Other Resources My Cup of Joe » If you have Department Store Credit Cards, or any Credit Cards... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-03-13 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2014862

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Subject: RE: If you have Department Store Credit Cards, or any Credit Cards...
SweetK - 2009-03-12 9:48 PM

Check your APR/Finance Charges...

I just noticed that all the APR's for the cards I have have gone up! I have zero balances on most of them (thank goodness) and good credit and still the cards rates have increased significantly.

As an example:

Target Visa: Finance Charge now 20.99%, it started out at 14.99% in 2007
Chase Visa: Finance Charge now 14.24% up from 10.99%

Talbots: Finance Charge now 22.90% previously 18.99%
Macy's: Finance Charge now 26.90%, previously 22.99%

I don't know what rates other companies have, but my good old Credit Union Visa is holding at 10.29% and is not going up. Thank goodness.

If you have some companies to list, please do, I think it would be a good thread of reference for BT'ers.

I really don't shop anywhere other than TJ Maxx and use my debit card or cash for all purchases, no credit cards. I have boycotted Macy's since July 2008 as a result of their APR and most recently, since last month, boycotted Target b/c of Target National Bank and also Talbots. Although I don't carry balances, I find it a complete travesty these lenders are squeezing more out of the American consumer. The result is people carry higher balances b/c of APR's, they can't pay off their cards, and they can't and won't shop and therefore they can't stimulate the economy b/c of the credit crisis. I'm boycotting on principle even though I am a fashionista

I haven't yet boycotted Ann Taylor (that would be a travesty for me) but I fear their day is also coming.

I have made many phone calls to the banks, sent complaints to my Attorney Generals office, the Federal Banking Commission, and BBB's and really, no one listens to the consumer! I would love to start a national petition... I have to figure out how to make a valid one because I'm serious about this. The consumer is of no value to these companies and they DO NOT and WILL NOT adjust APR's... and if you decline the APR increase, you keep your former APR but have to close your card. As a result closing your CC your Credit Rating goes down. You just can't win.

I'm in a good position, but I feel for others out there. I had CC trouble right out of college and it only took one time to learn a hard lesson... I could only imagine what some are feeling now with the CC victimization but also loss of their jobs, homes, etc...

Thanks for listening..I had to vent

SweetK: I'm with ya and I appreciate the heads up. We never carry a balance, but I will definitely check what they are when I get home to make an informed decision should we need to buy a water heater or something and don't have the liquid cash on hand to pay for the whole thing.

2009-03-13 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2015925

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
the bear - 2009-03-13 12:32 PM
klowman - 2009-03-13 11:19 AM

If I close the account it hurts my FICO, plus I think that gves them the option to demand the balance in full and seeing how all these banks got themselves into trouble I believe they would.

I don't know if I still have the option to cancel, but it would create the same problems as if I closed the account.

Closing the account may not hurt your credit card as bad as you think, certainly depends on your overall credit history and how this card fits into it.

Regardless, closing the account is not your only option, and certainly not worth paying an extra 10% or more. What is stopping you from finding another card with a lower rate of interest, or refinancing the outstanding balance under another lower-cost option, and leaving the CC account open?

This is probably what I'll do.  It's just that I really liked it when it was a Wamu card.  I had no annual fee, could do anything I wanted with the card online ... could log into my account and it provided a FICO score from one of the Credit Bureau's ... I could pay onine even on the day before the due date and it would still credit on time, etc ... it was the best card I've ever had.

With Chase, the options and functionality available now are so much less ... and I'm not sure if I can get all that with a new account I open and transfer the balance to.

Oh well.

2009-03-13 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2015832

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
deskjockeyjim - 2009-03-13 9:53 AM
There's no federal law I'm aware of that guarantees the 'chargeback' under any circumstances, other than contract law. 

"By law, once you report the loss or theft, you have no further responsibility for unauthorized charges. In any event, your maximum liability under federal law is $50 per card."
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre07.shtm

Do you have any experience to back up your statement or is this just your gut feeling?  Your statements have typical 'anti-debit card' FUD all over them.

Common sense and cautionary tales are my experience. You can search the 'net yourself and read as many debit card nightmares as you want.

Or don't. I'm against debit cards for you. I'm against them for me.

BTW, your attempt to belittle my finance knowlege was noted. True, I don't work at a bank or a credit union. However, my credentials in finance and investments are actually pretty impressive to most.

Edited by breckview 2009-03-13 12:51 PM
2009-03-13 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2015836

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Bripod - 2009-03-13 9:55 AM
You're wasting your time - I already posted that link above and he didn't believe me.

I really had no interest in debating the minutia of this but since you've decided to patronize me...

I did read the link you posted and there are so many red flags, I barely know where to start...

For example the statement,

"Get quick resolution and provisional credit.
If applicable, your financial institution may remove fraudulent credit card transactions or extend provisional credit for losses from unauthorized card use."

Which is footnoted by:

"Does not apply to ATM transactions, PIN transactions not processed by Visa, or certain commercial card transactions. Individual provisional credit amounts are provided on a provisional basis and may be withheld, delayed, limited, or rescinded by your issuer based on factors such as gross negligence or fraud, delay in reporting unauthorized use, investigation and verification of claim and account standing and history. You must notify your financial institution immediately of any unauthorized use. Transaction at issue must be posted to your account before provisional credit may be issued. For specific restrictions, limitations and other details, please consult your issuer."

I really don't need to call my contract attorney to see the potential problems with that "contract", policy, web page, fairy tale, whatever.

I don't think either one of us went to law school but isn't the difference pretty obvious between the above and a federal law that, according to FTC, states "IN ANY EVENT, your maximum liability under federal law is $50 per card."

Edited by breckview 2009-03-13 1:22 PM
2009-03-13 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Just noticed a typo above that I'm unable to edit. I meant to say, "I'm NOT against debit cards for you."
2009-03-13 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2016152

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
breckview - 2009-03-13 1:18 PM

I don't think either one of us went to law school but isn't the difference pretty obvious between the above and a federal law that, according to FTC, states "IN ANY EVENT, your maximum liability under federal law is $50 per card."

Okay, then let's compare apples to apples.

"ATM or Debit Card Loss or Fraudulent Transfers (EFTA). Your liability under federal law for unauthorized use of your ATM or debit card depends on how quickly you report the loss. If you report an ATM or debit card missing before it's used without your permission, the EFTA says the card issuer cannot hold you responsible for any unauthorized transfers. If unauthorized use occurs before you report it, your liability under federal law depends on how quickly you report the loss.

For example, if you report the loss within two business days after you realize your card is missing, you will not be responsible for more than $50 for unauthorized use. However, if you don't report the loss within two business days after you discover the loss, you could lose up to $500 because of an unauthorized transfer. You also risk unlimited loss if you fail to report an unauthorized transfer within 60 days after your bank statement containing unauthorized use is mailed to you. That means you could lose all the money in your bank account and the unused portion of your line of credit established for overdrafts. However, for unauthorized transfers involving only your debit card number (not the loss of the card), you are liable only for transfers that occur after 60 days following the mailing of your bank statement containing the unauthorized use and before you report the loss."
Source: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre04.shtm

So, I suppose I have to concede that if you wait more than two business days and fewer than 60 days after a fraudulent charge is made then a credit card gives you $450 more security than a debit card. If you wait more than two months to report fraudulent activity then you're just out of touch with the world and you deserve whatever you lost. Going back to your earlier comments:

(A)As you state, the debit card companies claim the same fraud liablity but it's not true. (B)It's a company guarantee as opposed to a federal law. (C)I'm sure it's fine until someone drains $50k out of your account. (D)In that case, I have a feeling it might not be that easy to collect.

A. You are correct, I was wrong. [technically you're wrong, because as evidenced in the link to the Visa site I am correct, but since we've moved onto federal law we won't dwell here]
B. You are incorrect, it is federal law [see above]
C. In this example, it would be unreasonable to expect someone not to notice for more than 60 days that this activity has occurred, given the amount of money in question, therefore the difference in liability is $450 [which bank in its right mind will require its client to pay $450 worth of fraudulent charges once they're proven to be fraudulent?]
D. Yeah, it's federal law, dude. [see above]

Edit: technicality regarding point A due to wording.

Edited by Bripod 2009-03-13 1:42 PM

2009-03-13 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2016189

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Bripod - 2009-03-13 12:39 PM
B. You are incorrect, it is federal law [see above]

Dude. There is a big difference between not being responsible by federal law to pay a bill, and a federal law that states you're not responsible (under complicated terms) but must be repaid by someone under questionable terms if any. In the former case, YOU DO NOTHING. In the latter, you have to get someone to give you your money back.

In the five minutes I spent reading internet cautionary tales, I learned that whoever is required to repay your money will give you a "provisional credit" at which point many people think it's over and do nothing further, but that's not the case. There are other hoops they must jump through under filing deadlines to get final repayment or they are out-of-luck. Further, it appears getting them to actually pay you back on a timely basis is a huge hassle with some never getting repaid. Did you see any actual firm and well-defined repayment terms in the FTC text you posted? Who exactly is going to enforce those terms if they actually exist?

