General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Countdown to IMAZ - 15 Days Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-25 2:21 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Subject: Countdown to IMAZ - 15 Days

I thought that it might interest a few of you to see what a couple of normal, everyday, joes do the last couple weeks leading up to an Ironman race.  BrianPBN did this for Kona last year, so this is how working stiffs build to their first Ironman.  The idea is that either madcow (Tom), devo27 (Chris) or I will start this thread each day, and we can talk about our workouts that we did that day, and what we have coming up.

General

This is the first week of my "taper", although the only real difference between this week and the previous three is that there is only one big event on the weekend.  My longest training session in each discipline was a 4000 meter continuous pool swim, done 22 days before the race; a 121 mile bike ride (followed by a 4 mile run) done 20 days before the race; and a 19.7 mile run, done 49 days before the race.  I have followed the program, and I think that I am ready.  To read a little more on what has happened to this point, check ou this thread in the IM forum:

OK, I have made two acquisitions to my gear collection.  The first was yesterday, when I (finally) received my DeSoto Black Pearl wetsuit.  I modelled it for my wife and she was either impressed or amused, I not sure which.  It was fairly easy to get on and off, but of course I was dry when I took it off...  I plan on taking it to the pool this weekend to see how fast I am in it, then next weekend I am going to go to a local open water joint to give it another test drive.  The other gear acquisition is the shoes that I (think I) am going to wear in the race.  I have run on Nike Pegasus for the past 15 months, going through 3 pair.  The latest pair is close to wearing out, and instead of buying a 4th pair of Pegasus, I decided to buy the Nike Shox 2:45.  I am going to take them out for a test run this weekend to see if I am comfortable with them.  If not, I can always run in the old Pegasus.

Last workout

Yesterday evening, I did a one-hour run while pushing Grace and Ellie (my 5- and 3-year old, combined weight 73 lbs) in the Baby Jogger.  The goal was just to go out and keep it nice and easy and run around for an hour, and I did just that.  I only timed the last two miles, and they were 9:00 and 8:30, respectively.  The 2nd-to-last mile had a good bit of headwind.  Afterwards, I drank my usual recovery drink of 16 oz of skim milk mixed with 5 tablespoons of sugar.  Can you believe that:  1) A 7-mile+ run is no big deal to do on an afternoon after work?  2) I actually like the tast of that recovery drink?

This morning, I did a "long" swim set.  Fridays have been the day for my long swim set of the week, but since this is the taper week, I cut it back to 12 X 200 as a main set, 3000 meters total.  My times for the 200's were all between 3:30 and 3:35, with the exception of the first and last, which were 3:25 or so.  I threatened to give up after 8, then again after 10, but I did not and I am very happy about that.  On the last set, I found myself racing the girl in the next lane, who was using a pull-buoy and paddles.  I saw her at the first turn, and she was about two body lengths ahead.  I decided to catch her, and leave her at the next wall, but apparently she picked it up, as I caught her indeed, but then she continued to pace me for the next 150 meters.  See, swimming *can* be fun.  Can you beleive that:  1)  A 2400 meter main set is scaled back for me?  2)  I can actually swim that fast?  3)  I really enjoy swimming now?

What's next

I have an easy 1-hour ride this afternoon.  It's a fartlek-style ride with a few randomly placed 10-20 second accelerations.  I am going to ride the flat loop, which is about 18.5 miles.  If I go especially fast, I can always add a little bit through my neighborhood.

Tomorrow morning, I have a key workout.  It's a 3 hour/1.5 hour brick.  I am going to treat this just like a race, wear the same clothes, drink and eat at the same rates, execute a smooth and timely transition.  Each leg should be taken out to the halfway point at Z2 effort, then it's ok to come back at Z3.  I anticipate covering 56-58 miles on the bike, and 11 - 11.5 miles on the run.

2005-03-25 3:17 PM
in reply to: #134204

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: RE: Countdown to IMAZ - 15 Days
I guess I will join in. First of all I knew I had a 3 week taper but I thought it started next week. So I was quite surprised to see we have 15 days left... Can you tell I haven't even thought about how much time was left. Now I am scared. I thought I wouldn't get scared until I got to Az, but nope it's happened now...Thanks Phil!

General
I just got back from making my last acquistion. New Aquasphere goggles that are tinted because half of the swim will be right into the sun. I also bought a Bento box for my bike that I tried out last week. It worked great. I could carry my salt, a Peak bar and gel in front instead of in my jersey (Out of sight out of mind).

