The Crescent City Fitness foundation
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up to coffee and bagels, showered, dressed and drove about fifteen minutes to City Park Stadium, where the race finishes. There we caught a bus to the French Quarter where the race starts. Coolest temperatures in memory, at 62F.
Event warmup:

Hung out awhile, then Angel and Dakota went to their corral while Dylan, Dante', and I went to ours (45-50-minute race time). There we did the portapotty dance, hit it the last time ten minutes before start, right when they opened the corrals to line everyone up. When all was said and done, we were about thirty yards from the start line, probably the closest we have ever started.
Run
  • 49m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

As well-organized as the corrals/start is there are still morons who try to beat the system. About fifty yards after the start we came upon eight wide-assed walkers strolling side-by-side, having no business being that far up at the start. Almost pitied them for their ignorance, and the fact that they were getting pounded by the runners making their way past.

Other than that, negotiating the crowd was no more difficult than in previous years, given 17,000 runners on fairly narrow streets you can expect to expend some time and/or energy on the first mile. Dante' stuck with me, and we finished in a surprising 8:08. After that first mile it starts to thin, so you can hit your stride and maintain your pace where you want. Lost Dante' late in the the second mile, finished that one in 8:10.

From there it was enjoy the crowd, enjoy the other sights, and suffer. Negative split every mile from there, hitting 8:05, 7:58, 7:55, and 7:48 for miles 3 through 6, then stepped it up for a 6:52 pace over the last .2.

What would you do differently?:

Eh, nothing. This was a PR for me in this race, although it was 3:20 slower than my PR for the distance. Given the crowd, the usual heat, and the other distractions, CCC10K is not a PR race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to our designated place to wait for Dante', who finished soon after in 55:50. We lost Dylan early, turns out he ran like 53 minutes and met us shortly after the finish. Went into the post-race area, drank a couple of gatorades, ate, and waited for Angel and Dakota.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crowd, temps, distractions, training, big ol' belly are the major limiters.

Event comments:

This has become an Easter family tradition, we all go up to NO the night before then do the race on Saturday. Post-race this year wasn't in the stadium as usual, killed some of the ambience, but still a good party.

Last updated: 2008-11-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:50 | 06.21 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Starts in front of Jackson Square, then Decatur to Poydras to Rampart to Esplanade, out on City Park Avenue, then back on Dreyfous to NOMA and up Roosevelt Mall to the finish near Tad Gormley Stadium.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-12 4:19 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: Crescent City Classic

2009-04-12 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2079612

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Subject: RE: Crescent City Classic
A sub-50' 10k for a youngster like you is mighty nice.

Great job.

Steve
2009-04-13 8:44 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Nice work John! I need to make it over for the CCC some time...
2009-04-14 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Really miss the CCC.  Definitely will be there next year since I am transferring back close to there (Pensacola).  Looking forward to the Mardi Gras Half as well, but CCC has always been one of my favorites!!!

Nice race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crescent City Classic Rss Feed