General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 5s
Overall Rank = 39/972
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/48
Pre-race routine:

Got in to Galveston around 6 on Friday night. Went to packet pick up, grabbed some dinner, and then hung out. Went to bed around 11. Slept like total crap. Got up around 5:30. Had a chocolate chip muffin and some Diet Coke.

The Inn at the Waterpark is a good spot to stay for this race, at least solo. I rode my bike over to transition.
Event warmup:

None, other than the ride over to transition and stretching out.
Swim
  • 10m 26s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

Argh. I just don't get it. Effort level was about right, I was able to draft for over half the course, my form felt good, but I was over 2 minutes per 100. I can turn 1:55/100 meters in the pool without a wetsuit at a very moderate effort and hold that for over 2000 meters without big pushes off the wall, but I struggle to get under 2:00 in a race even with great drafts. 7th in the AG is far better than I would expect for that pace. Maybe the course is just a little long.
What would you do differently?:

Tomorrow I'm not going to go looking for feet. I'm just going to focus on my form.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Lost some time with the wetsuit strippers because my suit got caught on my ankles. Instead of trying to get the heel off, the kid was trying to get the front side free first. I ended up doing it myself. A little slower putting on socks. I really need to get running shoes that don't rip my feet to shreds even on little sprints. That could be a factor at The Rookie.
Bike
  • 34m 23s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 21.81 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't push hard here, but for the level of effort, I really feel like I should have been generating more power. I was 30th overall on the bike and 5th in my AG. The 4 faster AG splits were the 4 guys that finished ahead of me. I didn't notice it, but the guy that won the AG must have passed me about 1/4 of the way through the bike. I should have noticed, because very few people passed me. Having downloaded the data, 203 for NP is pretty decent considering I was holding back.

Probably could have pushed a little harder without hurting tomorrow's effort. More importantly, I would get the new P3 ready for this race!!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Nothing special here. Fumbled away a few seconds, but faster than any of the guys that finished ahead of me in the AG by 16 seconds. That's huge in a short race. The guys in 6th and 7th were 1 and 2 seconds faster than me.

Nothing.
Run
  • 23m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Hips and lower calves/shins were pretty tight. Again, I didn't push very hard, but still felt like I should have been faster for the effort.

Again, very few people passed me. I had one guy in my AG come buy with maybe 1/10 mile to go. I let him go because after my crappy swim and so-so (in my view) bike, I was sure placing was out of reach. Turns out he finished 4th. I missed placing in my AG by just over a minute.

Not much. Run training couldn't have been much better leading into this, it was just focused on the 1/2 distance.

Hell, I started writing this before the official times were posted. How bad could I really have done if I placed 5th in my AG out of 48 and 39th overall out of almost 1000?
Post race
Warm down:

Immediately went to the massage tent so they could do whatever they could for tomorrow.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Taking it easy in light of the 1/2 tomorrow. Now that the official results are up, I could have placed in my AG if I had pushed it today. I also need to bring my bike power up. I'm never going to run sub-7 and I'm lucky when I can swim 1:40/100. I still believe I've got room grow on the bike. Since I finally think that I know what I'm doing when it comes to training with power, We'll see if that happens over the course of the season.

Next year, I'm going balls-out for this race, the 1/2 be damned and we'll see what happens.

Event comments:

Another winner from Keith and his crew. I don't see how you can put on a better sprint than this. Post race food was good with individual pizzas, ice cream, Oreos, fruit, ice cream, water, sodas, and beer.

Last updated: 2009-03-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:26 | 500 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/48
Overall: 119/972
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra ProX2
Course: L-shaped.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:23 | 12.5 miles | 21.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/48
Overall: 0/972
Performance: Good
Average power: 199. NP: 203
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Single loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:52 | 03.1 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/48
Overall: 113/972
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-04 2:10 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint

2009-04-04 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2062643

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint

Nice effort considering you're racing tomorrow (?)!

There is always room in the run.  Never say never.  You can get under 7 splits!

2009-04-04 4:14 PM

User image

Elite
Texas

Nice work Dennis! See you down there tomorrow. I'll be rolling in around the time you're midway through the bike.

2009-04-04 5:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Good job Dennis!  Have fun tomorrow!

2009-04-04 11:10 PM

User image

Expert
Austin

Nice work! especially considering you were holding back for tomorrow.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed