General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hopkinton Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-19 10:48 AM

User image

Franklin, MA
Subject: Hopkinton Sprint

Thanks to all who replied in my previous thread... I've decided to go ahead and register for the Hopkinton Sprint (my first tri - my stomach's doing flips just writing this). I do have a wetsuit albeit a shorty, but considering there's someone out there who's going to do it "naked" I figure I'll be ok. I haven't done any OWS for a while but I don't think there'll be a problem (famous last words).

ok - so here's my next question... should I register as a Newbie, a Clydesdale or "Age Goup" - I assume that last one is for the regular folks. I know I'm not elite or Athena so I can rule those two out. I'm only just a Clydesdale (208- after my run yesterday) and there's a chance a might be closer to 200 on the day (still two months of training to go). I wonder if I could get down to 200 pounds 8 ounces pre race, that way I could start as a Clydesdale and finish as just a regular Joe...!! now that would be something....

I know some of you had mentioned getting together nearer the time to do some swimming in the reservoir, I'd love to be a part of that... anyone have any dates in mind...?

Thanks for all your input.

Jon.

2009-03-19 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2027771

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: Hopkinton Sprint

Hi Jon,

Welcome.  This was my first tri last year and I registered as a Newbie.  There are 4 waves and this is the last wave.  The bonus is that there won't be any waves behind you swimming over you.  Plus, all the folks in your wave are in the same boat, which is nice. 

As far as the practice swims, ask MAV when she is jumping in. I wouldn't be surprised if isn't within a couple of weeks.  She is our resident fish.

2009-03-19 11:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlestown

Yay! congratulations!  Ignore those knots in your stomach - you'll be fine   As this is my first season too, I'm not sure I'm the best person to answer this but here's my two cents...take it FWIW

In terms of what wave to register for, I would say it depends on your goals.  If you're just looking to finish and don't see yourself being in contention for anything, then I would guess it doesn't much matter what wave you are.  If you think you have a shot and are going out to race the other people in your category, then pick the category that you think you'll be most competitive.  From an outsiders perspective, and assuming all things equal, I would say that it would be more difficult for a big guy (clydesdale) to compete with guys that are much lighter - so age group might not be the way to go.  If I were you I'd choose between Clydesdale and Newbie.  For this decision, I think it's more about your comfort level than anything else.

Good luck!  Hopefully we'll see you out at some rides/swims

2009-03-19 11:57 AM

Uxbridge

I live about 12 miles from Hopkinton. Last time I was over there there was still some ice so I am thinking its still quite chilly.

I think the first weekend in April is looking like a season opener OWS practice. I will check out the temps and let you know. If its still too cold maybe we can all go for a bike run brick. Its a nice loop. I should have my new bike by then

This is a fun race. Not alot of people in the water. I would say register as a newbie for the reasons Josh stated. You are only a newbie once

Cant wait to get started OWS!!!!!!

2009-03-19 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA

Hey Jon.  Congrats on your first registration!  Here are my 5 cents:

1. Register as an age grouper because;
  2. If you train like you know you can you will;
  3. be well under 200lbs come race day and;
  4. you would have done a bunch of open water swims so you won't have to worry about that and;
  5. next year when you are a seasoned triathlete you can compare your ranking and be even more proud of yourself.

Good luck!

2009-03-20 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2028181

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
rcberto - 2009-03-19 2:14 PM

4. you would have done a bunch of open water swims so you won't have to worry about that and;
  5. next year when you are a seasoned triathlete you can compare your ranking and be even more proud of yourself.

Good luck!

Are you not listed in the Age Grouper ranking if you reg as Newbie?  I thought that you still were, but just placed in separate heats and added to both rankings.  No?

2009-03-20 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2029886

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
running4beer - 2009-03-20 10:54 AM

Good luck!

Are you not listed in the Age Grouper ranking if you reg as Newbie?  I thought that you still were, but just placed in separate heats and added to both rankings.  No?

I justed checked my results from last year and they do rank you in both AG and Newbie categories.  The overall results have you in the AG, and they have a separate Newbie list that pulls out on the Newbies and ranks them again.

2009-03-20 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2029886

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
running4beer - 2009-03-20 10:54 AM

Good luck!

