General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sore calves after 2 week layoff from running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-13 7:07 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Subject: sore calves after 2 week layoff from running
I've taken the last two weeks off from running b/c of the birth of our daughter.  Today I went out and ran 3 miles on fairly flat roads and now both of my calves are tight and a notch above sore.  I've not had this happen before, so I'm curious if it is either: 1. soreness/pain to be expected with a 2-week haitus or 2. time to replace the shoes?  I don't think my shoes have more than 150 miles on them (if that) and I only use them for running.  I used the stick and ate a good recovery meal (rice + beef stroganoff + 32 oz water).

Any suggestions/thoughts?  Do I just HTFU and deal?

2009-04-13 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2082018

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA
Subject: RE: sore calves after 2 week layoff from running

My guess is it was a combination of two sources:

a) Your two week rest, with some muscle loss;

b) The stress associated with having a new baby (even if it doesn't "feel" stressful)

Congratulations on your new addition and don't worry about a little soreness!

Oh, and a quick FYI for the new father: If your wife (or girlfriend/finance) is anything like my wife, I also wouldn't bring up soreness in her presence for the next four weeks or so, it's liable to get something thrown at your head (usually a shoe)

2009-04-13 7:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sorry for the long winded answer.  It's relatively calm here this afternoon and I rode.  This was supposed to be my afternoon off and I'm a little bonked so I'm having trouble getting up from the chair.

I'm going to bet on you lost some strength and range of motion in the layoff and came back a little hard.  Last I checked, it only takes 72hrs of layoff to start losing strength and range of motion.

It takes about 48hrs for inflammation to reach it's peak.  Try to keep them stretched out in the mean time.  A gentle loading force on them while stretching can help.  Most muscles will heal a little faster under a gentle eccentric load (keep tension while getting longer)  than a concentric (tension while getting shorter).  Avoid ballistic motions if at all possible until you are absolutely sure the problem has gone away.

If the muscles are as sore as you say, I will frequently wrap them tightly with ace wraps from the foot up to the knee and then elevate them for 15 minutes or so 3 or 4 times a day.  Try to walk without increasing the pain.  Try getting on an indoor trainer and gently spin but makes sure you're not standing on your toes.  Get in the water and swim.  Running in about high waist level water can be helpful.

I usually use the following rules.  If the pain stops at the stop of running I don't usually have much to worry about.  If it persists then I have 3 days.  If it still persists after 3 days it may be a little more significant and will probably take 3-6 weeks to work it out.  If it persists greater than 6wks and prevents me from running normally, the season for me is pretty much over.
2009-04-13 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Funny - I just spent an hour walking the floor with my daughter to get her to calm down (extremely fussy tonight), and my calves feel great now!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sore calves after 2 week layoff from running Rss Feed