General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HOW IMPORTANT ARE PROTEIN POWDERS? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-08-02 3:37 AM
in reply to: #41999

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: HOW IMPORTANT ARE PROTEIN POWDERS?
Hi, David!
Yes, you are right. I have read somewhere that before and after the workout we need easy reachable protein. That's where protein powders (eggs, cottage cheese, etc.) fit in.
Try mix your banana, peanut butter, water/(milk? soya milk? goat milk?) in the blender with a scoop of protein powder. Yummy! (Add more water if it is too sweet.) Or you can find unsweetened brand and add honey, also.
Or mix strowberrys, honey, cottage cheese and sliced almonds.
Peanut butter is nice source of good fat, banana is a little bit too dense carbo but it's ok unless you wont to lose some weight, (but you are not, honey can tell it) and protein part of the meal is missing.

BTW, are you telling us that you are doing your morning seesion with no food before? I'm not sure if it is the fastest way to get results.

Edited by sanjana 2004-08-02 3:38 AM

2004-08-02 3:03 PM
in reply to: #42484

User image

Veteran
Belize
Yes, I'm doing my morning sessions with no food before. Is that bad?
2004-08-03 2:26 AM
in reply to: #12020

User image

Whidbey Island Washington
I would definately try to get some food in before working out. I take whey protein about 30 min before and then a protein based recovery mix after. If you dont give your body a choice of something to use as energy it will break down your muscle. If you have trouble eating before you work out make sure you at least get your whey shake right after.

Rob
2004-10-20 1:49 PM

Regular
St.John's
Well personally I find a lot of good from protein powder. There are alot of natural sources of protein out there indeed ,with more vitamins and nutrients that powder lacks.But I find getting protein into my diet, in easily measured doses, alot easier and conveint with protein powder. I find it hard a lot of times to get all the needed macronutrients into my diet . Between preparing gear , clothes , food , for training as well as balancing the work day and communte, sometimes cooking meals takes a back seat. Protein in powder form is often the best way for me to get protein aboard. I do find some internal discomfort after eating red meat , so which is it kidneys or digestive tract ? I know there is no straight answer. Also , I am not sure where you come from but a natural source of protein cost alot more than protein powder. You can also line a rugby pitch with it as well I am sure.
My favorite source of protein is fresh Cod fish , favourite powder Optimum nutrition vanilla ice cream flavour.

2004-10-21 9:09 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
My favorite way to get after workout protein is some yogurt with dried fruit and a pile of cottage cheese. Super yummy and mostly whole food. Plus calcium... Sometimes, I drink a Myoplex shake too. Decent flavor, lots of protein, lots of vitamins...

-Frank

Edited by scuba-punk 2004-10-21 9:10 AM
2014-10-18 7:26 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

New user

The right high quality protein source will surely make a difference in your training and recovery. If you had told me a year ago,I wouldn't have believed you, but I have seen a tremendous difference. Stay away from soy protein especially if you are a woman and other non-organic gmo sources will hurt more than they help.

2014-10-19 5:14 PM
in reply to: lala14b

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I feel the need to clarify a few comments made here:

1) All protein is NOT the same.
2) Liquid protein will digest faster , but the rate depends on (see clarification #1)
2014-10-22 8:07 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

zombie thread - wow, 10 years nearly!
2014-11-02 11:41 PM

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
I wonder what the OP thinks now or after watching "forks over knives"
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HOW IMPORTANT ARE PROTEIN POWDERS? Rss Feed  

of 2