 on race day. I *might* have been a little dehydrated at the end. I did drink at every aid station but I tend to sweat alot and should have tried to get 2 cups at every stop. It probably wouldn't have made a difference though...I just didn't have the legs for the final 5-10K.

Event comments:

Great local race. Organized and on time.

The first half of the course is beautiful. Along the water with minimal traffice. The 2nd half is hilly on a state road. Plenty of aid stations

Great venue if you have loved ones that want to come out and cheer. There are several spots along the way where spectators can park and cheer the runners. You can literally follow somebody along the course if you want. Travelling is easy.

If you like smaller, low key events....definately check this one out.

Last updated: 2009-01-02 12:00 AM
Running
03:03:30 | 26.2 miles | 07m  min/mile
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 9/200
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back loops along water and than another out and back on a state road with a few hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes