General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Few questions about sprint tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-06 9:00 AM

Regular
Subject: Few questions about sprint tri
My first tri is coming up on April 19 (the Splash, Flash and Dash in Carmel, IN) and I have a few questions. It is a sprint distance, and the swim is done in a pool.

First, how do you taper, if at all, for a sprint tri? The race is on a Sunday, so what should I do the week before the race?  Right now I swim M-W-Th, bike M-W-Sat and run T-Th-Sun.

Second, how do you warm up for the swim, if at all? I feel very confident that I can easily finish the swim distance, but it occured to me that I am used to warming up for 300-500 yards beforehand. I have never jumped in the pool and swam a 400 cold.  At the race, we are allowed to swim in the pool to warm up before it starts. But because the race is in a pool and the swim is seeded according to swim time, once the race starts, I will have to wait in the holding pen until my flight is called. So will it do me any good to warm up if I have to wait until I can start my swim?

Thanks!

2009-04-06 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2065103

User image

Veteran
South Suburb of Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Few questions about sprint tri
I am actually doing that triathlon too.  The taper all depends on what your looking for. Since this is your first tri, your probably looking to finish. If anything, I would consider what your trying to do in it first off. Is it an 'A', 'B', or 'C' race? Are you looking at placing? Do you have a time your shooting for? Also a taper depends on how much training you have done. If your putting in 10-14 hour weeks and looking for a great 'A' race time, then your taper should begin about 7 or so days out. 'B' race about 4-5 days. 'C' race maybe 2-3 days tops. I am using this as a 'C' race, just to keep my training going, it just happens to fall at the end of my recovery week so that will help signifcantly.

Swimming, I dont ever warm up in the water for. A couple of reason. Normally the swim warm up is to early so it really has minimal effects on you by the time you finally start, also I prefer not to know what the feeling of the water temperature is until I jump in and freeze to death. I normally do some jumping jacks and then some stretching to get my muscles somewhat loose. I use the swim as my warm up for the bike and run portion.
2009-04-06 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

I would...

Swim normal (M-W-Th)
Bike (M-W)
No run at all for that week.

Running takes the most recovery and tapering for just a week should do it.  I would also take it easy on Saturday and get TONS of sleep Saturday night.

I would do a warm-up swim.  It'll loosen up your shoulders and back and help you stretch.  It'll be OK if you're then standing around in the pen waiting for your wave to kick off.  But to be honest, I've never done a pool-swim triathlon before.

2009-04-06 10:07 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Have fun at your first tri! 

Taper?  It's really up to you whether to taper or not.  A sprint is a relatively short duration (for endurance sports), so you really want to show up ready to race.  If you taper, cut your volume back for the week of the tri and try to go at a relatively high intensity.  Skip or significantly shorten a "long run" or "long ride." 

Swim warmup?  Good if you can get in.  Some people try to run a little, then bike a little, then swim a little prior to the start of the race.  Since you've got 2 weeks, practice a couple different things including:
1)  No real swim warmup (focus on a steady, sustainable pace for 500 or 1000 yards without a warmup).
2)  A 20-30 minute break between warmup and swimming. 
In both of these, pay attention to how you react to the change from your current training regime.  Which works better for you?  You can do some things while waiting to stretch and get the HR up a little in preparation for the swim, just be careful you don't overheat and then shock your system getting into the pool.  A few minutes in Z1 ought to set you up for the swim. 

Have fun! 

Have fun!

Have fun! 

2009-04-06 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2065208

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
scotty930 - 2009-04-06 9:40 AM I am actually doing that triathlon too.  The taper all depends on what your looking for. Since this is your first tri, your probably looking to finish. If anything, I would consider what your trying to do in it first off. Is it an 'A', 'B', or 'C' race? Are you looking at placing? Do you have a time your shooting for? Also a taper depends on how much training you have done. If your putting in 10-14 hour weeks and looking for a great 'A' race time, then your taper should begin about 7 or so days out. 'B' race about 4-5 days. 'C' race maybe 2-3 days tops. I am using this as a 'C' race, just to keep my training going, it just happens to fall at the end of my recovery week so that will help signifcantly.

I disagree with this.  For a sprint, regardless if it's an "A" or "C" race, I think your taper should be no more than 2-3 days.  IMHWO (In my humble worthless opinion) the race is too short to have a full week taper.  3 days before my sprint, day 1 - I drop my duration down to 60-75% of my regular duration, day 2 - I take off completely, day 3 - I'll do a quick short interval set of running or biking, but nothing more than a 1-2 mile run or 8-10 miles on the bike. Get plenty of rest, eat properly, hydrate, and mentally prepare walking yourself through the entire race. 
2009-04-06 10:36 AM

User image

Regular
St. John's Newfoundland
Strostertags idea seems sensible. Three to Four days of tapering back on your total volume should be fine.

I think the two important points is to do some good efforts, even if you are decreasing volume. And I wouldn't take a complete day off the day before, you will feel tired and crappy on the day of the race.

I would also take advantage of the warmup time, even if you are going to be a while on deck before your wave. It happens frequently that there is a delay between the end of the warmup and the start of the race, but it is still better than jumping in cold.

Best of luck, and have fun.

2009-04-06 11:29 AM

User image

Regular
SW VA
My advice on taper... is more of a refocus than a taper.

My basic week would look like monday and tuesday normal work outs (whatever the plan would have been I would just do.

Wednesday I would plan a a practice transition day.  So for me it was five minutes in the pool at race pace (which was the race distance) transition to the bike for 10/15 minutes at what I hoped would be race pace, then 10 minutes or 1/3 my race distance at race pace.  Wednesday evening or after that work out I would do a sauna/hot tub followed by a good stretch and self massage.

Thursday - off or very light
Friday - form swim in the pool and a light bike on the trainer for 15/20 minutes.  Very light work on both just enough to get the HR to Z1 or max 2 and then strecth.

I am no pro... but that was my strategy and I felt very good for my race.  someone I respect in the tri world said to me "it's only  your second race, try that plan you have in place, if it works do it again, if it doesn't try it differently next time... just have fun"
2009-04-06 11:49 AM

Regular
Thanks. I really like the idea of doing a practice mini-tri the Wednesday before.  That will also give me the chance to try out my new tri-suit and get comfortable with it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Few questions about sprint tri Rss Feed