Last workout
Now that I think about it, this week has been light for me, but it didn't feel like a taper. Again, like Phil I threw on the wetsuit for a 5100 yard swim. It felt great, I could have swam for another hour, easy. The problem is the stupid velcro in the back. What genius decided to put the sticky part of the velcro facing the skin on your neck??? I swam 11 x 400 on the 6:45 with about :11 to :13 rest between sets. At set 8 I had to readjust the neck because I could tell it was going to burn. After the 400's I swam 4 x 100 on the 1:45, 2 x 50 on the :55 and 4 x 25 on the :30, all with about :12 sec rest. The best part of the swim was my pool changed their hours and opened up the children's pool which means they have to add more lifegaurds. I was still one of the only people swimming. When I finished my 400's one lifegaurd moved the clock next to my lane and was standing over me watching. When I finished my 25's there were 4 of the 6 lifegaurds standing by my lane and someone asked what I was training for. I told them and we talked for about 15 min about triathlons. I asked if I needed to get out and they said "Stay as long as you need" I felt like a celebrity. The realty was there actually was another hour left before the pool closed...some celebrity . I was at the gym yesterday with my kids and one of the lifegaurds said to another, "That's the Ironman", which was pretty cool.

What's next
I have a 5 mile run and another swim workout planned tonight. I was going to blow off the run because I can't find a sitter and I hate the treadmill, but now that there is only 15 days left I guess I will be doing a run/ swim brick at the gym. I was again thinking of wearing my wetsuit tonight. I will keep trying until I can swim with no neck burn issues.

Tomorrow I have a hard, relatively flat 60 mile ride, trying to stay aero as much as possible. Followed by a 6 mile run. I am meeting my buddies who are hammerheads so I will just try to hang on.

My nutrition has been weak. This thread will help keep me on track, I hope. My kids and I have eaten out a lot this week and not much has been too healthy. I have been trying to hydrate for this weekend. At work it's easy. I have a 1 liter bottle that I fill up with water 5 times a day and more on thur and fri. At home I forget and drink when I'm thirsty. Well, gotta go get some water
2005-03-25 4:34 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
You guys rock!! Enjoy the taper and get ready for the big event.
2005-03-25 5:08 PM

User image

Great thread.

"That's the Ironman"  How cool is that!???!??!

Keep posting these!

2005-03-25 6:24 PM

Regular
Henderson, Nv
I will look forward with great anticipation to reading this thread each day. The inspiration you guys have given me, even though I am only training for my first sprint Tri, has been incredible. My hats off to you three and all of the participants in the IMAZ in 15 days. Good Luck, you'll do great!
2005-03-25 9:25 PM

Champion
Do you guys know what your race numbers are yet? Or will you find that out during race-pack pickup? I'm hoping to catch some of it on the Ironman Live web-cast, and it'd be cool to spot you guys on the internet!

Have a great race...we'll all be pulling for you!

2005-03-25 11:37 PM

User image

Champion
MA
You guys are amazing and I appreciate you giving us a glimpse into your training and how it integrates into your lives. I know secretly many of us hope one days to follow in your shoes and do our first Ironman.

How cool...to have the lifeguards support and remember you...you are the ironman.

I can't wait to hear/watch on the live webcast. Be sure to post your numbers or your full names so we can search for you and keep up with you as you race.

Have a great taper!!

2005-03-26 3:48 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi Guys!

I will be working at IMAZ this year and next year it will be racing in the event (my 1st full IM).  I'm getting pumped reading your workouts!! Great stuff - keep it coming!!  Maybe I'll see you guys out there.

Dan

Edited by dhyte 2005-03-26 3:49 AM
2005-03-26 5:15 AM
in reply to: #134229

Veteran
Texas
The first swim I  used body glide on the neck and it didn't stop the chaffing.  Last year I put duct take on the back of my neck and it would have worked had I used two pieces, it wasn't wide enough in the verticle direction.  I have a high end QR which has a flap covering the velcro but it doesn't help at all as the flap itself causes chaffing.  This year I'll use 2 pieces of duct tape, you really dont notice it.  Sweat can get into your chaffe during the run.  Just a minor nuisance but it takes a little away from the race.
2005-03-26 8:09 AM
in reply to: #134364

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI
Anyone have the site details for IMAZ webcast?
2005-03-26 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Phil, Tom......my HR is about 10 bpm higher than it was before reading your posts.

I am so excited for you guys. You have both put in so much hard work to get to this point. I'm sure that the workouts will get easier as your tapers progress, but they will get harder, too, from the stress. When the stress and worry starts to creep in, do yourselves a favor. Take a peek at your training logs from December or January, or even from just a month ago, and see how far you have really come! Watching your progress has made me very confident that you both will have a great time on race day.

Thank you both for sharing so much of your journey with us. You are truely inspirational for all of us!

2005-03-26 9:44 AM
in reply to: #134371

Champion
fb444 - 2005-03-26 8:09 AM

Anyone have the site details for IMAZ webcast?

Check this link, they usually webcast them:

http://www.ironmanlive.com/
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Countdown to IMAZ - 15 Days Rss Feed