They may, my only point was to offer Jon the advice to not underestimate himself.  Kick some butt Jonny boy!

2009-03-20 10:12 AM

User image

Beantown

Here is the results page from last year:

http://www.coolrunning.com/results/08/ma/May11_Season_set1.shtml

they keep newbies and age-groupers together BUT i recommend simply age-group, if you reg as a newbie you will be in one of the last heats to hit the water - and then surrounded by people that don't know how to swim. I initially registered as a newbie for my first Tri last year and am SOOOO glad i changed to age-group, i entered the water about a half-hour sooner!!

2009-04-09 5:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am in a very similar situation here, in that I could register as a clyde or a newbie. My question is, do the AGers and the Clydes start at the same time? I know the newbies go last, which I am not a fan of and will probably pass because I don't think I'll want to wait any longer to start.

2009-04-10 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
icekreaman - 2009-03-19 11:48 AM Thanks to all who replied in my previous thread... I've decided to go ahead and register for the Hopkinton Sprint (my first tri - my stomach's doing flips just writing this). I do have a wetsuit albeit a shorty, but considering there's someone out there who's going to do it "naked" I figure I'll be ok. I haven't done any OWS for a while but I don't think there'll be a problem (famous last words). ok - so here's my next question... should I register as a Newbie, a Clydesdale or "Age Goup" - I assume that last one is for the regular folks. I know I'm not elite or Athena so I can rule those two out. I'm only just a Clydesdale (208- after my run yesterday) and there's a chance a might be closer to 200 on the day (still two months of training to go). I wonder if I could get down to 200 pounds 8 ounces pre race, that way I could start as a Clydesdale and finish as just a regular Joe...!! now that would be something.... I know some of you had mentioned getting together nearer the time to do some swimming in the reservoir, I'd love to be a part of that... anyone have any dates in mind...? Thanks for all your input. Jon.

Have you done any practice swims in the shorty?  I thought I could use one to, until I tried it.  There are not made for swimming and the range of motion in the shoulders is limited.  Paddling out on a board is much different than swimming freestyle.  You may want to consider renting a wetsuit.

As far as what to register for, think about how you want to start.  Do you want to start in the front of the pack or the back?  If you're a strong swimmer and arent afraid of being swum over, kicked, then go AG you'll probably start sooner.  If you're a little nervous about your first OWS race - then do newbie or Clyde.  You start in the back (like others have said) and you have a better chance of keeping your pace and not having to worry about someone crawling over you.  Doesnt matter where you start or what category your in b/c your time to complete the race will be the same no matter what time you start.  Groups just let you compare yourself to others in a similar situation to you. 

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2009-04-10 8:29 AM

2009-04-20 9:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
hey guys-
also trying to figure out what division to register in for the Hopkinton sprint....  I finished one sprint tri last year- but winter has left me kind of out of shape!  I am 153 pounds so I technically could qualify for all the categories as well- Do you think it's OK for me to race as a newbie?  I get really nervous when i feel like tons of people are gonna be backed up behind me- i'm not a fast biker and that course has so many hills!

i'm really just hoping to finish the race!

thoughts?
2009-04-20 9:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
... um, also, what should i wear for the bike/run if it will be about 57 degrees?  (thats the "average historical temp" for that day.
?
2009-04-21 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2098747

User image

Veteran
Littleton, Colorado
gonnafinish plscheer - 2009-04-20 10:20 PM hey guys-
also trying to figure out what division to register in for the Hopkinton sprint....  I finished one sprint tri last year- but winter has left me kind of out of shape!  I am 153 pounds so I technically could qualify for all the categories as well- Do you think it's OK for me to race as a newbie?  I get really nervous when i feel like tons of people are gonna be backed up behind me- i'm not a fast biker and that course has so many hills!

i'm really just hoping to finish the race!

thoughts?

Max Performance just started their own youtube channel.  One of the first videos they put up was of the bike course.  Yikes!!
I just signed up for this race last weekend.  I am in the newbie division, but this will be my first, so I think I qualify  
2009-04-22 10:54 AM

User image

MA
I will have just moved back to MA and will be volunteering at the race. Stop by and say hi if you see me i'd love to meet you all!

Congrats on signing up for your first race Jon and good luck!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hopkinton Sprint Rss Feed