Tri It Now
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 26m 20s
Overall Rank = 3/318
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/20
Pre-race routine:

Got up, took the dog out, loaded the bike on the car and equipment into it and got on the road for the hour drive. Got to the race site with an hour to go until the start, racked the bike and set up my transition.
Event warmup:

Gu Roctane gel at :45 minutes to go and :15 minutes to go with some Gu2O to wash them down. Ran out and around the bike course for about 2 miles to warm up. Pre-race meeting and off went the first wave. I was in the second one.
Swim
  • 05m 34s
  • 250 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got into the pool as we were supposed to and got some water ino the goggles as they were foggy. Mediocre swim as I had no oomph. Caught a few people, got passed by one (who started in the wave 5 minutes ahead of me so not a "position" pass). My touch/turns under the lane lines were slow and I just wasn't into it mentally in the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more in the last two months?? Not be complacent? I basically lost the race in the swim ......
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Reversed, so it was from bike to the pool. Thought it went well, but you had to run into the pool center and then walk to the water, sit and get in. They included T2 time into the swim so together they were 6:34.

It went well, not much to complain about and don't think I could have gone much faster.
Bike
  • 11m 25s
  • 4 miles
  • 21.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Okay, I did find out I set the fastest bike split. But to me this ride was crap. I should have been a hell of a lot faster than this. But with so many turns, starting in the 2nd wave, catching the majority of the 1st wave in one of the umpteen billion corners and the fact that it was wet and drizzly made for a pretty sketchy ride.

Came out of transition solid, got into the pedals okay and tried to get to business. Since I ran a portion of the bike course as my warm up I had an idea of what was coming, but the constant "accelrate/break/corner/accelerate" really was more of criterium racing style. Should have probably brought my road bike - which I actually contemplated the day before - since that would have suited braking and accelerating better.

Never got into a rhythm. On the few stretches where I could air it out I was flying. No one even close to my speeds. But I was pussy-footing around the corners which cost me time. I didn't want to be a jerk though and scare the newer racers, so I was respectful of everyone on the course. As a result, I lost time by my own choice.

Bring my road bike. Not be such a wuss in the corners with the other riders. Should have been a lot faster than this (even though I did have the fastest bike split out of the entire field by over 30 seconds).
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

Reverse, so this was run to bike. Right into transition, helmet on, running shoes off, bike shoes on, out of transition. The run split included T1 time, so :37-ish for the transition and 7:45 for the run.

Nothing, pretty text book and don't think it could have gone faster.
Run
  • 07m 45s
  • 1.4 miles
  • 05m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

They did three waves with the first being 18-34 men and women then 35 - 44 men and women and then everyone else. So I was in the second wave starting 5 minutes behind the other one. And since this was a reverse tri, the run was first.

Started in the front of the corral with every intent of destroying the field in my wave on the run. Joked around with a few people while we waited. I didn't like the idea of racing the clock and unknowns from the wave ahead, but what was I going to do .....

At the whistle we're off and I immediately go out hard and am in the front. By the 1/4 mile mark I already had a few seconds on the next guy and by the 1/2 I started catching stragglers from the 1st wave. Just pushed a good pace and glanced back at some of the corners. Closest guy was about :15 behind or more. Snaked through people and the course. Funniest part of the day was at about 1-1/4 miles a lady said "Did we just get lapped???" I said "Yup" and gave the thumbs up and kept going.

Into the final portion of the run just pushed and tried to mentally get ready to transition and to the bike.

Get them to start all the fast people together. I had no frame of reference and so nobody to pace off of once I was in front of my wave. But good solid effort and right where I was expecting to be for my split.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat around the pool in the bleachers and watched the other participants.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No swim training (well, hardly any) in the last two months. Nobody to gage my effort and pace off of on the run or bike. Complacency.

Event comments:

The race was well run, fairly organized and started basically on time. It is a very short event designed around the true beginner and was very racer and spectator friendly. So big props for that! I just didn't have the race that I wanted and feel that I threw away the win with a mediocre bike and swim. The race was mine for the taking and I didn't put up. With that said, I really did lose it in the swim. And not to be a stickler but the top runner ran a 6:58 for the run .... which includes their transition???? Ummmm yeah, something is a little odd with that. But it could easily be the timing of where they took the splits. Their overall times for 1st and 2nd seem feasible, just not so much the run split. I know for sure I came into the transition right around 7:45 and there was no one even close from my wave. Ah well, well run race just not what I was hoping for. I would definitely recommend the race organization and the event for newer athletes.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:34 | 250 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 39/318
Performance: Below average
None
Suit: Team Zoot Gu tri suit
Course: Snake swim through 10 lanes. Up one lane, touch wall, go under lane line, touch wall and down the next lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:11:25 | 04 miles | 21.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/20
Overall: 1/318
Performance: Below average
None
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Ever seen pictures of the Amazon with all the twists and turns and sub-rivers? Yeah, that was the bike course. 5 U-turns and even more 90 degree turns.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 95
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:07:45 | 01.4 miles | 05m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/20
Overall: 6/318
Performance: Good
None
Course: See the bike course description as this was similar in that there were a billion twists and turns just on a different route.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-03-30 9:54 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: Tune Up Tri

2009-03-30 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2048447

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Tune Up Tri

Good race still.  Nice meeting you yesterday. 

2009-03-30 10:24 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
That's a long swim, actually, when you think about it, compared with the run and bike...like an Oly in percentages. So you were definitely at a disadvantage. (Although, 1st bike, 6th run...39th swim...39th?! Dude, time to live in the pool!)

Seriously, though, the numbers you can put up on both the bike and run are always just scary impressive. Helluva job! Congrats on the O/A podium!

2009-03-30 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2048525

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Forgot to mention it ........ the reason I've been out of the pool is because of a shoulder injury, not because I didn't want to train for swimming! Money mouth
2009-03-30 11:24 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Very Very impressive, that is a great run!!! Us mere mortals are really impressed with your effort!!  lol

2009-03-30 1:45 PM

Pro
yep,

Funniest part of the day was at about 1-1/4 miles a lady said "Did we just get lapped???" I said "Yup" and gave the thumbs up and kept going.

And you would say that to the lady.  HA!

2009-03-30 2:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA

you rock! Congrats!

2009-03-30 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Great job Rick and congrats on 1st in your AG and 3rd OA!!  Nice picture too!  The snake swim and ducking under the lane lines doesn't sound like much fun.   Speedy bike split in the drizzly conditions and way to lap the stragglers... hah
2009-03-30 5:43 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee, FL
Hey, nice race overall.  Think your swim would have been better if it had been first instead of last?  Still not bad for a tune-up tri.
2009-03-31 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Nice job out there - not the overall win you wanted but you cannot control who shows up and it looks like some very fast people showed.

You crushed everyone on the bike and had a great pace on that run too. The swimming will be fine once that shoulder heals up.

Congrats on a great early season race!
2009-04-05 10:26 AM

Good Job! That was a great race!  i saw you before the race and thought "I am gonna get owned".  I agree with your pessimisim with those top run times.  How accurate do think the course length was?  Because I was running sub 6 miles, which is substantially faster than in my training.

2009-04-05 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2063626

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

My run time was right in line with what I expected.  But who knows if the other guys cut a turn or two, especially in the first group as they may not have had all the volunteers out there.

I didn't turn on my cyclometer, so no clue on the bike.  And with all the turns my average is nowhere near what it would have been on a straighter course.  I know that on the long stretch of the main road I was hitting close to 30.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tune Up Tri Rss Feed