General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A few new bike questions.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-02 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: A few new bike questions....

So I bit the bullet and went bike shopping yesterday :-)  And leaving the store, I have a few questions lingering in my mind...not questions for the bike store guys...I think I exhausted them...questions from the folks out there riding the bikes :-)

First thing they have me to is hop on a few bikes trying to nail down size.  We conclude I should be riding a 50-51 cm top tube.  Cool...whatcha got?  Not much.  Dang.  Humor aside, the first 'big issue' in trying out a few bikes was that I came into the store wanting 700 wheels, not 650's.  There are about three bikes in my size, price range, component desire that do that.  Actually at first the guy tried to insist that ONLY specialized did it.  He finally dragged out the catalogs to discover that was not the case....but I digress.

FIRST QUESTION:  Am I being silly to limit myself to bikes with 700 wheels?  Background on me to explain my reasoning...I really am an endurance junkie.  I don't do sprints.  I really like 1/2 IM...and for just riding I even like to do the odd century here and there.  I am comfy in the aero position for a long time.  My understanding (and I'm sure several of you will schwack me) is that 700 wheels are better for longer distance, 650's are better for acceleration.  Even bike store guy semi-agreed with me when I told him what kind of races I like to do...but that doesn't mean anything!

They had two bikes in the store I could try.  First was a Trek Equinox 9.  The other was a Cervelo Dual.  The Trek was already built, they had to put the Dual together.  So the Trek got tested first!  OMG I felt like I was learning to ride a bike all over again!  I was totally unstable on this thing and half terrified to go into the aero bars for fear of my life.  Hmmm...this is not going well.  Finally the Dual is ready and we head back out to the test road.  NIGHT AND DAY!  I instantly take to this thing and am in aero within a couple of pedal strokes.  Hmmm...nice bike.

SECOND QUESTION:  Would I be nuts to stop my test riding here?  I guess this goes along a bit with the first question.  There might be a specialized I could try but the store did not have any in my size.  And Mr. Salesman tried to tell me that the specialized in my price/component range doesn't have nearly all the goodies the Dual has anyway.

Um, help?  I hate to be impulsive and buy the second bike I test rode...But do the bike experts out there have an opinion?  I have more questions, but these are the two biggies right now...they will determine how the remainder of my bike shopping endeavors go...

2005-04-02 11:54 AM
in reply to: #137122

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: A few new bike questions....
FWIW, the Dual is a fantastic value for a great tri bike.  I wouldn't stop your search there but keep it at the top of your list since you felt so comfortable on it.
2005-04-02 2:37 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Ok my turn. On the 700 vs 650 I am not an expert. That being said I am guessing you are not 6 ft. tall. Staying with 700 limits your choices. Assuming you are closer to 5ft, 7 in the smaller tires just "fit" under a smaller frame. I know you are not impulsive so consider ridding a couple of 650's even if it is a Dual.

On which bike to buy...take the lables off in your mind. You can not read them while you are biking. To choose the right bike it must complete you. The trek dose not seem to be right for you, and that is just fine. If time permits I would try a few more bikes with both wheel sizes and forget numbers and names. At mile 98 what the f*** is the difference. If the bike feels like it was there since the day your were born it must be right.

Good luck and let me know

2005-04-02 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, NC
If you're looking at 50 cm frames, 650cc wheels might be the better choice. I would recommend you read this:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/prodreview/tribikes/bikepick...
2005-04-02 8:29 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
I love my E9, however it's geometry suits me well. If I had it to do all over again I would go with the E7 and use the left over cash for a kick butt set of wheels. The E9 you tried may have been the wrong size or simply not adjusted to your dimensions. If the Dual feels better to you, go for it.

The 650 wheel simply allows for shorter chain stays. Any other qualities that a 650 wheel is claimed to have are mostly hyperbole. With cutout seat tubes, the need for 650 wheels is dwindling.

Test ride until you are satisfied you have found your new bike.
2005-04-02 9:38 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Try a Felt with 650s!!!  kidding of course.    I have heard nothing but good things about the Dual.  Maybe "the bear" will chime in shortly about his new Dual.   For me, I went in looking at everything but a Felt and well...you know how that ended and how happy I am.....why does that matter???  Because I knew immediately which one "Felt" the best.  If the Dual is what you like and are COMFORTABLE on it, then go with it.

2005-04-03 9:30 AM

Master
Colorado

Jen,

If you're comfortable riding the Dual and you're happy with the price, get it.  I love mine.  The bike is awesome all around.  If it makes you feel any better, go and test ride a few more, but unless you are going to spend significantly more money you are going to have a hard time finding a better spec'd bike. If you haven't already, go over to slowtwitch and bikesport michigan and read the reviews.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A few new bike questions.... Rss Feed