General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am overtraining? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-28 9:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Gif-sur-Yvette
Subject: I am overtraining?

In January I had to slow down, but never really stopped, to allow a full recovery after a small Achilles tendonitis, the same I suffered a full rupture at age 13 in an accident. I picked back on regular training mid February and noticed a couple of weeks ago that my RHR went from 48 to 54. Today I actually measured 50, but this was an exception.

I also noticed it's taking me a little longer to recover from an effort. On a fartlek session today I could hardly drop back to 150~152 after the short sprints (30 sec each) in three minutes easy jog. After the last set, it took me 5 minutes to settle back again.

In any case I generally recover from 154 to 112~115 in 3 minutes if I walk normally or 124 if I walk briskly.

I am 44 and my running MHR is 194, confirmed twice on the field with different HRM. I generally run between 148~154, except on tempo runs where I stick to 174~180. I train everyday, alternating bike and run, swim on run days and lifting on bike days. One day rest per week or when I travel (may be two days per week). I do at least one speed session every week (either a 5K pace for 3 km in general at the end of the typical 10km run session, or fartlek with sets of either full out 30 sec sprints or 1 minute runs at 95% MHR). I have been pushing the speed thing a little the past two weeks in preparation for the Middle East Triathlon April 15. Am I overdoing it?

2005-03-29 8:29 AM
in reply to: #135034

User image

Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: I am overtraining?
wow! you make me feel like a couch potato if your recovery is taking noticeably longer you are probably pushing it too hard. do you have any recovery weeks in your plan? it is recommended that you slowly increase mileage over 3 weeks, back off for a week, then pick it up again. this is where you really gain fitness. your body has to rest and get used to the increasing strain on it. kudos to you for watching your heart rate so closely! remember that after 20 minutes your hr will slowly increase even though your perceived exertion is the same. since your race is so close start thinking about a good taper and you will be nice and fast for your race have a great time!
2005-03-29 11:30 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Elevated HR can indicate that an oncoming sickness. Prolonged exertion can take a toll on your immune system. Best way to treat it? Rest.

You can push yourself into 'overuse' condition by not allowing for sufficient rest/recovery. You will be going 'faster' and a lower HR, but this due not to increased fitness, but due to overly tired muscles unable to produce the cardiovascular load needed to bump your HR up. This is where you'll run yourself into an injury. The solution, adequate rest and recovery.

I don't know what your HR zones are, but it sounds to me like you might be running too hard too much of the time. You will still continue to see improvements at your race speed, by running in z1/z2 ( seems counterintuitive, I know ) on most of your training runs.

Running at lower zones will spare your legs from overuse and allow them to recover from previous training. You'll also be less susceptible to injury. As your speed increases in z1/z2, it will also increase in z3/z4 ( race pace ).

You mention one rest day per week, are you also factoring in 3:1 work/recover week cycle ( 3 weeks "on", 1 week of reduced volume )?

-Chris
2005-03-29 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Gif-sur-Yvette

Looks like I have been messing up a little, with the weeks. I have been gradually increasing the workload, but no easy week as such except when due to travel I can't run the normal routine. That generally means no bike, or pool, or both, but the runs keep going up in intensity.

You guys maybe right. Maybe I am just pushing too hard and not yet overtraining. For the first time in a long time I have sore leg muscles today. Did not run at all today, but tomorrow I am planning to go jogging very lightly to see if it helps clear the lactic acid that accumulated.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I should take it easy the next two weeks, with shorter sessions, and no hard efforts such as speed. Will let you know how I do in that race.

2005-03-29 7:53 PM
in reply to: #135469

User image

Boulder, Colorado
My opinion: you are over reached - not over trained. IF you were over trained you wouldn't be able to get your HR up - you can get your HR up, so...I think you are doing a bit too much of the fast stuff. First off take 3-4 days OFF - meaning don't train, don't extra work around the house - just relax for a few days. Keep an eye on your RHR too.

After that, keep up with the short pick ups - those are beneficial- the track sessions/fartlek I would save that until you were 5-6 weeks out from your A race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am overtraining? Rss Feed