I've had a waiter twice steal my credit card or number and run up thousands in purchases. I've lost my wallet and had someone go on a spending spree with my cards. I got scammed $2300 on ebay once which I luckily paid w/paypal using Amex. Every time, I made one phone call MAXIMUM and never heard another word about it.

I'd never in a million years carry the key to my bank account on my person. I don't carry checks and only use them when it's my only option for the same exact reason. That's just me. You do whatever floats your boat. I'm done. No hard feelings here. I'm going skiing
2009-03-13 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2016478

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
breckview - 2009-03-13 3:12 PM

I'm done. No hard feelings here. I'm going skiing

Have a good one! It was nice chatting with you, talk to you later.
2009-03-13 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2015475

User image

Veteran

SweetK - 2009-03-13 8:53 AM I'm upset at the lack of compassion here... The banks can never and never do anything wrong... they get bailout money and still screw the consumer. I'm upset about that, it is "evil" as leapdog so conveniently stated somehow by putting the words in my mouth. I bet for everyone who responded, there are those who read my OP and looked at their CC statements and were shocked and maybe upset as a result they became more aware - for that I am grateful. For the flaming no. BT is just not a community for me, well not the COJ community anyway.

Banks do now wrong?  That's silly.  The point is that you don't have to do business with a bank that is doing wrong.  No need for an Attorney General or boycott or protest.  Just take your business elsewhere.

This is a problem that is so easy to fix with a tiny bit of personal responsibility that to demand some sort of legal solution is overkill.  Let our Attorney's General go out and nail child molesters and we can take care of a crappy bank card ourselves. 

2009-03-13 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2015894

User image

Veteran

If I close the account it hurts my FICO, plus I think that gves them the option to demand the balance in full and seeing how all these banks got themselves into trouble I believe they would.

Dude, close the account.  Screw FICO.

2009-03-13 6:08 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Thing about credit cards is they have all the leverage, I just got shafted by Chase/Wamu, online bill pay does not Guarantee anything, I made a payment to the same bank I have my card with,you would think it would go through in the same amount of time it usually took the other four years, not when they did the Chase /Wamu switch. My Bank told me paid is when they withdraw it from your account, not when it gets posted at the credit card co., they are at liberty to post a payment date when its to their advantage and there is no way to prevent late fees if they so choose. I checked into any laws and don't think there is any that define a posting time frame after funds are delivered through online bill pay. I cant even look at what my rate might be now. I have closed the account since, I don't care if it lowers my rating like they say!

Edited by nevergivin 2009-03-13 6:09 PM

2009-03-13 6:52 PM
in reply to: #2015251

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
TriRSquared - 2009-03-13 6:23 AM

We got a notice from BoA yesterday telling us we got "approved" for a 7.9% rate for all travel purchases (airfare, cruises, hotels etc...).

Then at the very bottom in VERY small print they tell us our regular APR is going up to 29.4%.

We've had this card for 12 years.  Our rate started at 10.5% 12 years ago.  Our credit score is in the 800s.  Have NEVER carried a balance (I think I was late on one payment one time in 12 years) so they have not made a penny off of us. 

And this is a cash back card so over the years they have probably LOST $10k+ to us (we put EVERYTHING on the card including $5000 down payments on cars)

I can't blame them for trying to make money but those rates are getting ridiculous.  God forbid I accidentally miss a payment.

Oh and they time frame from when I get my bill to when it is due has been getting smaller and smaller over the years (it's down to about 11 days now).  I called to complain and they told me "if you carry a balance we can give you more time but since you do not we cannot change it".  Wow...

Just saying, if you think the CC companies are losing any money on you, you are very mistaken. CC companies charge retailers a price per transaction and a % anywhere from around 1.5% - 3.5% per transacation. Whe you put that 5k down on that car, they are making 1.5%-3.5% on the spot. Interest is just gravy.

2009-03-13 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2016594

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-03-13 9:20 PM

Pro
Evanston,
Yeah, my CostCo Amex went through the ROOF a couple of months ago.  I was pretty shocked too, even though I'd heard this kind of thing was going on.  I rarely carry a balance but did one month last fall (waiting for a lot of travel reimbursements.)  So, what, I made sure I'd paid off every penny and stopped using that card.  Problem solved.
2009-03-13 10:20 PM

Veteran

Sweetk,

If you don't like their game, don't play.

