General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HOW IMPORTANT ARE PROTEIN POWDERS? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-03-12 6:52 AM

Veteran
budapest, hungary.
Subject: HOW IMPORTANT ARE PROTEIN POWDERS?
ARE PROTEIN POWDERS VERY IMPORTANT TO A TRI-ATHLETE DIET?
DOES ANYBODY THINK THAT EATING NATURAL PROTEINS (FORM ANIMAL AND VEGTB ORIGIN)
IS MORE HEALTHY?
I'LL BE GLAD TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK ,I'M GONNA CHEACK IT OUT MY SELF AS WELL.

Edited by shaycahal 2004-03-12 6:56 AM

2004-03-12 8:33 AM
in reply to: #12020

Champion
Subject: RE: HOW IMPORTANT ARE PROTEIN POWDERS?
I think they play a huge part in muscle rebuilding after a strenuous workout. I have a whey-based protein shake (mixed with fat free yogurt) almost daily after each workout and it seems to speed my recovery time. You want that protein immediately afterwards so that the muscles have something to work with, otherwise they will search for fuel, going so far as to tear down other muscle fibers to achieve that. Mixing the protein into a drink helps it get into your system quickly.

Max
2004-03-12 10:35 AM
in reply to: #12038

Veteran
budapest, hungary.
thanks.
so the drinking of the protein shake must take place few min after the train is over? or it can be taken on a larger time interval.
2004-03-12 11:31 AM

Champion
Everything I've read states that you should take it as soon after exercise as possible. The longer you wait, the more likely your body will break down muscle tissue to feed and repair itself.

Max
2004-03-14 7:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho

Protein is a must! Before and after long workouts. But, protein comes in many shapes and sizes. your body metabolizes protein from natural sources much better than from powders. Eggs, 25% or so is absorbed. Whey protein, 14%. and eggs are much cheaper. My 2 cents. Jack.

2004-03-14 7:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
well im convinced...thanx for the info guys, just bought a tin of protein stuff for shakes and concidering more eggs in diet (haven't got the courage to eat/drink raw...yuk)

aidan

2004-03-15 2:36 AM
in reply to: #12381

Veteran
budapest, hungary.
hi.
never eat raw egg white, at least not above two egg white, and not on a regular bases.
raw egg white contain a substance called avidin which prevents the absorction of biotin in the body (important vitamin).
2004-03-15 2:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
hehe, pheew...
dont think i would have anyway but thanx

.:aidan:.
2004-04-11 1:47 PM

Phoenix, Az
Protein is protein is protein. It does not matter what the source is as long as you are getting enough complete protein in your diet. The quality of the protein is important, this is based on the protein's digestibility, its limiting amino acid, and how effective the body utlizes the protein. In all of the measurements, different proteins are compared to egg protein (egg protein is known as the reference protein, just as white bread is known as the reference point for glycemic index for all other foods) The only true benfit from protein mixes for shakes is their convenience. It isn't always feasible to have 6oz of chicken post workout, so many people opt for protein shakes. Some people also find it difficult to eat anything after a strenuous workout, so drinking a meal is easier. My opinion is do whatever you find more convenient, and if you don't mind spending the extra money, go out and buy some supplemental protein

Edited by tony1331 2004-04-11 1:48 PM
2004-04-12 3:09 AM
in reply to: #17824

Veteran
budapest, hungary.
thanks for your elborated reply. :-)
since i cant efford my self protein powder at the moment, i just drink a shake of natural proteins (based mainly on soy milk and yogurt) , and i try to eat proteins all over the day.
i think i does the work for me, as i do not feel fatigue , and i'm able to train day after day.
2004-04-13 4:34 PM

New user

Austin, Texas
What about protein bars? Is it better to go with a shake or a bar, or is it better to get the powder and make a shake? Any recommendations?

2004-04-14 8:35 PM

User image

New user

Sacramento, CA
I like protein/energy bars a lot mainly for there convenience; however, too much protein is not the best thing for the endurance athlete. Assuming your body is able to handle a certain amount of calories to achieve a metabolic harmony, if you ingest too much protein, you will probably not intake as much carbs and fats (good fats of course) as you should. Protein is essential for building muscle and maintaining muscle. Endurance athlete's muscles do not become stronger (typically), they become more able to maintain a certain power output for a longer period of time, they do this by building more mitochondria in muscle cells and increasing vascularity within the muscle. This in turn allows the body to function at a certain level for longer periods of time. All in all, it is beneficial to intake proper amounts of protein, but do not let these calories replace those for energy for protein is a horrible source of energy and you will most likely feel fatigued if this happens. As mentioned before, the body does digest proteins differently, so it is probably good to spread the sources out to maximize vitamin and mineral intake (i.e. chicken, fish, beans, yogurt, soy, etc).
Oh, I read from a few sources that the maximum amount of protein the body can ingest in one sitting is approx 30 g, equivalent to a good size of chicken meat. Good luck!

