North Carolina Azalea Festival
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I arrived in Wilmington on Friday, picked up my packet, and spent pretty much the rest of the day hanging out. I met up with one of my fellow running club members, Joey, for dinner at Carrabas. He has run over 25 ultra marathons and he has done several triathlons (he is now training for cda) so he shared lots of stories with me. I went back to my hotel room afterwards and got all of my gear together - it was at that point that I noticed that my bike would not shift into the big ring and that one of my cables was very loose. I tinkered around with it for a bit and then I went to bed around 10. I woke up at 6:30am, packed all of my stuff up, ate a bit of dry cereal, and loaded up my car. I arrived at the race site around 7:15am and I found the guys from Two Wheel Dealer. They were awesome - they basically gave my bike a fast tune up and fixed and adjusted my shifters. I set up my transition area, got my timing chip, and then I went inside to get marked. I still had almost two hours until my scheduled swim start so I went back to my car, ate bread with peanut butter and honey, and relaxed. I went back to the natatorium after a bit to watch the people that had already started and I relaxed a bit up in the balcony.
Event warmup:

I headed down to the diving pool about 40 min before I was scheduled to start. I swam about 200 yards and did a lot of stretching. I took a Gu about 10 min before I was supposed to start.
Swim
  • 08m 25s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I completely psyched myself on this one. I was completely fine until I got in the water and then the nervous factor exploded. The girl behind me kept saying that she was going to catch me and I let that get under my skin. I took off way too fast and I couldn't get into my rhythem which made for a very high heart rate and labored breathing. I ended up breast stroking 50 (around the 125 part) so that I could calm down and then I swam the rest of the way in.
What would you do differently?:

Stay calm and not freak out. This was the worst swim that I have had in a looong time.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

After swimming we had to run down three flights of stairs, outside, down a long sidewalk, past the tennis courts, and then into the transition area. I dried off my feet, put on my socks, shoes, helmet, gloves, and sunglasses and I took off.

Maybe skip the gloves next time? But it was cold so I was glad that I had them... they just took a while to get on.
Bike
  • 41m 47s
  • 10 miles
  • 14.36 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great on the bike! I started off a bit hard so I pulled back a bit so that I wouldn't burn out. I passed six people and I was passed by four (different) people. I felt like I was just getting started when it was time to roll into transition! I did become a bit cold towards the middle of the bike though - it was quite chilly out.

I think that I could have pushed harder but I was happy overall.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I ran with the bike, racked it, took off my helmet, threw on my visor, grabbed my race belt and took off.

Nothing - I feel like I didn't waste any time.
Run
  • 29m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

This was by far one of my better runs. My legs felt a bit like jello for the first minute but then they quickly normalized and I was able to take off. I didn't walk at all! I just kept chugging along and I was only passed by one guy.

I'm not sure - I felt great about this run. I would love to be able to run faster though.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked through the finisher area, found Joey, and grabbed some food. I stretched for a minute and then I went to my car to put on some dry clothes (I started to get very cold very quickly after finishing). I waited around to see my results when they were posted and then I took off for the drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Flipping out during the swim. That was my first time swimming in a race setting and it was quite the experience... but now I know what to expect for next time.

Event comments:

Set Up Events did an awesome job of organizing this race. There were tons of volunteers and plenty of people on the course to direct everyone. I really enjoyed the course and I could definitely see myself coming back again!

Last updated: 2009-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:25 | 300 yards | 02m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot shorts/Hind top
Course: This was a 300 yard pool swim. Everyone started in 15 sec increments with a 1 minute break after every 20 people or so.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:47 | 10 miles | 14.36 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: The course took us through the UNCW campus and then on a loop through some of the surrounding neighborhoods. It was pretty much all flat with just a bit of wind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:55 | 03.11 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: The course was an simple out and back on the sidewalks of the UNCW campus. Just like the bike course, it was pretty much all flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-03-14 8:57 PM

User image

Regular
Leesburg,
Subject: Azalea Triathlon

2009-03-15 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2018384

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Azalea Triathlon

Great job!  That's funny about the girl trying to get in your head.  My first is the Triangle Ortho, which I see you are registered for...I know I'll do something stupid like forget my helmet or something!  Congrats and well wishes!

2009-03-15 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Great, great job Amber!
2009-03-15 5:58 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Congrats, triathlete! Really good job all the way 'round...those are more than respectable times for all three disciplines...great work!

(I hate those time trial start pool swims, by the way...open water...that's the ticket!)
2009-03-16 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Congratulations Amber, that's so awesome!
2009-03-17 11:26 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Great job on your tri! I've not swam in a pool tri. I'm sure it's way different than open water.  Try an OWS next time and see if you like it better. Congratuations!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Azalea Triathlon Rss Feed