General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rest intervals in swim training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-20 4:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux
Subject: Rest intervals in swim training
In the BT tri training programs, do the times given for the swim workouts include the rest intervals? I've been punching my stopwatch and restarting it after the rest interval and recording my actual time spent swimming in my log. What more accurately relates to race times? The actual  time per 100 yards or the total time including RI?

2009-03-20 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2031000

User image

Master
PA
Subject: RE: Rest intervals in swim training

i just record the total time i was in the pool, including all my rest.  Sometimes i'll record what times i'm swimming for a certain set.  For instance i'll note the time in my logs that i was swimming the 100s or 200s or 500s, but my total time is straight through.  I also use the clock on the wall and not my watch.  Just easier for me.  

It's your log...so really you can do whatever your preference is.  

2009-03-21 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2031052

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux
gopennstate - 2009-03-20 5:28 PM

i just record the total time i was in the pool, including all my rest.  Sometimes i'll record what times i'm swimming for a certain set.  For instance i'll note the time in my logs that i was swimming the 100s or 200s or 500s, but my total time is straight through.  I also use the clock on the wall and not my watch.  Just easier for me.  

So when you calculate your time per 100 yard in your log, you just use your total time? How does that relate to your race times?

2009-03-21 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2031701

User image

Master
PA
mammatri's - 2009-03-21 11:57 AM

So when you calculate your time per 100 yard in your log, you just use your total time? How does that relate to your race times?

Yep, so when I hit the button to calc my pace, I am using my total time and it does include the rest.  So, if it says my average pace is 1:40/100, it means I was definitely swimming faster than that b/c that includes all my rest.

I know my swim paces really well though.  Really really really well.  For instance, once I get a feel in warm up how I'm feeling that day, if someone told me to swim a 100 in 1:30 v. 1:27 v. 1:25 v. 1:15, etc., I could pretty much nail each one.  

It's really hard to compare swim race times.  Some courses are a bit short, some are a bit long, etc.  I've had some races where based on my time and race distance my pace was 1:11/100, and others where it's 1:50/100.   You also have to account time for where you may end up swimming a bit off course b/c it's open water, etc.  I tend to swim a slower pace in a race than i do in training, but that is b/c the bike & run are really hard for me, so i intentionally take it super easy in a race.   Plus, I'm not a fast triathlete, I'm just out there for fun, so 5 mins. here or there really is immaterial to me.

I guess bottom line is in a race I am more concerned with where I want my effort to be.  And sometimes the times my actual race swim times are quicker and sometimes they are slower, but IMO the differences in times are more to do variances in race courses.  Hope that makes sense.

2009-03-21 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2031719

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux
gopennstate - 2009-03-21 11:12 AM
mammatri's - 2009-03-21 11:57 AM

Yep, so when I hit the button to calc my pace, I am using my total time and it does include the rest.  So, if it says my average pace is 1:40/100, it means I was definitely swimming faster than that b/c that includes all my rest.

I know my swim paces really well though.  Really really really well.  For instance, once I get a feel in warm up how I'm feeling that day, if someone told me to swim a 100 in 1:30 v. 1:27 v. 1:25 v. 1:15, etc., I could pretty much nail each one.  

It's really hard to compare swim race times.  Some courses are a bit short, some are a bit long, etc.  I've had some races where based on my time and race distance my pace was 1:11/100, and others where it's 1:50/100.   You also have to account time for where you may end up swimming a bit off course b/c it's open water, etc.  I tend to swim a slower pace in a race than i do in training, but that is b/c the bike & run are really hard for me, so i intentionally take it super easy in a race.   Plus, I'm not a fast triathlete, I'm just out there for fun, so 5 mins. here or there really is immaterial to me.

I guess bottom line is in a race I am more concerned with where I want my effort to be.  And sometimes the times my actual race swim times are quicker and sometimes they are slower, but IMO the differences in times are more to do variances in race courses.  Hope that makes sense.

Yes. Very much. Good to hear you tri for fun. So many seem to be really wrapped up iin their times & where they place. It can be intimidating for a beginner like me. I feel so positive about training and being involved in tri, but I'm in it for fitness and fun. Starting at nearly 50, I can't really expect to excel. I'm just gonna get out there & do the best I can. Thanks again.

2009-03-21 5:38 PM
in reply to: #2031756

User image

Master
PA
mammatri's - 2009-03-21 12:55 PM

Yes. Very much. Good to hear you tri for fun. So many seem to be really wrapped up iin their times & where they place. It can be intimidating for a beginner like me. I feel so positive about training and being involved in tri, but I'm in it for fitness and fun. Starting at nearly 50, I can't really expect to excel. I'm just gonna get out there & do the best I can. Thanks again.

Don't be intimidated!  You will meet some of the nicest people in this sport.  Lots of people are absolutely into this for how fast they can go, for placing in their AG, for qualifying for Kona, etc, which is great!  They have a ton of knowledge and most of them work their tails off to be where they are.  It's pretty amazing actually.  Good luck!

Edited by gopennstate 2009-03-21 5:39 PM

2009-03-21 7:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
I record total time also.  Its just easier to keep track of.  But I also break down each set in my log so i can see actuall swim times for certain distances.  That way I can go back 6 months or a year and compare what I was holding 100's or 200's on as compared to now.
2009-03-21 9:44 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I count "normal" rest intervals in the total.  If I get sidetracked and spend 5-10 minutes talking rather than swimming, I'll take that time out of the total, but that is very rare. 

For recording purposes, I'll often include averages or ranges for a set, so if I'm swimming 12 100's, I'll usually note that as 12x100 (1:35 w/ 0:15 rest)

2009-03-22 5:41 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

I swim my set and add on the stated rest interval to the time, then hit the lap button when it's time to hit the next set listed.  I only have a 30 lap watch so this seems to work and if I care about figuring out times for individual sets I just detuct the rest time when looking back at times.

I only hit the stop button if I need to have a quick chat with the wife (to give pointers as she's a newer swimmer), exit the pool for the rest room (only during long swims) or at the end of the workout.  I'd just end up screwing up the buttons if I changed my ways now.

I figure the base time for workouts that gets calculated on my log gives me something to look back at and easy enough to compare between similar workouts and that it doesn't really equate pool time to race time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rest intervals in swim training Rss Feed