General Discussion Race Reports! » The City of Joondalup Hillarys Triathlon - Pursuit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The City of Joondalup Hillarys Triathlon - Pursuit - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Joondalup, Western Australia
Australia
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 54s
Overall Rank = 370/421
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 37/37
Pre-race routine:

Day before, went flying when I didn't see some spilt water on the floor at the shopping mall. Ended up icing a sore calf for the rest of the day which worried me.
Up at 5:15, cereal, toast and juice then packed the car and set off for Hillarys at 5:50. Met up with a mate from work, David, who was also in the same age group. We decided to go with the wetsuits so struggled getting into that!
Event warmup:

Gentle swim out and back from the shore.
Swim
  • 17m 6s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

There was a long run from exiting the water to hitting the timing mat (all transition times were included in the swim and bike), I reckon about 2 mins all in which makes the swim OKish. Think I might have inadvertantly held back making sure I would finish, or it might just have been that I wasn't used to the suit. It all felt comfortable though, so who knows?
What would you do differently?:

Practice more ocean swimming in a wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Would have hoped for more, especially as I only came out of the water 7 seconds in front of David, when I was expecting a minute plus. Lost all that advantage, and more when the wettie got stuck on my timing chip on my ankle so ended up about 300m behind on the bike which I never got back.

Learn to take wetsuits off correctly.
Bike
  • 51m 59s
  • 21 kms
  • 24.24 km/hr
Comments:

Very pretty course but the hills and wind hurt, especially as I haven't been putting in the kms this last couple of weeks as I've had family visiting. Set off as an easterly but that soon turned a bit to make the last part of each lap a nasty uphill into the wind part which hurt!
After the wetsuit fiasco I was conviced I'd seen David about 1km in front of me after one of the turns which really gave me a kick and demoralised me a bit, but in reality he stayed about 300m in front the whole time. Oh well, experience I guess.

Race my own race and not worry about other people.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Newbie mistake 2. Forget to press the Lap button ont he Garmin at the end of the bike leg.
Newbie mistake 3. Forget to take the Garmin from the bike and put it on my wrist.
Other than that, was a good T2!

Take Garmin!
Run
  • 29m 48s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 58s  min/km
Comments:

It hurt! I'm not a runner, and even though I'd had a good week leading up to this with my run times & distances, this really really hurt. Took the first km to get my legs back, then with not having the garmin couldn't pace myself at all which I was mad at myself for. Coming back was a bit easier but did end up walking about 50m uphill while having a drink at the water station. A girl I'd set out at the same time on the run gave me a 'Don't give in now' boost which really helped, but little did she know that I'd helped her by letting her look at my butt for 4km, it was now my turn to follow her...... as if! I was gone!! But I did get running again, and finished strongly, with nothing left in the tank so that was good. Pleasantly surprised with a sub 30 minute run with the way I was feeling. Just shows that I really need to build strength and speed if I want to do more sprint tri's.

Take the garmin from the bike!
Post race
Warm down:

Water, gatorade and a chat with David, my wife, and my family visitors.
In the end David beat me by by 2:20 but as I beat him in the BRW I can live with it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More training, but I have only been running since October 08, biking since Jan 09 and swimming for the first time in 20 years since Jan 09. It does help I used to swim before I left uni but that was 20+ years ago..... Still, 9kgs lost since Oct is good for me at least!
My only regret is finishing last in my age group - really didn't want that - can cope with the BOP overall finish, but last in age group hurts a bit.

Event comments:

A really good race, and the fact it was only 20 minutes from home really helped.
This was my first sprint tri - the only other one was the BRW corporate one a few weeks back, but that was more of a bit of fun than this. This felt more serious, and I just wish I can get my fitness up a bit to be more competitive next season.

Did have a goal of doing the HIM next year, especially as I'm doing the swim in a team next month, but I'm not sure my fitness & speed will be there. Sometihng to think about over the winter months.

Last updated: 2009-03-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:06 | 750 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 24/37
Overall: 243/421
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot
Course: Recangular course out from the shore
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:59 | 21 kms | 24.24 km/hr
Age Group: 35/37
Overall: 369/421
Wind:
Course: Three loops of 7km up and down the coast.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:48 | 05 kms | 05m 58s  min/km
Age Group: 37/37
Overall: 393/421
Course: Out and back up the coastal bike / running path.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-05 6:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: The City of Joondalup Hillarys Triathlon - Pursuit

2009-04-05 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2063423

Perth
Subject: RE: The City of Joondalup Hillarys Triathlon - Pursuit

Good race, you have to love that run off the bike.

Stick with it, you will be surprised how quickly you can progress.

2009-04-05 10:44 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Well done Nigel! Great race! Don't get down on yourself, you're only just starting out and you FINISHED which is the most important thing It took me a year before I was fit enough to finish this distance and you're already there so you're going really well. Busselton 2010 is definitely something you could do, just keep the training up over winter and build your fitness. Maybe think about joining a tri club?

Hint for the wetsuit - put the timing chip under the suit leg, put baby oil on your ankles, and when you're getting out of your suit just step on it. I did all this in Pt Walter and it came off a dream.

Keep up the good work!!! Great to see someone else from Perth on here

2009-04-06 6:23 AM

User image

Perth, WA
Well done for finishing your first Sprint Triathlon on a tough course!
I also have a Garmin, my suggestion, leave it for training unless its for a Olympic or bigger. Once you have got your winter training behind you, next season will be easier and you can use other people to pace yourself.

I used to make the mistake of wondering how my mates were going but I found that I wasn't concentrating on what I was doing and went slower. If you ever need advice just check out any of our logs or send us a message, most people on here are only too happy to help.
Reading other peoples race reports is a great educational tool too, learn by others mistakes.
2009-04-08 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Thanks guys for all the kind words - I know I should have raced my own race, and afterwards I realised that the actual performance, timewise was what I expected, I just need to cut down on the mistakes.
Time to get some swimming done for Busso then it's winter training to go all out next season!
Good luck in all your races & training
Nigel
PS: Magda, thanks for the inspire, found it and will be utilising it

Edited by nigelw 2009-04-08 8:29 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The City of Joondalup Hillarys Triathlon - Pursuit Rss Feed