General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hyner Trail run : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-12 12:35 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Hyner Trail run : Official Thread

I am a Hyner first-timer. Any tips or advice about the course? I've been training pretty hard since about Christmas, so I feel pretty prepared. I just don't want to DNF on my first race! The good thing is that I have a ton of support both training with and racing with me on that day.

2009-03-12 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2013627

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-03-16 1:46 PM

New user

Subject: RE: Hyner Trail run : Official Thread
Went to Hyner this weekend and only planned to do approx. 9 miles of the course...just to get a taste. Accidentally kept on going and completed the whole thing. Completed all but the first and last mile of the race on flat land across the bridge in 8 hours (hiking...there was very little running). It is tough terrain in spots, although it is simply breath-taking with the views and hike up Huff Run. Since I didn't plan to complete the whole course yesterday, I did not have enough provisions. I know better now, to carry a fully stocked pack, regardless of what the plan is. Not in as much "pain" today as I expected. Can't wait to get back out there and do it again...faster!!
2009-03-24 3:28 PM

Veteran
State College, PA
Subject: RE: Hyner Trail run : Official Thread

Wow, Lyons!  That's great.  I have heard great things about the race, but have only been to Hyner by car to see the view.

I'm still up in the air on wether I'm racing, but I'm hoping to be able to do it.  A lot of my friends are doing it, so I've been getting the pressure pretty hard.  It's my wife's b-day weekend, and I don't want a race to cramp the important stuff in life.

BTW - I have been training for the Rothrock Challenge, which is in the beginning of June.  Is anyone else doing that race?

I'm not sure it has the same number and intensity of climbs as Hyner, but it's 18.6 miles in Rothrock State Forest near the Tussey Mountain Lodge (outside of State College, PA).  My friends and I have been meeting every Sunday at 10am to do 8-11 miles of the trails.  It's really beautiful and a good mix of technical terrain, steep climbs and some calmer moments like smooth flat jogs and some nice vistas.

And if anyone wants to come along on the runs, it's an open group and pretty fun people.  We keep a moderate pace and use the "slinky" method to make sure noone is ever left behind for too long.  I usually bounce around in the middle of the pack.  Email me at [email protected]

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hyner Trail run : Official Thread Rss Feed