General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Pain: Corrective and Preventitive Strategies for the Active Runner Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-07 9:36 PM

Regular
Subject: Knee Pain: Corrective and Preventitive Strategies for the Active Runner
I am giving a free lecutre on knee pain (see the title of the thread) this Thursday, 4/9, at 7:30pm at Sole Sports Running in Tempe, Arizona (North/East corner of Werner and Rural).

Just thought I would throw it out there for anyone interested.

Patrick Ward, MS, CSCS, LMT
Free Training Tips At Optimum Sports Performance Blog

2009-04-08 4:27 AM
in reply to: #2069869

Subject: RE: Knee Pain: Corrective and Preventitive Strategies for the Active Runner
I would love to come but I don't live at your location! Will you be putting it on your blog?
2009-04-08 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2070133

Regular
Subject: RE: Knee Pain: Corrective and Preventitive Strategies for the Active Runner
Don't know if I'll be able to get anyone out there to video tape this one for me.  If I do, I'll let you know.

Patrick
2009-04-26 7:51 AM
in reply to: #2070433

Patrick, I have a problem with my right knee. I have been having knee pain on the inside right in the middle on the inside of my right knee. I was doing PT for what the dr thought was PF but ended up being a tight calf. The PT had me doing an excerise were I would sit on the floor with one knee bent and the other straight, I would then contract my thigh and lift my leg straight up. What the PT said I was doing was contracting to tight and I was causing my knee to Super ? I can't think of the word so he told me to stop and put a rolled up towel under my knee before I lift. Anyway from day on I have been having this pain and at night when I stretch in my sleep I hurt this same spot. What have I done to the inside of my knee and what can I do to fix it?  I notice that when I twist my knee this hurts.  I have not stopped running and I ice it. The PT told me I don't need to stop running just change the way I do this excerise. He also said I need to strengthen my right knee.  HELP ME PATRICK YOU ARE MY ONLY HOPE!! HE HE HE Laughing
2009-04-27 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2110739

Regular
Cashmere - 2009-04-26 6:51 AM Patrick, I have a problem with my right knee. I have been having knee pain on the inside right in the middle on the inside of my right knee. I was doing PT for what the dr thought was PF but ended up being a tight calf. The PT had me doing an excerise were I would sit on the floor with one knee bent and the other straight, I would then contract my thigh and lift my leg straight up. What the PT said I was doing was contracting to tight and I was causing my knee to Super ? I can't think of the word so he told me to stop and put a rolled up towel under my knee before I lift. Anyway from day on I have been having this pain and at night when I stretch in my sleep I hurt this same spot. What have I done to the inside of my knee and what can I do to fix it?  I notice that when I twist my knee this hurts.  I have not stopped running and I ice it. The PT told me I don't need to stop running just change the way I do this excerise. He also said I need to strengthen my right knee.  HELP ME PATRICK YOU ARE MY ONLY HOPE!! HE HE HE Laughing

Did he say you were "hyper-extending" your knee and that was what was giving you the pain/problem?

Did the doctor or PT given you any diagnosis of what the medial knee pain is? Medial knee pain can be a number of things (meniscus problems, pes anserine brusitis, MCL strain, etc..).  Sometimes it can be trigger point referral problems or just irritation (either mechanical or chemical) of the nerve.

What else are you doing in PT besides the exercise (which sounds like a hip extension exercise)?

Patrick
2009-04-28 4:17 AM
in reply to: #2113899

Patrick Ward - 2009-04-27 6:28 PM
Cashmere - 2009-04-26 6:51 AM Patrick, I have a problem with my right knee. I have been having knee pain on the inside right in the middle on the inside of my right knee. I was doing PT for what the dr thought was PF but ended up being a tight calf. The PT had me doing an excerise were I would sit on the floor with one knee bent and the other straight, I would then contract my thigh and lift my leg straight up. What the PT said I was doing was contracting to tight and I was causing my knee to Super ? I can't think of the word so he told me to stop and put a rolled up towel under my knee before I lift. Anyway from day on I have been having this pain and at night when I stretch in my sleep I hurt this same spot. What have I done to the inside of my knee and what can I do to fix it?  I notice that when I twist my knee this hurts.  I have not stopped running and I ice it. The PT told me I don't need to stop running just change the way I do this excerise. He also said I need to strengthen my right knee.  HELP ME PATRICK YOU ARE MY ONLY HOPE!! HE HE HE Laughing

Did he say you were "hyper-extending" your knee and that was what was giving you the pain/problem?

