of 10

2010-08-30 10:03 AM
in reply to: #2089847

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Paleo Diet for Athletes - review

Decided to give this a try, seeing as how many people have had such a good experience with it.

It's my first day.

I'm struggling.

Tired.  Hungry.  No, HUNGRY.  No focus or motivation.  Oh, did I mention I was HUNGRY??  Probably doesn't help that this also causes my caffeine intake to go down, as I'm drinking tea instead of my usual Diet Pepsi.

I prepped food most of the day yesterday to last a week... at this rate, the food won't last through Wednesday.  Until then, I'm just hangin' on... it's going to get better, right??

2010-08-30 4:53 PM

Spring, Texas

I just got the book last week and started reading it.   From what it sounds, the first few weeks are painful.  I haven't gone cold turkey, but the difficult part appears to be adjusting to the diet while continuing your training. 

For me, I started something simliar for the last two weeks, I did high protein low carbs but did not cut out the dairy and I lost 5 pounds.  That's after not losing anything after 8 weeks.  Realized my carb intake was way too high, but my calorie intake was low (not too low).

Anyway, I'm taking this week off (and going hunting with friends) so not a good time to commit yet.  But, from my partial attempt so far, it's very promising. 

Send an update after a week and let us know how you're doing. 

Jellyroll

2010-09-03 6:34 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

So... checking back in here. Y'all will be happy to know that I didn't end up chewing my arms to nubs. Hee.

I'm 5 days into this and things have basically settled back to normal.  The wild hunger and cravings have mostly subsided and I'm feeling much more even-keeled than I did the first few days.  I've been 100% Paleo so far.

That said, I'm feeling just as good as I did before.  None of The Awesome that I'm supposed to be feeling like.  I've dropped just a touch of weight, but not not enough to be meaningful.

I'm going to give this a little more time, but unless I start feeling drastically better than I did before, I think I'm going to add normal breakfast foods back into the diet -- oatmeal and greek yogurt.  Still keep the processed crap out, and eat mostly Paleo the rest of the day.  The benefits for me would be two-fold:  a big reduction in food prep time on the weekend and a smaller breakfast that actually feels more substantial and would fill me up more.

Thoughts? If I wait this out for another few weeks, am I going to notice more appreciable changes?

2010-09-03 9:10 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
For the folks giving this a shot, give it some time.  Don't expect miracles and don't be surprised if it's rough going for the first few weeks.

I've been eating this way for almost two years now.  Not exactly according to the book, but very close.  I feel so much better when I'm eating my normal "paleo" diet.  When I travel and have little choice but to deviate or I cheat, I feel it right away and it's not pleasant. 
2010-09-12 8:14 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Just checking in again...

It's been about 2 weeks now.  I'm feeling normal -- both hunger-wise and energy levels -- but not any better than I did before I started this.  I supplement longer workouts with gels/gatorade type stuff, but otherwise am eating pretty clean.  I've had one cheat day, and while the food felt really heavy in my stomach, I didn't feel all too badly afterwards (it wasn't awful... just bread/cheese and pasta).

I haven't really lost but a pound or two, and measurements are only marginally better... but it's only been two weeks, I suppose.  I had expected more, I guess.

The diet has become routine to a certain extent, but you know what I'm missing most?  Not grains or dairy or anything specifically, but I'm missing the convenience of how I used to eat.  Dinner is probably the hardest -- by the time I get home, I've likely been away for 14-15 hours, I'm ready to eat and I want it NOW.  I'm sick of meat and vegetables and fruit.  I want something easy, like a microwave burrito or to quickly boil up some pasta.

Any ideas to make things easier?  I already grill up stuff beforehand and have fruit/vegetables portioned out ... and that makes breakfast and lunch easy.  But for dinner I seem to have little appetite for the same thing that I've been eating all day.  It just seems like my food options are so limited since this diet cuts out so many things.

2010-09-13 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2617612

User image

Regular
Jupiter, FL
KathyG - 2010-01-16 6:14 PM I started a strict Paleo challenge at my Crossfit gym today for 12 weeks.

I had been eating Primal since Sept but now I need to give up dark chocolate, gum, diet Pepsi and dairy.

Doing a challenge with folks I see a few times a week will be highly motivating. We get points for eating, for training and other measurements.

I've done a PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) in the past (lost 50+ lbs in 5 months) so I am very familiar with low-carb lifestyle, but after regaining 15 lbs in the past year since ending that diet, I need to find something a little more sustainable (and enjoyable) rather than jumping back to that diet (specifically Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss - RFL).  After reading all of the posts in this thread, you are really the only person to mention Primal (I assume you mean Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint?).  Can you give a quick rundown of the differences since you seem to have done both?  I was about to pull the trigger on PB then ran across this thread about Paleo for Athletes.

