Sunset Racing
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m
Overall Rank = 120/133
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

This was my very first Tri so I was very nervous, and the race didn't start until 3:30pm so I had all day to pace, pack my tri bag, re pack my tri bag, and of course repack my tri bag. In fact I took the day off from work the day before so I could lay out and pack my tri bag. I spent the morning reviewing every aspect of the race and transitions. I ate everything in the fridge, and did I say pack my tri bag.

On the way to the race ate some chocolate pudding. Once there set up my transition area and walked around watching
Event warmup:

Walked around mostly, as the water was wayyyyy tooooo cold to get in early. Stretched and rested.
Swim
  • 9h 10m
  • 656 yards
  • 1h 23m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Being new to the mass swim, I was told by everyone and all internet comments to start to the outside rear, so I did. I was so excited that I went out too hard and at the first bouy was near the front of the pack. The cold water and my initial sprint took it;s toll on my breathing, so I slowed down and concentrated on not running over other swimmers. I apologize to the other swimmers if I climbed on top, but I have been a swimmer and water polo player since very young.

The swim ended at a dock, with only two ladders to get out, so everyone had to wait for a turn to get up. That meant treading water and waiting in line. In addition, the first rung of the ladder was way up high, so it was nearly impossible to pull yourself up (with tire arms). Good thing a volunteer was there to lend a hand to everyone
What would you do differently?:

Start at the front of the pack next time, and not go out so fast.
Transition 1
  • 08m 39s
Comments:

The directions from Tri friends and the internet all suggested keeping cap and goggles on from swim to ti T1 in order keep hands free to undo wet suit. Being Myoptic, I had to get my glasses from wifey (watching from sidelines) and couldn't put them on with the cap and goggles still on my head, so I had a hard time running to T1, walked instead. Also walked on dock due to being very slippery.

I had put candle wax on my wet suit zipper as during practice it was hard. This worked well but still needed so help at T1 to get it started.

Mucho trouble getting wet suit off eventhough I had practiced several times. I had to sit down on the floor and peel it off. I took my time and made sure I had everything on right for the ride.

Get the cap and goggles off and get my glasses on so I can run to T1. Lube better to get suit off faster.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 16s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 13.93 mile/hr
Comments:

I have only ridden six or seven times so I was really unprepared for the hills. On top of that while I decide if this is for me, I am using an older Raleigh 10 speed which leaves alot to be desired when climbing.

Coming out of T1, I was frustrated with my T1 problems and as I mounted the bike, the sidewalk was grooved, the crowd was cheering, and I was tired...you guessed it, I went off the edge of the walk and fell sideways in the dirt. Cut the back of my calf, but jumped up made a joke and got back in the saddle with the crowd yelling...water bottle water bottle. I had to stop and run back for my water bottle. Got back on and off I went a little flustered but determined.

Concentrate more on controlling the bike, Make sure I am on and secure before trying to get going
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Much more in line with everyone else in the race, and much more pleasant for me. Not wearing bike shoes yet so no change needed there. Off with helmet and gloves, on with hat, number belt, qucik drink and grab a small water bottle to drink and hold which helps me relax. Off I went

run bike in instead of walking
Run
  • 32m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were very tired due to the older, heavier 10 speed Raleigh bike I was using. The biking up hills were very hard and very zapping for me. I had run a 5K (my first ever run) the weekend before as an intro and to see what it was like. I was all alone so had no one to pace me, so I just set a cadence for myself and tried to maintain it.

I still have to learn how to drink while continuing to run instead of walking. As long as I am using the 10 speed the hills will kill my legs. More biking, more biking more biking I guess, so I have legs for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line leaving room between the guys in front of me for a photo op with hands in the air. Yea!!! Walked a few steps and then sat down and put down two little bottles of water. Walked up hill to transition area, cleaned up area, packed up and walked to car. Not hungry, just beat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

older heavy 10 speed Raleigh bike
Didn't put my glasses on after the swim so hard time running to T1
Wet suit hard to come off, need more practice
Start swim more at the front of pack instead of back and outside

Event comments:

The only two complaints are the lack of signage directing us to check in areas, and transition areas. Everyone was asking everyone else where to go.

The exit from the swim was terrible. Two ladders onto a dock meant that swimmers had to wait to get out. The first ladder rung was too high, so it was extremely difficult to get tired arms to pull you up and out.

Last updated: 2009-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
09:10:00 | 656 yards | 1h 23m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 0/133
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:39
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:20:16 | 18.64 miles | 13.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/1
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Out of T1 and onto grounds of Lake Las Vegas to an immediate up hill ride. Up hill, Up hill Up hill, then finally down to an immediate up hill and out onto the Lake Mead Parkway and you guessed it...up hill. (I thought that the law of nature was that everything that went up also comes down). Finally a nice long down hill into the Lake Mead National Park, thru the toll booths and to the turn around. Back on the same course and that nice long downhill now turned into a nice long up hill. Long climb, not that steep, but seemed like it went on forever. Down into the Lake community and back to T2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:31 | 03.11 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/1
Performance: Below average
Course: out of T1 onto the same road as the bike started so...up the hill past the golf course. About half way up the community road off onto a pack dirt path. Water station at the turn around mark (water was too cold to drink) Volunteers filled my water bottle for me and off I went back down hill on the same course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-04-05 11:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas
Subject: Lake Las Vegas Sunset Series 1

2009-11-23 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2064750

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Lake Las Vegas Sunset Series 1
Do you plan on doing this race in 2010? How many races have you done before this one mentioned?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Las Vegas Sunset Series 1 Rss Feed