Did the doctor or PT given you any diagnosis of what the medial knee pain is? Medial knee pain can be a number of things (meniscus problems, pes anserine brusitis, MCL strain, etc..).  Sometimes it can be trigger point referral problems or just irritation (either mechanical or chemical) of the nerve.

What else are you doing in PT besides the exercise (which sounds like a hip extension exercise)?

Patrick

Patrick, I believe the word I was trying to think of is: Supernating I guess what I am trying to say is when I straighten my knee it makes an "v" shape I am not saying I do this at all. That is the only thing I can use to discribe what he told me and that I irrtated something there.  NO MRI or xray he told me because it started when I was in PT and not any other time that I did it with the excerise. I took out my inserts and put in the ones that came with the shoes and ran yesterday and now my achilles is hurting so I am icing that but knee hurt just a little last night in my sleep.  
Yea, he is having my work on my hip and glutes.  I have not gone back in about 3 weeks because I did not feel this was helping me. What do you think?

2009-04-28 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2114637

Regular
Cashmere - 2009-04-28 3:17 AM
Patrick Ward - 2009-04-27 6:28 PM

Patrick

Patrick, I believe the word I was trying to think of is: Supernating I guess what I am trying to say is when I straighten my knee it makes an "v" shape I am not saying I do this at all. That is the only thing I can use to discribe what he told me and that I irrtated something there.  NO MRI or xray he told me because it started when I was in PT and not any other time that I did it with the excerise. I took out my inserts and put in the ones that came with the shoes and ran yesterday and now my achilles is hurting so I am icing that but knee hurt just a little last night in my sleep.  
Yea, he is having my work on my hip and glutes.  I have not gone back in about 3 weeks because I did not feel this was helping me. What do you think?

Ah, yes that is hyperextending (I have never heard anyone refer to that as supination - that isn't the appropriate term in that instance).

it sounds like a strange case of a number of factors going on.  Most of this is trying to determine what your movement is like and trying to help develop better movement patterns.  Finding ways to move that don't hurt, is important to help the body/nervous system start to re-develop proper patterns.  The problem is that this stuff is tough to do via the internet (lol).

Is there anything you do that makes the knee feel better?  Anything that hurts it (obviously running hurts it)?  Can you perform a squat or a lunge without pain?

Patrick
2009-05-09 6:30 PM
in reply to: #2069869

User image

Regular
Never had knee pain or problems as a 54 year old runner ... but.. just ran a half and didn't train properly.. longest runs were 9 miles stayed with pace group up to 9 miles then faded.. but... now week after have achy knees and bigtime sore right knee when trying to run or bike.. outside ride side of right knee.. ouchy.. anyone???
2009-05-12 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2140877

Regular
Jacquigirl - 2009-05-09 5:30 PM Never had knee pain or problems as a 54 year old runner ... but.. just ran a half and didn't train properly.. longest runs were 9 miles stayed with pace group up to 9 miles then faded.. but... now week after have achy knees and bigtime sore right knee when trying to run or bike.. outside ride side of right knee.. ouchy.. anyone???

Sounds like an issue with your program design (and that is an understatement)!!

Rest, use some ice to get the inflammation down and foam roll to help get the soft tissue moving.

I'll spare you a lecture on the importance of planning better for your races. 

Patrick

Free Training Tips and Optimum Sports Performance Blog
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Pain: Corrective and Preventitive Strategies for the Active Runner Rss Feed