General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stiff ankles when running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-06 9:38 PM

Master
STL
Subject: Stiff ankles when running
For a couple months now, I've been getting very stiff ankles when I run (in the front right in the joint area). I've gotten new shoes and try changing the way I have them tied and I can't figure out what's going on. I used to get the same feeling before I became a "runner" and always thought I had "weak ankles" but it hasn't bothered be for about 6 years untill now. I am recovering from achillies tendonopathy on one ankle, but other than that I can't figure out why! The only thing I can figure is that I've been doing so much reading on form, I'm trying to change my form and there for running different! Anyone have this issue or any advise?

2009-04-07 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2067145

User image

Colorado
Subject: RE: Stiff ankles when running

I have stiff ankles in the front...so stiff if I flutter kick with a kickboard, I go backwards.  One thing that has helped mine loosen up is swimming with fins on.  I know we're talking about running, and mine tighten right up then, but fins help loosen them up again...although they still don't get near any normal range of loose yet. 

I also sit in the hot tub at the gym with a good jet on the tight spots, and sit on my feet tucked under me as much as possible to try to stretch that out.  I get a massage every other week or so and the massage therapist works on the adhesions (there are alot of those!) in the muscles along the top of my foot/front of my ankle.

Mine resulted from foot surgeries and a sprained ankle, I believe, and hopefully in time they will get better?  Anyway, I hope some of these suggestions help loosen them up a little.

2009-04-07 4:24 PM

User image

Colorado
Actually, does the joint itself get stiff?  Or the muscle?  I obviously assumed muscle...
2009-04-07 7:52 PM

Master
STL
well, I think it's the muscle, I can sometimes even feel it into the lower part of my shins.  I stretch and roll my ankle before running and after warming up.
2009-04-07 9:34 PM

Regular
The stiffness could be either muscle/soft tissue or actual joint stiffness and lack of mobility.  The ankle may be stiff because the plantar flexors are tight and restricting proper movement.  The ankle may also be stiff because the joint mobility has been compromised and the tibia is not sliding over the talus properly during the gait cycle.

The first scenario requires some soft tissue work to the plantar flexors and stretching.

The second scenario requires some soft tissue work to the anterior portion of the foot (the retinaculum) and some joint mobilizations to help improve overall mobility.

Patrick
2009-04-08 8:19 AM

Master
STL
ummm, OK, what he said! I'll be seeing my chiropractor soon, so I'll see what he he says as well...but really, what you described, is sort of what it feels like (keywords: tightness and tibia)

2009-04-10 12:47 AM

Hi,

I have the same problem too.  However, it appears during the 2nd 1/4 of my run, then nearly goes away for the remainder of my run.  I am stumped, as I too have the right shoes, Superfeet arch support, and I am doing exercises recommended by my PT.

The stiffness affects the flexibility in my foot, so it lands flat/making a slapping noise.  My arch in this foot is slightly lower than the other, so I'm not sure if I should be seeing a Podiatrist.

I can't find any information out there, and my PT doesn't know what it is.  Any advice for next step?
2009-04-10 5:13 AM
in reply to: #2075429

Master
STL
good to know I'm not the only one with this. My feet to tend to make a slapping sound when hitting the ground. Now, I will say my last two runs have been good. I looked up chi running and am taking a bit of advice from that. Basically, you are leaning forward at your hips using you body weight to propel yourself (sort of like if you stand and lean forward untill your feet catch you). It seems to be helping.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stiff ankles when running Rss Feed