Pottstown YMCA
47F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 22m
Overall Rank = 23/241
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/16
Pre-race routine:

Slept in and headed over to the Pottstown YMCA at 8:45. Lot of wind so after regestering I went out to the car and listened to the radio for a bit before ditching my sweats and going back inside for the pre race meeting. Then out to the start and a bit of light jogging. Very, very windy. Listened to Ron Horn talk a bit and then we were off.
Event warmup:

Some strecthing during the pre race meeting and some light jogging trying to stay warm.
Run
  • 22m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't feel to great the last couple days and I think I might be coming down with what ever she has had this week. The wind was blowing hard 25-30 mph gusts. Good news it was at our backs at the start, the bad news it was in our face for the longest strech of the race. I started a couple rows back from the front and took it easy of the bat and marvelled on the folk just blasting out of the gate and then fading away by the 1/2 mile mark. I eased into a good pace and started working my way forward slowly. At the first turn, I finally felt like I was moving. I worked my way up a few spot and then we turned into the windward leg. I worked into it pretty well and had someone come up aside me and we passed a few people working together, but then boom a gust catches my hat and i have to stop and go back and get it. That got the guy about 10 yards ahead and i never was able to catch it up. Towards the end, I was finally gainng on some of the folks in front but a guy came up and passed my and pulled away. I'm pretty sure that was the pass that bumped me out of the awards as the 3rd place in my age was 2 spots ahead of me. I worked home but no monster effort or a sprint as I was sort of by myself coming to the finish. Just missed going under 22 min and the hat stop and back track certainly cost me that but I was awfully windy and that certainly had an effect on my time. Not a bad effort, but I believe I was the fastest person to not get an award. But it sure was nice to do a race again, first one since IMAZ in November.
What would you do differently?:

I should have done a focused warm up and been ready to go from the start and thus take advantage of the tail wind and lossing my hat cost 5-10 seconds at least, but since I don't do any speed work I really can't complain too much. Might do a few more 5ks this year, if nothing else to work on foot speed.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit and headed in side the Y for the post race food and door prise drawing. Missed a prize by 2 number up and down. The gym was pretty full by the time I was ready to go and they said they had their largest turnout ever. It was after 11:30 and I had to get home so I missed the awards ceremony but I saw where I was on the boards. Same race 2 years ago i was 20th OA and got 2nd place in my AG.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No speedwork, coming down with something(cough, felt a bit drained beforehand), but given the wind it wasn't too bad.

Event comments:

Good local, low frills race.Pretzel City SPorts did the timeing and the Y was good host.

Last updated: 2009-04-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:00 | 03.1 miles | 07m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/16
Overall: 23/241
Performance: Average
Course: A fairly flat square starting and finishing at the Pottstown YMCA. Open to traffic after the first 1/2 mile or so. Windy day so no water stops or mile markers.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-04 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Pottstown YMCA Spring Forward 5k

2009-04-04 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2062561

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Pottstown YMCA Spring Forward 5k

Bummer about not placing!  But as you said, it has been a bit since you've raced and not much faster work in training.  Still a really solid time.

I'm in Pottstown every couple of weeks for a project that we are doing at The Hill School.  Pottstown is what caught my eye in the race report listings!

2009-04-05 6:39 PM
in reply to: #2062561

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Pottstown YMCA Spring Forward 5k
They finaly posted the results and I'm feeling a bit better about my race. I was in the top 10% overall and top 25% in my age group, not too bad. I also was the 2nd fastest to not get an award, the 41 year old guy who finished 21st got that honor.

Daremo, if you are up in the area on work during the summer they have a 5K "Tuesday in the Park" series on Tuesday nights over the summer. Flat out and back on the Schuylkil River trail, they do 1 race a month on the last Tuesday of the month from May thru August. WWW.runccrs.com
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pottstown YMCA Spring Forward 5k Rss Feed