United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 58m 21s
Overall Rank = 39/226
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/16
Pre-race routine:

Afternoon race which was odd but nice. Actually went to a 5k in the morning to watch my friend race.
Event warmup:

Jogged for 5 mintues or so. No chance for a swim warm up as they kicked everyone out of the pool kind of early.
Swim
  • 09m 11s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not sure what the actual time was since I think that time includes some/all of the run to transition. Anyhow...

It was a pool swim, and as always people seeded themselves wrong. Some worse than others. The guy I started with fell behind right away. I probably ended up passing a dozen people. Passing wasn't too bad unless we were swimming three wide. A couple times I felt like I really had to push so that I'd finish the pass before I got to the wall.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Transitions were just awful today. Especially T1. I probably left an entire minute in transitions. Really the only negative part of my race. T1 was bad for two reasons. First I forgot to un-velcro my bike shoes. MORON!! And then my bike seat got wedged under the rack. Annoying, but whatever.
Bike
  • 28m 22s
  • 10 miles
  • 21.15 mile/hr
Comments:

One of my better rides. Felt strong most of the way while still knowing I had enough in the tank for the run. I guess it was too much for me to expect that people understand what "on your left" means... On a couple instances it went like this, "On your left...ON YOUR LEFT, ON YOUR F!@#ING LEFT!". I felt kinda bad, but seriously people. Have you ever ridden a bike before? Especially dangerous coming downhill at 38mph.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Maybe pass on the right??
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Not as bad as T1 but still too slow. I decided to put on socks which is where I lost time. I have to or my feet get super chewed up to the point where training during the next week sucks. Even my "sockless" Zoot shoes make me bleed within two miles. So I sacrificed the time...

Sigh... Nothing.
Run
  • 18m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty good run for me too. Don't be too impressed by the run time, it was a bit short. But I still did well. Didn't get passed once and was flying by people the whole time. My calves were super tight for the first half mile or so and I was worried. But they came around and then I took off. Couldn't believe I finished under an hour!

Maybe take advantage of at least one aid station. Didn't really feel like I needed it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. Ate some food and had a coke. Fine, two cokes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to bike more/harder/longer. I think the swim can become faster too if I do some speedwork.

Event comments:

Good, fun race overall. Fun to zip through the city without having to worry about cars and stoplights. This was the first time the event was held, hoping the keep it around.

Last updated: 2009-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:11 | 547 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 54/226
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:28:22 | 10 miles | 21.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 40/226
Wind: Little
Course: 3 lap course in downtown columbia. The second and third lap were pretty nuts as it was filled with slower riders.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:18:24 | 03.11 miles | 05m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 17/226
Course: Out and back of sorts. Including a staircase.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-03-24 8:41 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Downtown Columbia Triathlon

2009-03-24 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2036350

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: Downtown Columbia Triathlon
Seems like things went a little better for you this week compared to last...nice job!
2009-03-25 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Nice race report! I hate pool tri's...sounds like you played the passing part right there. Columbia is very hilly isn't it? Great bike split. Sorry to hear your Zoots are not sockless as advertised. I have used dabs of vaseline inside my running shoes in the trouble spots. That helps with the sockless thing, but is kinda messy later on. Awesome job all around!

Whenever I do bricks, I practice both T1 and T2. Just set your bike stuff up too in a mock transition area, then run to that spot to begin your bike ride. Helps a lot to figure out where you are losing time, and practice makes you faster!
2009-03-25 12:20 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Congrats on getting redemption after Parris Island!  I can't believe how hilly the bike course was. I was spectating near the transition area and cannot tell you how many near accidents I witnessed with bikers coming out of T1, trying to get into T2, and others starting their 2nd laps- it was so chaotic!  Hopefully they'll change the bike course next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Downtown Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed