General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-04-15 6:02 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance : Official Thread
I don't see a thread for the Wildflower Oly so I'm starting one.  Who's in?

2009-04-15 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2085267

User image

Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance : Official Thread
2009-04-15 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

Just curious , is the Olympic  sold out  and ,  if not ,  what is the cost ?

2009-04-15 1:33 PM

User image

looks like about 3250 of 3500 spots sold, $175.    You know you wanna  
2009-04-15 10:36 PM

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
i had wanted to do the MTB sprint on Saturday (stupid professional obligations) but got in the game too late - sold out.  The Oly is Sunday and I am not ready for the Saturday long course.  Maybe next year.

2009-04-15 11:22 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA
I'm thinking about doing this race. We just got an RV and I want to take it camping, plus I have a friend doing the long course on Sat. and I want to cheer him on. Oh and my tri club is going to have tons of people there that I can also cheer on.

I do have some reservations, because at this point I can swim a mile and bike 25-30, but the longest I've run is about 5+ miles and that was just yesterday. Plus my first ever triathlon is this Sunday and it's a Sprint distance (though the run is 4 miles).

Am I crazy to be thinking of doing this event -- both Olympic distance and all those hills -- for my second tri ever?

2009-04-16 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2087944

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
MacMadame - 2009-04-15 9:22 PM I'm thinking about doing this race. We just got an RV and I want to take it camping, plus I have a friend doing the long course on Sat. and I want to cheer him on. Oh and my tri club is going to have tons of people there that I can also cheer on.

I do have some reservations, because at this point I can swim a mile and bike 25-30, but the longest I've run is about 5+ miles and that was just yesterday. Plus my first ever triathlon is this Sunday and it's a Sprint distance (though the run is 4 miles).

Am I crazy to be thinking of doing this event -- both Olympic distance and all those hills -- for my second tri ever?

My two cents (and there some other Cali vets that can chime in) - is that if your training has carried you to the point to be comfortably ready for your Sprint this weekend, that it would be too much to jump up to the Oly in two weeks.  The body just reacts different when you start considering being out on the course for 2+hours - nutrition is different, pacing is different.  I did a warm up sprint two weeks and felt crushed out there because I was still doing maintenance volume and training specifically to be ready.  Just sounds like too much, especially if your stand alone longest run is 5 miles (nevermind what happens after a swim and 40K bike with hills.

Now - if you want a goal - sign up for the Malibu Oly in September, pretty flat run and mostly rolling hills and there would be time to build up to gauge the volume.

ETA:  but given that you have friends there, want to put the RV to good use, why not sign up to volunteer during the weekend?  Great chance to connect with the tri community without the racing itself.

Edited by Revbigdog 2009-04-16 10:04 AM
2009-04-16 5:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Surf City USA Huntington Beach, Calif.
I am in for the Olympic. Driving up from Orange County. I will be staying is Paso Robles for the weekend. I am looking forward to it.
Mark
2009-04-16 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2087944

User image

Master
San Francisco
MacMadame - 2009-04-15 9:22 PM I'm thinking about doing this race. We just got an RV and I want to take it camping, plus I have a friend doing the long course on Sat. and I want to cheer him on. Oh and my tri club is going to have tons of people there that I can also cheer on.

What revbigdog says makes sense and is probably sage advice; then again, there are plenty of crazy folk (myself included) who are fond of pushing themselves in ways that seem extreme to others (and perhaps all of us seem that way to many non-triathletes).  You'll have to figure out your own level of crazy.  You may as well do your sprint first and see how you feel.  It sounds like it hasn't sold out yet (although there is, of course, always the chance it between now and if you decide to do it).  If you do decided to do it, you'd certainly want to set your expectations accordingly (i.e. simply to finish and enjoy it and not be at your fastest).  But Wildflower is a great experience either racing or cheering from the sidelines.
2009-04-16 9:38 PM

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
Speaking of crazy...

5/2/09 Wildflower Long Course
5/3/09 Wildflower Olympic

Are you really going out back to back?!?!?

/bow
/salute
"We're not worthy!  We're not worthy!"
2009-04-17 1:57 AM

User image

Expert
Northern CA
Well, I signed up for it anyway. When I saw ChrisM's post that it was that close to being filled up, I panicked and just did it. I know it's crazy, but I just can't regret it. I figure it will be an experience vs. actually racing for time or some other training goal.

In fact, my only goal is to get out of the water before the first cut off. If I can do that, I think I'll be fine, because the other cut off times don't seem as close a call. (I've got 5 hours and 25 min. from the time my wave starts and I think I can do it in 4.5 hours, give or take.)

But Mr. Mac ixnayed the RV because he didn't want his first time driving it to be on the road to Monterey. (Hilly, twisty and narrow.) Plus the way they have it set up, there was no guarantee there'd be an RV spot left when we showed up.

So I'll be camping out with my tri club in a tent. Which will be an experience in and of itself!

2009-04-17 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2090443

User image

Master
San Francisco
Revbigdog - 2009-04-16 7:38 PM Speaking of crazy...

5/2/09 Wildflower Long Course
5/3/09 Wildflower Olympic

Are you really going out back to back?!?!?

/bow
/salute
"We're not worthy!  We're not worthy!"

That's the plan!  Like I said "there are plenty of crazy folk (myself included) who are fond of pushing themselves in ways that seem extreme to others"  Laughing
2009-04-17 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2090648

User image

Master
San Francisco
MacMadame - 2009-04-16 11:57 PM
Well, I signed up for it anyway. When I saw ChrisM's post that it was that close to being filled up, I panicked and just did it. I know it's crazy, but I just can't regret it. I figure it will be an experience vs. actually racing for time or some other training goal.

