General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rumpass in Bumpass Sprint : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-02 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Rumpass in Bumpass Sprint : Official Thread
[disregard, I found the official thread] http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=147273&posts=26&start=1

Edited by windandsurf 2009-04-02 10:02 AM

2009-04-02 10:03 AM
in reply to: #2057099

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Subject: RE: Rumpass in Bumpass Sprint : Official Thread
http://www.sturgeoncreekmarina.com/fishingreport.htm

We are already at 54 degrees! No problemo. It was 53 on Saturday and 56 on Sunday during the Kinetic races 2 years ago.

(that was the international "official" thread)
2009-04-02 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2057120

shelly123 - 2009-04-02 11:03 AM http://www.sturgeoncreekmarina.com/fishingreport.htmWe are already at 54 degrees! No problemo. It was 53 on Saturday and 56 on Sunday during the Kinetic races 2 years ago. (that was the international "official" thread)

And that was as of March 12th, too! I would like it to get up to 65, but that might be wishing for too much.

2009-04-02 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Wow, you guys are fast!  Thanks for the update.  Hope the have the Brunswick stew again
2009-04-16 7:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Water temp's being reported as 60 degrees on Setup's page and that link above has 54-58. Hopefully, with 2-3 days of sunny weather, we'll get a little bit warmer. Still wetsuit conditions but every little bit helps. BTW, one thing to consider is either ear plugs or a cap over your ears as the cold water in your ears can cause a bit of vertigo when you get to transition. Didn't do that last year and paid for it a bit until my head cleared.

Weekend weather is looking good at present for both events on Sat and Sun. Temps to start will be in the upper 50s and rising into the 60s during each event. Maybe a bit more clouds for Sunday morning, but as long as it doesn't pour like at last year's Kinetic I'll be okay with that. And 60s make for some great running weather too.

Good luck to all in both events!
2009-04-16 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2088248

sbrdave - 2009-04-16 8:46 AM Water temp's being reported as 60 degrees on Setup's page and that link above has 54-58. Hopefully, with 2-3 days of sunny weather, we'll get a little bit warmer. Still wetsuit conditions but every little bit helps. BTW, one thing to consider is either ear plugs or a cap over your ears as the cold water in your ears can cause a bit of vertigo when you get to transition. Didn't do that last year and paid for it a bit until my head cleared. Weekend weather is looking good at present for both events on Sat and Sun. Temps to start will be in the upper 50s and rising into the 60s during each event. Maybe a bit more clouds for Sunday morning, but as long as it doesn't pour like at last year's Kinetic I'll be okay with that. And 60s make for some great running weather too. Good luck to all in both events!

Yup, rain looks like it won't approach until evening. The morning is gonna be cool so coming out of that water onto the bike might suck a little until you dry off. I may bring arm warmers just so I don't freeze - will be a "running out of the lake into T1" decision most likely.

2009-04-19 6:53 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Good luck RUmpass Sprinter's!

2009-04-19 7:06 AM

User image

Go get 'em!

Water was great at 60 with just a wetsuit. Consider ear plugs to avoid the cold water in the inner ear dizziness
2009-04-19 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
King George, VA

good luck!  I hope it is cooler today for you guys on the run.

2009-04-19 3:24 PM

User image

How'd it go? Huh? Huh?
2009-04-19 4:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Burke, VA
Maybe it wasjust adreneline, but I didn't even notice the water temp. The guy in front of me without a wetsuit I am sure did though. It did warm up quite a bit by run time, for me, not for the tons of people who passed me probably. Overall, a good event run in my opinion. Thinking about the Giant Acorn International in the fall.

2009-04-19 4:51 PM

User image

Arlington
My first tri done.  It was awesome!  Everyone was great and I surprised myself.
2009-04-20 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2095645

User image

Veteran
Virginia

Hey I think we were racked across from each other.  Congrats again on your first Tri!  I know I was hooked after mine 3 years ago.  Maybe see you at the Nation's Tri this fall.

Have a great season!

Brad

2009-04-20 8:53 AM

My race went to crap around mile 8 of the bike course. Blech. And the cold water made me dizzy and shakey, when I got to T1 (getting out and running to T1 was fine), even though I felt fine in the water. Not happy with my performance. Though I suppose it can only get better from here.

I really wish they hadn't changed the run course - that course sucked. Who decided it'd be a good idea to run through those woods (with roots and clods of dirt) and two ditches to traverse?! Hopefully, they'll change it back to the flat course for those of you doing Giant Acorn. I was really looking forward to a fast, flat run.

2009-04-20 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Burke, VA
I agree about the run through the woods. That part sucked. My left hamstring rocked up after going down the dip coming into towards the finish. I decided to push through it hoping it wasn't a pull. I think it was just poor hydration and stepping over roots and hoping over the dips.
2009-04-22 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Yeah, I'll have to agree with that too, though I gotta say that I prefer that to the mountain I had to climb twice on the Brierman Sprint run course last year. I also trail run during training, so this didn't shake me up too much. Still, I'm kinda surprised about the trail run/ditches for injury reasons. Twisted ankle can take you out for weeks. I highly recommend letting Greg Hawkins (race director) know your feelings.

Personally, I thought the rest of the course was decent and the pleasant weather made this an enjoyable event. I'm slow on the swim but it was a relatively clear water and a okay course, though something should be done getting out at the end. The nice volunteers helped pull me out of the water but I think I remember still tripping up on the shore board momentarily. The light rolling hills on the bike weren't any real trouble and road condition was pretty good. And other than the roots/ditches, the mostly lightly rolling run course was okay too.

For me, it was good training for future events with a decent finish and I was glad the weather cooperated too.

2009-04-22 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2102272

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
sbrdave - 2009-04-22 10:13 AM Yeah, I'll have to agree with that too, though I gotta say that I prefer that to the mountain I had to climb twice on the Brierman Sprint run course last year. I also trail run during training, so this didn't shake me up too much. Still, I'm kinda surprised about the trail run/ditches for injury reasons. Twisted ankle can take you out for weeks. I highly recommend letting Greg Hawkins (race director) know your feelings. Personally, I thought the rest of the course was decent and the pleasant weather made this an enjoyable event. I'm slow on the swim but it was a relatively clear water and a okay course, though something should be done getting out at the end. The nice volunteers helped pull me out of the water but I think I remember still tripping up on the shore board momentarily. The light rolling hills on the bike weren't any real trouble and road condition was pretty good. And other than the roots/ditches, the mostly lightly rolling run course was okay too. For me, it was good training for future events with a decent finish and I was glad the weather cooperated too.

Regarding the new trail run, maybe Greg was trying to avoid the traffic jam encountered during the Giant Acorn last fall, when bikes and runners had to share the road (with one spectator lumbering along the road pushing a baby stroller!!!)

I agree that step at the end of the swim is not fun, god bless the volunteers who helped us out of the water.  Seems they should reverse the swim course.
2009-04-22 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2102833

windandsurf - 2009-04-22 1:16 PM
sbrdave - 2009-04-22 10:13 AM Yeah, I'll have to agree with that too, though I gotta say that I prefer that to the mountain I had to climb twice on the Brierman Sprint run course last year. I also trail run during training, so this didn't shake me up too much. Still, I'm kinda surprised about the trail run/ditches for injury reasons. Twisted ankle can take you out for weeks. I highly recommend letting Greg Hawkins (race director) know your feelings. Personally, I thought the rest of the course was decent and the pleasant weather made this an enjoyable event. I'm slow on the swim but it was a relatively clear water and a okay course, though something should be done getting out at the end. The nice volunteers helped pull me out of the water but I think I remember still tripping up on the shore board momentarily. The light rolling hills on the bike weren't any real trouble and road condition was pretty good. And other than the roots/ditches, the mostly lightly rolling run course was okay too. For me, it was good training for future events with a decent finish and I was glad the weather cooperated too.

Regarding the new trail run, maybe Greg was trying to avoid the traffic jam encountered during the Giant Acorn last fall, when bikes and runners had to share the road (with one spectator lumbering along the road pushing a baby stroller!!!)

I agree that step at the end of the swim is not fun, god bless the volunteers who helped us out of the water.  Seems they should reverse the swim course.

I ran Giant Acorn two years ago, and didn't remember too much of a problem. The ditch-hopping sucked.

2009-04-22 8:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Burke, VA
I agree. Nothing run with dodging roots, but ditch jumping is never good. I do see where running down that main road would have been crowded with bikers and runners. I don't know if there is a happy medium. I do like the idea of reversing the swim.
2009-04-22 8:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Burke, VA
Anyone else who did this as their first time down here considering Giant Acorn Inter. as an option? This might be my first Inter. distance race come October. Seemed like a avg. difficulty course.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rumpass in Bumpass Sprint : Official Thread Rss Feed