General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is 40-30-30? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-15 10:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Subject: What is 40-30-30?
Okay, being that I am a chemist and an hobby orchidist, I would interpret this as a fertilizer ratio (rather strong for most anything, but an N-P-K ratio, none the less). My ex-BIL was cheering me on for completing Athens, yet again this year (in slightly better time, too!!) and was making some noise about celebrating with dinner. Then he said "don't tell me you're eating the exact proportions of 40-30-30 now that you're hitting the triathlon trail!" What the (*&#$? :-O? So I emailed him back, asking about what this porportion nonsense was, as I had received a nutrition bar in my race goody bag with these numbers emblazened on the wrapper. What gives? Any knowledge, input or general musings and ramblings would be welcomed. Oh, BTW, I went to a trainer about my ITBS (all the fellow sufferers out there, I will share anything new I learn!). It would not give me a break on the run. At one point, I thought my knee might buckle, so I stopped to stretch yet again (in a 5K, even). I decided against medical attention, as that seems to always end in extra medications, a cast and/or no real information. :-( Thanks for cheering me on, enlightening me and entertaining me! I look forward to reading your input!
Vanessa

2004-03-16 12:19 AM
in reply to: #12556

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: What is 40-30-30?
40-30-30 is a recomended proportion for many athletes. It is 40% Carbs, 30% Protien and 30% fat. I don't count my food take to close, but I think I end up pretty close.
2004-03-16 8:49 AM
in reply to: #12556

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Subject: RE: What is 40-30-30?
40% Calories From Carbs 30% from Protein and 30% from fat. Its the staple of the Zone Diet that I've been using since January 04'. Im guessing they probably gave you a Balance Bar or Zone bar or something of that nature.

As far as the training goes I've been using the Zone Diet the entire time NO 'Carbo Loading' and to date have had no problems with energy or strength however I've not been doing the training of the more elite athletes so your guess is as good as mine as to whether or not the diet can hold up to strenuous activity. Although on average I train about an hour a day or more. I've often wondered if I switched to a low fat high carb diet how it would affect my performance.

As a side not I have lost 30 lbs. on the Zone diet.
2004-03-16 11:56 AM
in reply to: #12603

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is 40-30-30? Rss Feed