Russ
2004-05-02 10:27 PM

Hammond, La

I would like to recomend a book titled "Optimal Muscle Performance and Recovery" by Dr Edmund Burke. Since reading this book I have started taking a protien shake every night before I go to bed. I also have started drinking protien suppliment during long distance workouts, (during tri's), I used it today and discovered a fantastic difference. I ran 2.5 miles biked 21, then ran 4 miles, and had energy left over. when I felt I was slowing down on the bike after 10 miles I drank more and my speed increased back to pace in just a few min. Dr Burke recomends drinking over eating because your body can process it quicker and you don't tend to get nauseated after.

Especialy protien powders with "BCAA'S"

After my long exercise's I also use Endurox r4 ( over 60 min.s)

NOGILLS

2004-05-20 12:59 PM

Ashland, Ma
I have used plain tofu spun in a blender with water, skim milk, fruit, whatever I am in the mood for to add protein after workouts.

what do you folks think of that ...............instead of the powders.....It tends to be a bit chalky but its still palatable.
2004-05-28 3:33 AM
in reply to: #12405

User image

Extreme Veteran
shaycahal - 2004-03-14 8:36 AM

hi.
never eat raw egg white, at least not above two egg white, and not on a regular bases.
raw egg white contain a substance called avidin which prevents the absorction of biotin in the body (important vitamin).

hi,
I even red somewhere that raw whites are not digestible; and that yolks are extermely important for vegeterians (as the only source of B12, long chain fatty acids and something else; long term lack of these causes neurological disorders and hair loss) - I occasionaly use protein powders, as a vegetarian, as a supplement, and when I was BB after the training + one meal/day, with a good results (muscle growth)
- my 2c
2004-07-28 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Norfolk, VA
I actually eat a bowl of edamame'. You know, the green-pea type stuff? There's LOADS of protein in a serving and they're yummy and fun to eat!!!

2004-07-28 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Norfolk, VA
I actually eat a bowl of edamame'. You know, the green-pea type stuff? There's LOADS of protein in a serving and they're yummy and fun to eat!!!

2004-07-28 3:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Norfolk, VA

2004-07-28 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Norfolk, VA
I actually eat a bowl of edamame' right after I work out. You know, the green-pea type stuff you get in sushi restaurants? There's LOADS of protein in a serving and they're yummy and fun to eat!!!

2004-07-28 3:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Norfolk, VA
I actually eat a bowl of edamame' right after I work out. You know, the green-pea type stuff you get in sushi restaurants? There's LOADS of protein in a serving and they're yummy and fun to eat!!!

2004-07-28 3:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Norfolk, VA

2004-07-28 3:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Norfolk, VA

2004-07-29 1:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
so, if i increase my protein intake, how do carbs fit into the equation? i have not done well with the diet component of my training becuase i don't know enough about what i am supposed to eat and when. any suggestions would be helpful...
2004-07-29 4:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
as long as you avoid junk carbs, I wouldn't bother.
Loads of vegetable salads, steamed dark green vegetables, peace of fruit 15 min before the solid meal and that's it!

But if you want to dig deeper, you can learn something about GI stuff. (glicemic index), insulin and glucagon. There are high and low GI carbs. High are to avoid outside the excercise because they induce insulin spikes ("sugar rollercoaster" - too much high GI carbs => too much sugar in the blod => too much insulin is released => sudden drop of sugar in blod => irresistable urge to eat more junk carbs etc.). That is the secret why are people constantly coming back to refrigerator. (Hoping to find something else inside, like someone wrote.) :-)

I was terrifyed when I first found out how insulin makes blod suger lower - it turns it to fat! ARGH! Insulin locks the fat inside the cell. Insulin also prevents growth hormon production, which is SO important during strength training and during sleep. (Growth hormon is normaly produced during the sleep if one don't prevent it eating junk before/during sleep.) But not take me wrong, insulin itself is not a "bad guy". Insulin spike is.

Good news: glucagon is antagonist (e.g. works in opposite direction) of insulin. Guess what? It is produced in the body when you eat enough (but not too much) protein! (Too much is more than 500 cal in one meal. That's huge pile of meat. Or 30g in powder.)
2004-07-30 3:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Belize
I do most of my training in the mornings before I head out to work and I because I'm always running late for work I never realy have time to make a proper breakfast. I normally have my breakfast about one hour after my workout.

But what about a peanut butter sandwich and two bananas with a littel honey? That's what I had this morning after 44 minutes of running. The honey was the first thing to go down, about a table spoon full washed down with some water followed by a banana and some more water. The peanut butter was probably about 2 - 3 Tbl spoons. I know there is some protein in that but I don't know if it's complete protein. Maybe the combination of bread and peanut butter makes it complete. I don't know. But I'm pretty sure it's not enough.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HOW IMPORTANT ARE PROTEIN POWDERS? Rss Feed  

of 2