General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike, converted hybrid, or neither? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-06 7:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Subject: Road bike, converted hybrid, or neither?
I have started getting more into my bike training now that the weather is nice and I got reamed by Bear and others about not riding long enough. Now I have a bike question:

I bought a hybrid for getting around town last year before I started training. It's a 2003 Fuji Supreme:
http://www.fujibikes.com/comfort/bike.asp?category_short_name=comfo...

I am going to be getting my tax refund in a little bit, which as a student is my only windfall/big purchase money of the year. I was considering either buying a used road bike (can I get a decent one under 600 dollars?) or converting my hybrid by putting on high pressure slicks and clamp on aerobars, and clipless pedals-hope I have the terms right?

So what do people think either way? or should I just keep my current bike setup like it is and tri with that?

Disadvantages of my current bike: comfort on longer rides, no hamstring action with reg pedals, nobbier tires (though not mtb tires)

I know it all comes down to a personal decision, but I have no idea if i can get a decent used bike for this amount of cash, if it would even make a difference to set up my bike like this.

One added reason not to convert to thinner slick tires would be that I ride my bike to school and though the bike paths I train on are smooth, the roads are not always so smooth. Also, I kind of like the upright position for visibility reason when cutting through traffic.

Edited by lablover 2005-04-06 7:02 PM

2005-04-06 8:03 PM
in reply to: #139067

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Road bike, converted hybrid, or neither?
I liked what Mark Allen said in the latest BT article, "The Top Six Beginner Questions". Question #1 was "What bike should I ride" and his answer was that the first step is to determine how much you're willing to spend. You can definitely get a decent used road bike for less than $600. But you will probably still want to upgrade it if it doesn't already have clipless pedals or other components, as well as getting road shoes, etc., so you'll need to budget accordingly.

Looks like you're heading for your first Sprint later this year. I, as many others here, did my first Sprint on a hybrid, and it wasn't even "tricked out" at that point. I also did a metric century on that bad boy a few years ago.

If you want to keep the expenses low, you will probably save money if you just upgrade your current rig. In addition to the items you mentioned (although I'm not sure about aerobars), I would also consider changing the seat post from a suspension one to a solid one. You can also adjust the angle of your handlebars down for a more efficient position. You might get more power and at least a different hand position out of having bar-ends also. Also make sure the seat height, fore/aft, and angle are as good as they can be. The single biggest gain I got out of my old hybrid was adding clipless pedals and road shoes. It really makes a big difference. And when you DO get a road bike, you can transfer them over and put your old pedals back on your hybrid. As far as tires to, you can probably find a compromise somewhere in between "slick" and MTB-like, although you can only go so narrow with hybrid rims so you may not need to worry about it.

As far as a new/used bike, I've seen BTers use eBay and preownedbikes.com. Also check out Craigslist.org, bikesdirect.com, http://www.totalbike.com/classifieds/category/roadbike/,http://www.bicycleblowout.com/RoadBikes.htm, and local club or classified listings.

Good luck and post pictures either way you go.

Mike
2005-04-07 10:59 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

If I were in your situation, I would

1. Put 700x20 or 23 kevlar beaded racing tires in (check Nashbar.com for deals) Don't spend more than $35 or so each on the tires and try to find tires under 250 grams or so
  2. Clipless pedals and shoes will set you back $150 or so if you can grab one of the Preformance or Nashbar combo deals
  3. (optional)I think you could benefit from higher gearing, a 48X13 is pretty low for a top gear, a new 7 speed cassette with an 11 or 12 tooth high gear will probably set you back $35-40 (figure pulled from thin air)
    • Alternatively, you could put on a 50 or larger big chain ring, but I think the cost will be the same.
  4. Race

The tires and pedal/shoes can be transferred to any new bike you get once you decide that triathlon is something you want to stick with, the cassette is a tosser. I am not sure you can/should put aerobars on a riser bar.

2005-04-07 11:06 AM

Master
Shreveport, LA
You can get a used road bike for anywhere from $200-$600 on ebay or in the papers. Being on college campus, you might be able wanting to sell one for a good price. College students seem to do that sort of thing.

I bought my Raleigh 500 on Ebay for $175. Aluminum frame, Tiagra components, STI, etc.

My friend just bought a Schwinn on Ebay for $250 with Ultegra Derailluers, Tiagra everything else, brand new rims, tires, and brand new STI shifters.

So you can find a good deal, it just takes time to look around.

I would look around at your LBS, they may offer some kind of student discount or something, plus you will be able to try the bikes to make sure you are getting a good fit.
2005-04-07 11:14 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Got to agree with the "fix-it-up-and-ride" recommendations. Take the balance of your refund and start a separate bank savings account titled "New Bike Fund" and start contributing any "extra" money. Perhaps you could deposit $1 for every mile you ride. Then, at the end of the season, when all the shops are having inventory liquidation sales, you can get a really good deal.

In the meantime, do your research and determine which bikes will best meet your needs. A season of riding and racing will give you a good idea of what those needs are.

And of course, you have to "Ride Lots!"

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike, converted hybrid, or neither? Rss Feed