General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base Building again Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-15 3:04 PM

Subject: Base Building again
I can't let this go. I have digested tons of literature on this since I last asked about it in this forum, but I still need affirmation. I went this weekend for a trail run, which turned out to be a trail walk and a bike ride, which though slow, was nice and steady and far better than the trail walk. So many people responded last time and had very informative things to say. However, someone please tell me that this humiliating slowness, this UGH walking (instead of opening it up and running fast) is going to pay off. I am going out of my mind. I am about to go on my lunchtime run and I can't stand the idea that I am going to walk the majority of what I normally blaze through. I know, patience patience but this is just so slow and how long? I read 6-8 and 8-12. I have a marathon to run in June and I don't want to lose speed. Again, how long does this last? Has anyone out there experienced this humiliating feeling?

2004-03-15 3:11 PM
in reply to: #12487

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Subject: RE: Base Building again
Im not sure I understand you're able to run but arent because you've made the personal decision to start at square one or you were in shape in the past and have just decided to start exercising again? I dont think anyone could offer good advice without more information. If you had to today how LONG could you run in reference to time not distance.
2004-03-15 3:20 PM

, Alabama

I'm not really sure what you're saying.  Are you referring to using a HR monitor and going slower to keep your HR within an aerobic zone (60-75% max)?  If so, patience is a virtue but might've been better if started a month or so ago.  If not, I don't know what to say.  What do you mean "I read 6-8 and 8-12)?"

Sharon

Edited by snikpos 2004-03-15 3:21 PM
2004-03-15 3:32 PM

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
rf,
I agree .... we need more info.
What training plan are you following for each event? What HRM philosophy (Sally Edwards, Friel, Maffetone, etc.)? Are you training for a marathon and doing a tri for fun? What distance is the tri? When is the tri? You may be working against yourself if the tri is short and trying to train for a marathon, since both would require a different training focus.

I have read that base training should be anywhere from 8-12 weeks.
I am following the advice of a tri coach and The Training Bible, so my "base" training includes a long ("embarassingly slow") endurance run, a tempo run and hill repeats each week. I am a bit confused as to why you are doing another painful, long run today if you did one already over the weekend.....

Can you fill in some of the gaps so we can better help?

2004-03-15 4:05 PM

Expert
Princeton, MN
I know exactly what you mean.I have been following Mark Allens recommendations as printed in a recent Triathlete magazine for about the last 6 weeks and sometimes it gets really boring.
But I figure he knows what he is talking about so I'll stick with it
2004-03-15 5:36 PM

Ok, yeah sorry. Look I am a newbie at this and wrote that posting out of the frustration I experienced at the weekend. I just recently stumbled upon this subject in an article written by Allen (so this would be Maffetone's method) regarding building a base and from what I read it sounds like a great place to start training. Initially I am attempting to follow it in order to rebuild myself for an upcoming ultra and marathon. I know it is kind of late, but better late than never. I have been running for years and have completed five marathons but I want to improve my time and my overall endurance and mileage while bringing my heart rate down so that I stop running 8 minute miles at 168-171 and start running them at 145/150. I have never followed a strict training regimen before, I just ran and ran and ran and figured this would sort me out. Only in the last month did I start reading on the benefits of training and have started to digest this knowledge. There is a lot out there and I have decided to begin with Allen's article and what was in there. So I calculated my maximal base heart rate (I believe this is the right vocabulary).

So in response to soupaman: I am in shape, just putting myself back at square one to build my base.

Sharon: That is exactly what I mean. HR training and keeping myself aerobic. I left off the word ‘weeks’ when I wrote 6-8 or 8-12 as in the amount of time one should use in this base building phase.

LJSChicago: Marathon. That is my focus right now. One in June. Once that is under my belt, I will start learning to be a triathlete. I didn’t go on a long painful run today, just a comfortable 6 miles at lunch. The trail walk I did this past Saturday, wasn’t painful just molasses slow. I do this most days of the week I ran – uh, ok jog, and by that I mean jog with a large emphasis on walking. I kept it between 140- 150 just to experiment with running at my new target. Should I not do this? The run that is? See, I have never followed a training schedule – never had a coach – wouldn’t know where to begin. I just run 6 days a week. Road or Mtn. Cycle in the mornings or weekends. There is no real method here as prior to this last month or so I only did activities for fun but never with a goal in mind – such as race specific training.

lincsguyus: That is exactly what I am doing. Read an article, I think Sharon above posted a link to it before. I think. I have read several of Allen’s articles from various sources now and looked up Maffetone on the Internet. How has it worked for you so far? Are you steadily improving?

My problem, and this is for everyone, is that I am starting over based on what I have read and there is no real place for me to test what I have read other than on myself. I am not sure if this is THE THING TO DO, or just a faddish way to train. I am new to all of this and my idea to endurance training before reading Allen’s articles was simply the more you endure the better at enduring you become. Run harder, run faster. I am just curious is Allen’s – Maffetone’s method works, or has worked for any of you? I am looking for a testimonial and, if you care to, and training tips. I want to know that I am on the right track so that I don’t waste all this time running slow when I could just go back to running harder running faster. I guess I want to hear it from the source, the source being you guys:

Does base training pay off?
How counterproductive is it if during my training I exceed the base heart rate zone?
What is the recommendation, 6-8 weeks, or 8-12 weeks.
During the base training period, may I enter any races or must I keep the heart rate at a steady 150 no matter what I do?
I read that I shouldn’t do any weight lifting, does this mean core training with weights is off limits?

Does this clarify things at all?

2004-03-15 5:55 PM
in reply to: #12520

Expert
Princeton, MN
How has it worked for me? If I look at my running (walk/run actually) times I have dropped 10-20 seconds off each run in the last week. The biking also seems to show an improvement. So I guess that would make it a sucess. I also do "feel" better after each session.

Ian
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base Building again Rss Feed