In fact, my only goal is to get out of the water before the first cut off. If I can do that, I think I'll be fine, because the other cut off times don't seem as close a call. (I've got 5 hours and 25 min. from the time my wave starts and I think I can do it in 4.5 hours, give or take.)

But Mr. Mac ixnayed the RV because he didn't want his first time driving it to be on the road to Monterey. (Hilly, twisty and narrow.) Plus the way they have it set up, there was no guarantee there'd be an RV spot left when we showed up.

So I'll be camping out with my tri club in a tent. Which will be an experience in and of itself!

Marie, you'll have a great experience there and you won't regret it.  Either way, you'll have a good story to tell on your first oly.
2009-04-17 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
Excited for you both!  You will have a friend cheering from a distance!
2009-04-17 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2091002

User image

Expert
Northern CA
enginerd - 2009-04-17 6:34 AM 
Marie, you'll have a great experience there and you won't regret it.  Either way, you'll have a good story to tell on your first oly.

Thanks! After yesterday's bike ride, I did start to wonder if this was a good idea. But I think it will be fun. Yes, I have a twisted idea of what is fun.

You look familiar... since we live in the same area, is it possible I know you? 
2009-04-18 12:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO
Glad someone started this thread! I kept checking for one, but didn't feel right barging in on the CA forum.

I'll be coming out from CO for it. My friend and I are both signed up for the Oly and will be camping Thursday - Sun. That reminds me... need to find my sleeping bag and see how I can pack it along with my race gear. With the $$ the airline charges for taking a bike on the plane, I'm limited to one other checked bag and doubt I'll have much space left after race gear and a few clothing items.  But since we are snowed in today with 1.5 feet of snow, I guess I might as well start planning how I'm going to pack!

I'll be the tall woman with the pink John Deere baseball cap (that may be wearing the same clothes all four days if I run out of room in my bag! Embarassed) Say "Hi!" If you see me!

2009-04-20 9:56 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Just registered today for the OLY. Will be caravanning thru with friends from AZ either getting there late thursday night or friday am

I havent been to Wildflower before or camped before a race, so I'm nervous and excited. Also I will be travelling with my kids (no hubby) and we are tent camping. Can anyone give me the heads up on the camping? I can't pre-pay for camping- had to do that before 4/15, so what is the procedure when we arrive? My friends are staying in an RV and I believe that RV parking is in a different place?

Donato- you are crazy doing the back to back. Hope I get to meet you!!!

Sally

2009-04-20 11:18 PM

User image

They'll charge you at the gate for camping.   They should have the $$ on the website.

As for camping, drive in, find an open spot, park and pitch the tent.  Don't be shy, and don't look for an "official" spot.  You'll be abnle to pitch your tent wherever your friends are

Edited by ChrisM 2009-04-20 11:19 PM
2009-04-22 1:13 AM

User image

Expert
Northern CA
My camping pass arrived in the mail today!

2009-04-23 6:24 PM

I'm in babeeee. Only my 2nd tri ever so the experience will be completely new. Coming Thursday with kids, wife and friends coming Friday. Could not be more excited.

I'm actually more excited that it's time to TAPER!!! No more ridiculously grueling rides (until race day).

Hope to meet some of you there.

Todd - San Diego
2009-04-24 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Is it too late to buy a parking pass online? I didn't buy one with my registration because I wasn't sure at the time whether or not it would be my car that I would be carpooling in. I guess now I have to buy one at the gate?

Thanks,
Mike

2009-04-24 2:22 PM

User image

I emailed today. You will need to get a pass the day you go. Per my email about friends arriving saturday morning:

They will have to pay for the pass at the gate at this late date – they need to be in the park before the roads close – plan to be there at 7am – there will be a line to get into the park.  Once the race starts the buses in the park will not be able to shuttle them to the race start.  They will be in overflow camping coming in then.  The gate goes 24 hours the week before the race – so they can come in as early as they like – get set up, etc before they catch a bus to the start line.  Those buses to shuttle them back to the camp ground will start to run again at approx. 3 pm .  Wear hats, sun screen, etc.  The weather is suppose to be 74  on Sat – so should not be terribly hot.
2009-04-24 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2098839

Yes, You just need to pitch a tent the first good place you see. The first year we were 1/2 on the rode. I have doen it with my kids also, hubby came a day late, and I am not sure the ages of your kids but one thing is when you go down to the event to check things out plan to be there for awhile. It is a big hill to get up and down with kids!
2009-04-24 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2108510

User image

Modesto, California

Ballyb3 - 2009-04-24 12:22 PM I emailed today. You will need to get a pass the day you go. Per my email about friends arriving saturday morning:

They will have to pay for the pass at the gate at this late date – they need to be in the park before the roads close – plan to be there at 7am – there will be a line to get into the park.  Once the race starts the buses in the park will not be able to shuttle them to the race start.  They will be in overflow camping coming in then.  The gate goes 24 hours the week before the race – so they can come in as early as they like – get set up, etc before they catch a bus to the start line.  Those buses to shuttle them back to the camp ground will start to run again at approx. 3 pm .  Wear hats, sun screen, etc.  The weather is suppose to be 74  on Sat – so should not be terribly hot.

You can still get in as the race is going on, it takes a while though.

2009-04-30 1:28 AM

User image

Expert
Northern CA
Okay, the weather forecast for Bradley is driving me crazy. First it was going to be hot, so I went out and bought shorts. Now it says it's going to rain and be cold.

Does anyone know what the chances of rain are in the park compared to wherever the Bradley weather station is?

I've already been told the temps tend to be 5-10 higher than the forecast. I'm crossing my fingers that it's less likely to rain as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2