General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Total Time = 1h 12m 47s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 17/47
Pre-race routine:

Head cold was terrible at wake up...4:30 AM. Coffee, 1 egg, and toast. Pre-packed the car, so I gathered up a few items and headed out about 5:15 AM.
Event warmup:

No warm up. I did a quick 200 yard swim in the lake, but that actually made me cold!
Swim
  • 12m 29s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well...it was a shock to the system. I got tangled up with a few people then got whacked in the head which gave me a little panic attack. I got my act together, but really started BOP. I was able to start picking people off after the first buoy until the end. I was surprised that I still finished FOP at 12th in my AG. I know I left at least 1 minute or more out there.
What would you do differently?:

I sighted much much much better than all races up to date. I think the only thing different is getting use to the full contact aspect of the start. I need to work on speed to get out of the bar fight quicker or start wider and accept it will be a longer swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Everything went smoothly. I ran to my bike faster and did not take any time to walk. Shoes on, helmet on, off we go. Quick jump on the bike and hammer time. Not wearing a wet suite paid off as I had the 6th fastest T1 in my AG which is a joke.

Need to start practicing the right way to transition with the shoes already on the bike. Given the time and looking at others, it seems I can get 20 more seconds off this time. The shoes pre-mounted on the pedals is the key.
Bike
  • 32m 33s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 20.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Very happy with this ride. I was in control the whole time. I played tag with two other people and got past both in the last two miles. Since Chris and I rode the course, I knew to hammer in the first 5 miles which paid off. I backed off a little on the rollers between 5 - 7, then rode hard but not over the top to the park.

Drink more. Given the limited number bike miles I was happy with the result. So, I did the best I could in the race, but would liked to have had a little more endurance.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Nailed this one. Only 14 people got out faster in my AG! Given my starting point and no transition practice, I am very happy with it.

I got my feet out of the shoes before the transition line, which made this a faster result than in the past. I ran with the bike to the rack, got the shoes on (no socks), had my hat loaded with everything so I just grabbed it ran. I put the hat and number belt on while I was running. Again, better than past years.

Just move faster. Otherwise, I think I did it just right.
Run
  • 25m 18s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Ah, the limiter - the run. I could feel my hamies were on the edge at the start. I had to do my race and not chase people. It took two miles to settle down. I ran the last mile much faster and sprinted the last .5. I just about set a PR in 5K (no comments from the peanut gallery).

As I was coming down the hill towards the dam, I heard a voice behind me say "not today". Since I was alone, it did not register with me until I saw his AG. Game on. I picked it up and caught him at the bottom of the dam. As I ran past him, I said "not today" and sprint harder for the line. Thank god I held it. I would have felt stupid had he pasted me again!

I had some calf and hamie issues this month, so there was not much I could have done. If I would have gone harder at the start, I would have locked up and killed the race completely. So, I will say, nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with my new Dynamo team mates, Chris, my buddy Scott and some BTers. I love spending time at races being social. It really makes the day. Also, I stopped by the 1st Choice Health Care tent and got an ART treatment on the calves and hamies. Nick is a good man and does his trade well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Biggest limiter was being sick. My head cold had to have effected me some. Also, my shape at this time is not perfect. This was not a peak event, so I will just take the pluses and minuses and move on.

Event comments:

Tri The Park has these races down. It was great.

Last updated: 2008-12-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:29 | 656 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/47
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:25
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:33 | 11.2 miles | 20.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/47
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:18 | 03.1 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/47
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-26 7:02 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

2009-04-26 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2110709

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

Hold the presses!  My total time did not make the total of the individual split times.  I should have gotten a 1:12:49 v 1:14:50 used to rank the AG.  So, I sent a message to the RD to ask for the review.  I know, I know...it is only two minutes and move up of two places, but I reaned those two minutes...LOL  Stay tuned...

2009-04-26 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Weird - When I add my time in my head, I'm a minute and a half off as well..Possible times are mixed up across the board?

In any case, you looked really strong out there - Just getting better in every aspect and PCOly will be a real test. I predict you're going to light it up...

Let's ride that course...

c
2009-04-26 10:36 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Good race!  I'm glad you held that guy off at the end!

2009-04-26 6:04 PM

User image

Atlanta
Good race. Congrats on the time. FWIW, I timed myself and my time and the clock time were pretty much dead on. See you at PTC
2009-04-26 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey! Looks like you did better than you even thought! Im glad to hear Im not the only one who has lost my spot in transition! That cracked me up in your report about the guy who said "not today." Its funny how competitive most people (okay, me too) get!

I looked for the tent where Bters were supposed to meet but didn't see it. Where was it?

With my breathing I gauge my level of exertion by how many footstrikes correspond with each breath. I think I got the whole thing originally from Jack Daniels who advises, for example, a 2-3 or 3-3 pattern for a longer run  and  a 2-2 pattern (ex breathing out for two footstrikes, in for two footstrikes) anything else, like a 1-2 means the pace is unsustainable for longer distances.

2009-04-26 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
That kind of time with a head cold? You're a beast!!! Great job!

Dude, practice bike mounting with the shoes already on. If I can do it, you can do it. It's worth it!

And a very nice job holding off the other Age Grouper at the finish. I was there to witness it and you looked awesome. Those are the little things this great sport brings out in us.

2009-04-27 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
I can not believe that guy actually said aloud "not today". Great job holding him off! Smoking bike, BTW.

All of that with a head cold. Well done!!!
2009-04-27 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
Nice race.  Glad you held off the "not today" guy!  i guess he was talking to himself.
2009-04-27 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2112391

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA

Good job James.  My Garmin times did not match the offical results either.  I have had that happen once before.  I am interested in whether or not you get a reply.

2009-04-27 10:57 AM

User image

Atlanta, GA

Congratulations on a great race!  Hopefully that 2 minute time difference in your finish time isn't from a penalty.  It looks like you had a strong race. Nice job beating that guy to the finish. It's amazing how you find energy that you didn't know you had. The mind is a powerful thing.

I'm still debating on whether to start with my bike shoes clipped in to start the bike. Last time I tried that in practice, one of the shoes came off when I was running with my bike.  Probably attaching them with rubber bands to keep them from scraping the ground is the best thing to do.  I may try that at my next race.

2009-04-27 12:59 PM

User image

Master

Great race, especially with your cold.

I love the "not today" guy -   Way to take him out!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed