General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding with Music Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-02 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Subject: Riding with Music
Ok, I know this is a very controversial subject and I'm not writing this to get into a right/wrong debate, but more to share my experience with the newbies.
Over the last 4 years I could not go for a run or a ride without listening to music. It was so bad that I would think about skipping a long ride if I forgot my Ipod. Miles and Miles of riding to different playlists of songs from a library of roughly 1500.
This year I am riding much more than any other year and I needed a break from my same old song list. It was getting painful to listen to the same stuff over and over. I decided to go for a 3 hour ride without my Ipod. It took everything I had, but off I went. I couldn't believe it..... the time actually seemed to go by much faster. I was much more relaxed and had less to worry about. I did it again the next weekend, it was great. Long story short, I've ridden roughly 700 miles without the Ipod and don't think I will ever ride with it again. Maybe while MTB'ing or when I'm just doing hills, but never again on a normal training ride.

If you are totally dependent on your tunes when you ride, try giving it up for the next few rides and see how you like it. I started using it from ride one and didn't know any better.

That said, I still have to have it on a run, but maybe after a few Ipod anonymous meetings, I can shake that too!

2009-04-02 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2058625

Subject: RE: Riding with Music

Riding on the TRAINER without some sort of distraction is painful. The iPod is great on the trainer. I used to flip on the TV, but the iPod holds my attention better.

(And since you mentioned that you didn't want to start a "right or wrong" debate, I will just say that I never ride outside with my iPod... )

2009-04-02 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2058625

User image

Regular
memphis
Subject: RE: Riding with Music
i cant ride the trainer without it but my playlist also gets boring. Drving home today i saw three cyclists riding on the road with headphones and this is Memphis the 2nd worst bicycle city in the nation according to bicycling magazine, absolutely crazy! Glad you gave it up!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding with Music Rss Feed