Ironman North America
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 42m 18s
Overall Rank = 860/2115
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 139/313
Pre-race routine:

Stayed with the wife down in Carlsbad. Much nicer area to stay than Oceanside, I highly recommend going five minutes further south on the freeway to stay there. Enjoyed a dinner without the kids at TGIF's there in Calabassas. Stayed at the Marriott Courtyard, it was quiet and the room was nice enough.

Morning of the race, got up at 4:30, loaded up and on the way by about 5:15. Parking is easy, hopped on the bike and rode down to transition. Got transition set up and tried to hit the bathroom in the swim chute, but the jerk staffer wouldn't let me use the porta potties early in the swim chute when I needed to go. So I waited in line to do my morning business only to run out of time because there are not enough facilities. By the time I got back there with a wetsuit on after waiting in the other never-ending bathroom line, I didn't have time to wait in the line for the now open swim chute porta potties. It's absolutely ridiculous that they can't provide more toilets at this race. Next time I put my wetsuit on and stand at the swim chute porta potties until the retard that they post there decides that the bathrooms are open. It ain't worth going to any other bathroom line PERIOD END OF STORY.
Swim
  • 29m 46s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

My right goggle had water in it for most of the swim, and I don't see all that well without my glasses as it is. So sighting was pretty much out for this race. I just followed the crowd, and it was crowded. There were at least two times that some totally lost person from a previous wave swam sideways directly into me. But I just cruised at a reasonable pace, never managed to catch a draft, and came out sub-30 for the swim leg. That's good enough for me.
What would you do differently?:

Earn my pro card so there aren't so many bodies to weave through on the swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 55s
Comments:

My transitions aren't the quickest, don't really care. I'll put effort into it if I am ever closer to going sub-5 hours. At least I had my transition set up well this time so everything was organized.

Nada
Bike
  • 2h 50m 35s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.70 mile/hr
Comments:

I hoped to break 20 mph, but came up just short at 19.7. Next time! At least my bike split was in the top half of my age group this year. Ultimately I want to hold 21+ mph over this course.

Maybe I will pick up some race wheels and an aero helmet someday. That would probably have helped me make 20 mph. This year I will make intervals a regular feature of my bike training.
Transition 2
  • 04m 21s
Comments:

Unclipped with my left shoe still on, then had the shoe ratcheting mechanism stick. That cost me 15 or 20 seconds. Also included a bathroom stop.

Buy tri shoes.
Run
  • 2h 12m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

My running still stinks, but at least I am training now after my injury before last year's race. I did well for the first couple miles but then faded quickly. Considering my longest training run was about 4 miles, that's about all I could expect. I still cut about :40 from last year's mile pace.

Continue run training and extending mileage.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, eat pizza and orange slices.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Really would have been nice to go to the bathroom before the race.

Event comments:

Not enough porta potties.

Last updated: 2009-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:46 | 2112 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 29/313
Overall: 221/2115
Performance: Good
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: Entry from a carpeted concrete boat ramp into Oceanside harbor. Deep water start, out towards the harbor entrance on far side of buoys, back on the other side closer to the break wall. Water is relatively calm.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:50:35 | 56 miles | 19.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 91/313
Overall: 557/2115
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: I like this bike course except for all the stuff that twists through town at the start and finish. Head north along the ocean, eventually cut in to Camp Pendleton. There are some hills there, nothing too bad from my perspective since I climb lots during training.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:12:43 | 13.1 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 198/313
Overall: 1314/2115
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loops along strand, but have to cross sandy beach 4 times during this (twice out and back). Flat. Watch out for kids and people crossing path.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-10 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: Ford Ironman 70.3 California

2009-04-10 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2075977

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
David, great job out there.  Smokin' fast swim and incredible on the run with only 4 miles for your longest training run.  Way to go!
2009-04-14 12:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA
Great race Zulu!  You put the smackdown on that swim, especially having to deal with the sun.  Wanna trade swim times, lol?  I can only hope to pull a sub-30 minute 1.2 mile swim in a race at this point.  You pulled a solid time on that bike segment too...  Here's to a great season to come - its still early and we're lucky to be located in triathlon mecca!
2009-04-16 12:13 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Killer job out there. Well done!! I'm not sure what was up with the volunteers at the swim start, you weren't the only person turned away. Total bummer there.

I'm impressed with how your run  turned  out, sub 6 hours nice. Keep up the awesome work this season.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman 70.3 California Rss Feed