TriTexas.com
70+F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 54m 47s
Overall Rank = 40/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early.... made myself a cup of coffe and ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Ate a poptar and half of a powerbar. Drove to moody gardens, which is a beautiful place, and found that there was not place for me to place my bike. everythin was packed, and of corse there were too many people that take too much space... So i decided to push someone over and made myself a little room closer to the exit for the run. Laid my things over and made a mental check of the things i needed and where I was supposed to leave them.
Event warmup:

I ran a couple of minutes and then came back and put my wet-suit on. Streched and warmed up my arms. i started to talk to people around and they were telling me of the disorganization of the day before... I thought to myself... ooho ohoo... this does not sound good. I am bad with directions and i will definitly someone to guide me at everycorner.
made my way to the beach which happens to be like... far a way from transition.... and watched the halfiron peple get under way. The organizeres were telling us.. right thre that the bike course had been changed and that there will be aid stations with energy gels, water and gatorade at every mile in the run and a couple in the bike course... I thought to myself, if they are giving powergels, I should not be carrying my powergel puch and use theirs... What a thought!!
Swim
  • 24m 24s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started slow, at the end of the pack. I quickly caught up and started to pass people. My stupid googles really fogged up and could not see where I was going. I was off course a couple of times and it really hurted my time..
I could not draft at all... everybody was either going too fast or too slow... could not find someone to draft at a comfortable pace....

What would you do differently?:

Get antifog googles.... definitly...
and start harder... I think that the conservative start was way way way too slow. I know I could have done this faster...
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

The transition area was way off the end of the swim. I say it took me around 1 1/2 minuts to get there...

make a faster transition.. but I think I did ok once I reached the transition area..
Bike
  • 1h 32m
  • 28 miles
  • 18.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I had the beginnings of a cramp on my right calf in the bike. I realize that I was sweating a lot and needed some glucose and electrolite replenishement. did i mention they said they were going to have gatorade, water and gels in every water station... well they did not.. I am glad I brought my own, i took a gel and a salt tablet and I think that did it. My cramping sensation just went away and I just kept on grinding.

get my cyclocomputer installed so i know how fast I am going and how hard I need to work.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

I had a good second transition. My rack was empty so i had all the room in the world to get ready....

Not much...
Run
  • 53m 51s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I started slow trying to recoup from the bike. In about 5 mins into the run i settled into a comfortable pace... it was ok and I passed people... only two people passed me in the run which made me feel good aobut my pace.

not much.... I think i needed to run faster. In fact I would have been able to crank it up a litte... but some reason the conservative me did not allow the risk-take me to do just that.
Post race
Warm down:

Got to the finish line and ate some goddies there. I drank all the gatorade that I was supposed to drink during the run and then I just stayed at the end and cheered for the finisherss for a while. Load up my bike and left... I was by myself there... My wife was not there so I had no one to hang out with and the results were not going to be posted until later in the day... thus... i left..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Two things... I should have swam faster and run faster... i know I could have done those things... next time I will try to do better

Event comments:

I think that the poeple organizing the triathlon need to do a better job in recruiting and organizing volunteers. Moody Gardens is a beautiful place and I think this event would be a great success.. but organization and some sense of direction would be the best thing to improve upon.
Now... I wonder when the results are going to be posted.... well not soon enough i believe.

Last updated: 2005-04-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:24 | 1760 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Salt water sucks... this was my first long swim on the ocean and I did not enjoy it.. I placed 8th out the water..... 8TH... i could not believe it...
Suit: full QR
Course: I had a cut on the sole of my feet... some stone, or something cut me and being in salty water it really hurt a little.. but then i stop feeling it.
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:32:00 | 28 miles | 18.26 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Ok... I got lost on this one.. i don't know how long it took me to get back on course.. the completly lack of organization in this race really was evident. there was no enough volunteers... obviously. I got to a corner, turn and nobody stopped me. After a few minutes I look back and nobody was there, nobody in front and then i realize that I was off course.. I quickly went back and once I got back I had a few words for the only person there... but I kept them to myself.. maybe he tried to stop me and i did not listen..
Wind: Little
Course: the course was a little windy with a slow gradient up all the way until the turnaround. then the wind was on our favor and i really crancked up there. I think I was doing over 20 MPH in the way back.. (sorry I haven't installed my cyclocomptur just yet)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:51 | 06.5 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: It was a asphalt run... unlike the bike, it was well marked.... However... again the water stations had little. I found none with gatorade, only water. and at the end of the run I heard people saying that there were some with absolutly nothing left.... only cups
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2005-04-04 11:03 AM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Subject: International Galveston Triathlon

2005-04-04 9:19 PM
in reply to: #137706

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: International Galveston Triathlon
Your times look pretty darn good. Too bad the organization of the event didn't match the beautiful weather this weekend. With the exception of the wind of course.

I did the sprint on Saturday and cut my foot as well. It looks like it's going to take a week or so to heel.

In any case, Good Job!

Brittain
2005-04-06 5:12 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Congratulations on third place! What age group are you in?
I read your whole report with my mouth open - what a mess!!!
I admire your composure and your speed - GREAT JOB!!
2005-04-08 3:45 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Way to go Luis!

-Frank
2005-04-11 5:02 PM

User image

Expert