Edited by scottuf 2010-09-13 2:24 PM

2010-10-18 7:13 PM

User image

Hi all

I just started this diet and I'm wondering if there are people who have to travel alot that can give tips on what you eat while traveling.  This may be a repeat, but I didn't have time to read through all of the posts. 

The book talks about some ways to eat right while eating out, but they say it isn't ideal.  I eat out 70% of the time because I travel for work.  One can only eat so many salads. 
2010-10-19 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3095927

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
scottuf - 2010-09-13 2:23 PM  Can you give a quick rundown of the differences since you seem to have done both?  

would a venn diagram be helpful?

source = http://huntgatherlove.com/content/paleo-vs-primal-vs-atkins

Edited by Noz 2010-10-19 9:00 AM
2010-10-19 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3159896

User image

Regular
Jupiter, FL
Noz - 2010-10-19 9:59 AM
scottuf - 2010-09-13 2:23 PM  Can you give a quick rundown of the differences since you seem to have done both?  

would a venn diagram be helpful?

source = http://huntgatherlove.com/content/paleo-vs-primal-vs-atkins

yes, that's helpful.  I've been following PB mostly, and it's been much easier than I originally thought.  Been eating new veggies I never would have tried in the past (sketti squash a new fav) and have lost 15 lbs of fat in the last 2 months !

Edited by scottuf 2010-10-19 9:06 AM
2010-10-19 12:32 PM
in reply to: #3159168

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

jenniferrichmond - 2010-10-18 7:13 PM Hi all

I just started this diet and I'm wondering if there are people who have to travel alot that can give tips on what you eat while traveling.  This may be a repeat, but I didn't have time to read through all of the posts. 

The book talks about some ways to eat right while eating out, but they say it isn't ideal.  I eat out 70% of the time because I travel for work.  One can only eat so many salads. 

I did Paleo for a month, and had a week where I was traveling.  Breakfast was mostly fruit and eggs of some sort.  I did Panera salads for lunch, almost every day (and yes, I was SO SICK of salads by the end of the week).  For dinner whenever I could, I tried to hit up a Chili's/Applebee's/steakhouse kind of place and get just a cut of meat and vegetable sides.

I tried to keep snacks onhand when possible -- almonds and bananas were portable, so that's what I had.

Definitely more difficult out on the road -- takes planning and forethought to end up someplace where you have a few choices of what you can eat.  Good luck!

2010-10-19 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3160517

User image

Thanks Laura.  Found myself in LAX tonight with a delayed flight and not alot of good choices so settled for the split pea soup from California pizza kitchen.  Not the most ideal choice, but the only other options were salads with either fried chicken or chicken slathered in bbq sauce or pizza.  Figured if I just choose the lesser of the evils it will be better!

2010-10-21 1:41 PM

User image

Jennifer - I am literally in my second day of easing into Paleo - and I say easing in because the first day I was traveling. I thought breakfast would be the hardest, and luckily I found the odwalla drinks at the starbucks in the airport - amazing! Combine that with whatever else can be scraped up - usually soup or whole fruit or nuts and you can have a decent meal in any airport - which I needed later on my return trip when the only option was Johnny Rockets....

Odwalla is pricey, but when the company is paying...ok!
2010-12-21 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
I love the Paleo diet. But sometimes I love a good donut in the morning with my coffee.
2010-12-22 6:54 AM
in reply to: #3256041

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
ecpasos - 2010-12-21 10:09 AM I love the Paleo diet. But sometimes I love a good donut in the morning with my coffee.

That's why the Primal Blueprint stresses the importance of the 80/20 principle. No diet NEEDS to be followed 100% (unless you have health issues like celiac). You should allow room for your favorite non-paleo foods 10-20% of the time to create a healthy, lifelong relationship to food. I don't believe in suffering for the sake of calling myself paleo. I believe in the happiness of enjoying good, healthy food and indulging in tasty junk when I decide to.
2011-01-15 10:01 PM

User image

Veteran
I eat paleo, but "cheat" by having potatoes/yams usually in the meal after my workout.  Do any of you guys do that? 
2011-01-16 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3302216

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
charmander - 2011-01-15 10:01 PM I eat paleo, but "cheat" by having potatoes/yams usually in the meal after my workout.  Do any of you guys do that? 

Yams and sweet potatoes are not cheat foods, just higher in carbs than other paleo stuff. If that's the worst thing you do on the Paleo diet, you are a saint. BTW, there is a product by Jayy Robb called Yammits which is a powdered yam you can put on food or in a smoothie for post-workout if you don't want to cook a yam.

2011-01-16 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3302440

User image

Veteran
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-01-16 8:23 AM
charmander - 2011-01-15 10:01 PM I eat paleo, but "cheat" by having potatoes/yams usually in the meal after my workout.  Do any of you guys do that? 