2009-03-13 10:45 PM
in reply to: #2017116

2009-03-14 6:20 AM

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Sweet K,

I would suggest you close out the accounts at stores where you no longer shop (you mentioned "boycotting" a couple of the stores that you hold cards with). It's my understanding that just HAVING those cards, even if you don't use them, can affect your credit rating. If you want to keep the ones that offer you discounts at stores where you DO shop, fair enough... but I would just ditch the ones you don't use at all.
2009-03-14 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2017345

2009-03-15 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2016098

Veteran
, Washington

breckview - 2009-03-13 10:50 AM
deskjockeyjim - 2009-03-13 9:53 AM There's no federal law I'm aware of that guarantees the 'chargeback' under any circumstances, other than contract law. 
"By law, once you report the loss or theft, you have no further responsibility for unauthorized charges. In any event, your maximum liability under federal law is $50 per card." http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre07.shtm
Do you have any experience to back up your statement or is this just your gut feeling?  Your statements have typical 'anti-debit card' FUD all over them.
Common sense and cautionary tales are my experience. You can search the 'net yourself and read as many debit card nightmares as you want. Or don't. I'm against debit cards for you. I'm against them for me. BTW, your attempt to belittle my finance knowlege was noted. True, I don't work at a bank or a credit union. However, my credentials in finance and investments are actually pretty impressive to most.

My apologies, I wasn't attempting to belittle you.  I was trying to reply and roll out the door to work at the same time, which apparently doesn't work well. Going back, I can see I could have been more tactful in my response.

One thing we didn't bring up, and I'm sure you'll agree with is that during the fraud process, you can be without that cash for a week or two.  That can be a make or break situation for some folks.  Not all institutions will give provisional credit on claimsFrown.  

Edited by deskjockeyjim 2009-03-15 2:24 PM
2009-03-16 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2016780

Modesto, California

nevergivin - 2009-03-13 4:08 PM Thing about credit cards is they have all the leverage, I just got shafted by Chase/Wamu, online bill pay does not Guarantee anything, I made a payment to the same bank I have my card with,you would think it would go through in the same amount of time it usually took the other four years, not when they did the Chase /Wamu switch. My Bank told me paid is when they withdraw it from your account, not when it gets posted at the credit card co., they are at liberty to post a payment date when its to their advantage and there is no way to prevent late fees if they so choose. I checked into any laws and don't think there is any that define a posting time frame after funds are delivered through online bill pay. I cant even look at what my rate might be now. I have closed the account since, I don't care if it lowers my rating like they say!

And now this!

2009-03-16 1:23 PM

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
DH and I have a Macys card that hasn't seen the light of day in four months (nice b/c we get coupons and the discount, and then immediately make a payment in cash). We have a joint credit card through our bank with a 5.9 % rate locked in for 3 years that we have a couple of bigger purchases on (just got our first place so we've had more expenses than normal) that generally gets paid off every month. And he has a Capital One card that he negotiated a lower rate on about six months ago (went from 20% to 12% just by asking). He purchased a new laptop on that card about three months ago, and we've been paying it down chunk by chunk.

Last week we got a letter from capital one saying they're raising our rate to....29.9%. Holy. Effing. Crap.

Needless to say, we've budgeted about 20% of our tax return to clear that card off and then we're tearing it up and telling Capital One where to stick it.

Generally, the credit cards are used for our bigger purchases or online purchases (race entries?). I got my first card when I went to college, and per my mom's advice, I'd make smaller purchases on it every month ($20 sweater, book, art supplies) and clear the card every month. So I've zeroed my balance every month for six years....pretty happy with that credit score.

2009-03-17 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2015310

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
I worked for credit card company for a while and there is a method to the madness. I do not favor it, but here s thought process:
Higher rates for existing balances = paid off in higher priority
Higher rates for cards with zero balance = hope to reduce credit availability of their portfolio

These companies are seeing higher charge off rates than any time in the past 20 years. As an unsecured line of credit, the risk today is huge.

Few hints:
Dont make purchases for everyday items such as groceries, gas, tuition or cash advances. These get picked up and will flag accout to be monitored. Tryign to catch folks using cards to suplement lost income etc or gorging credit in lieu of pre-bankruptcy.

Try to keep balances under 30% of card limit. Will help credit score.

Many of the comments so far reflect that changes happened without anything above mentioned. Nobody said these companies were all there upstairs
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » If you have Department Store Credit Cards, or any Credit Cards... Rss Feed  

of 3