Yams and sweet potatoes are not cheat foods, just higher in carbs than other paleo stuff. If that's the worst thing you do on the Paleo diet, you are a saint. BTW, there is a product by Jayy Robb called Yammits which is a powdered yam you can put on food or in a smoothie for post-workout if you don't want to cook a yam.
Thanks Jessica for the info.  That's great to know because potatoes/yams are the only way I can eat enough and feel full after post-workout meal.

Yeah, I'm a college student with an unlimited meal plan so I pretty much have access to a variety of fresh fruit, veggies, and grilled meat at all times- really helps with "eating clean".
2011-01-22 9:45 AM

User image

For those of you who are following the Paleo diet, what do you recommend eating for your 300-400 cal/hour intake during your long training runs/saddle time or during an IM???

2011-02-12 12:58 PM

User image

Regular
Mandeville, Louisiana
Bumping this thread!  I've been on my new routine for a solid two weeks now and I feel comfortable going 100% paleo.  I have 10 weeks until my first sprint-Tri.  That should be enough time to get over the 2 week hump and on my way.
2011-02-15 12:07 AM

User image

Veteran
100% paleo for the past month as of 3 days ago!

Unfortunately, I went off into a very dark path of binging on the very fine 85% dark chocolate bars in the care package my mom sent me while studying for a barrage of midterms (I seriously want to cry).  I did fit it within my calorie limits by eating less fruit, but... 400 calories of freaking chocolate x 3 days.  But, nope.. no way to justify it.  Man, do I feel guilty.  

Edited by charmander 2011-02-15 12:08 AM
2011-02-15 4:34 AM

User image

I've been eating paleo for over a year and have since modified it eating some dairy (mostly cheese, chocolate milk after long runs) and whole grain pasta after bricks, 2 hour plus runs etc.  There have been several studies done on the paleo diet and the endurance athlete and the reviews have been mixed.  IMO, with slight alterations it can work for triathletes!

2011-02-17 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3355469

User image

Regular
Mandeville, Louisiana
threesome - 2011-02-15 4:34 AM I've been eating paleo for over a year and have since modified it eating some dairy (mostly cheese, chocolate milk after long runs) and whole grain pasta after bricks, 2 hour plus runs etc.  There have been several studies done on the paleo diet and the endurance athlete and the reviews have been mixed.  IMO, with slight alterations it can work for triathletes!

Well, I'm on my 5th day of Paleo after transitioning into it.  I had an orange and a handful of raw cashews before spinning and I was completely drained after.  I felt like I had a hangover, but the spinning class was good.  I made a nice sweat puddle, haha.  I went home and immediately drank a recovery shake with:
1 scoop Jay Robb Vanilla Powder
1 cup Simply Orange High Pulp
1/2 Medium Banana
4 Large Strawberries
1 tbsp honey

It seemed like the most satisfying and delicious thing I had ever had.  That was done at 6:15 or so and I'm already feeling hungry.  It's 7:44 now and I've been drinking a ton of water, too.
2011-03-15 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

I just started last Saturday and so far, so good!  I even ate out at a restaurant on Sunday night and was able to stay true 100%.  I am giving it a fair shake for six weeks and see if there is any appreciable difference.

2011-05-10 11:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW

Hi all.  I'm on Day 2.  I'm also less than 7 weeks out from Ironman CdA and in the middle of peak training.  I can think of a million better times to start a new eating plan, but I'm desperate.  I've continued to gain weight during training (just as I did with Ironman Arizona back in 2009) and I can't keep on this way.  Especially with doing Arizona again later this year.  Right now I only fit into a couple of my tri shorts and am sloooooow.  So...here I go.

I'm really worried about the 2 week adjustment period with lots of fatigue and generally feeling lowsy.  But maybe that will get lost in the background noise of ironman fatigue?  I'm hoping this has a big payoff a couple months from now.

2011-06-21 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3492736

New user

sarahk - 2011-05-10 11:04 PM

Hi all.  I'm on Day 2.  I'm also less than 7 weeks out from Ironman CdA and in the middle of peak training.  I can think of a million better times to start a new eating plan, but I'm desperate.  I've continued to gain weight during training (just as I did with Ironman Arizona back in 2009) and I can't keep on this way.  Especially with doing Arizona again later this year.  Right now I only fit into a couple of my tri shorts and am sloooooow.  So...here I go.

I'm really worried about the 2 week adjustment period with lots of fatigue and generally feeling lowsy.  But maybe that will get lost in the background noise of ironman fatigue?  I'm hoping this has a big payoff a couple months from now.

Wow! I can't stress enough how bad of an idea it is for you to be doing this right now. I recommend that you stop and focus on CDA and then after CDA start it again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo Diet for Athletes - review Rss Feed  

of 10