General Discussion Race Reports! » Regina Police Service Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Regina Police Service Half-Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada
Regina Police Service
4C / 39F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 02m 48s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Usual routine, coffee, toast, peanut butter...no nutela or cottage cheese...We were out.

Got dressed, drove to site, had to turn around and get Garmin, then had to get through detour, no stress, all good.

Talked to some people, friends, did a pretty good warmup and was ready to go.

Went to the bathroom several times. No issues.
Felt Good, ready

Had a Hammer bar, 20 minutes before run with some water.
Event warmup:

Did some machs and some running. listened to some music. did some focus work. Thought about what I had to do do.

Very confident. Happy that the weather was good. A little windy, but not a concern. Decided to not wear usual jacket and went with one shirt and one tight undershirt.
Run
  • 2h 02m 48s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 49s  min/km
Comments:

This was the hardest thing I've ever done.... :(

I planned to run 1:50 - or at least under 1:57, my personal best.
I knew what I had to do. I had to run a 5:21 for the majority of the race and not do much walking.
I was ready and confident.

I didn't factor in that I lay on my bathroom floor on Wednesday night with flu-sweats wishing that it would just take me...I also underestimated the fact that I didn't eat for about 28 hours during this period and then didn't eat training food after that.

So. First 9-10 went great...Okay, maybe a little fast...but I was on a 5:20 pace. Did 10K in around 55min...It was going great.
Then it all went to hell. My legs started to hurt and my pace started slowing down.
I just couldn't get out of second gear. I started getting passed by everyone...I didn't get discouraged though, I just tried to keep it going.

I really struggled at 14. Took a small walk break at the water station (15 seconds). I ended up needing three of those. I stopped for water 4 times and gatorade once (last 3 k). I had a flask with me and had Hammer gel on board...helped a little but stopped working after 16k.
At 17K it became not pleasant. I struggled to keep a 6 minute pace (KM) but I persevered. There was some wind there and that didn't help.

Spent a good long time here wondering why I even do this sport and almost convinced myself to pack it in. But I kicked it into third gear here...

Picked up my pace, increased my cadence and started to anticipate more pain. with 1.5k to go, all systems were screaming for a break, I increase I pinned my pace to about 5:50 and just turned off my brain.

The last 500 m I did at about a 5:20, and it hurt. I had no kick left in me. But I was on automatic.

Crap....

Disappointed...but done...It wore me out!

I beat my demons. That is my best accomplishment.
What would you do differently?:

Not get the flu.
Start a little slower and damn the pace.
(I can't do negative splits...I've tried...Once I start slowish, I have trouble speeding up)
Do more miles.
Have more protein for breakfast.

Post race
Warm down:

Hung around talked to friends..had a really crappy, grease laden breakfast.
Didn't stretch till later.
Walked 1k to second born's synchro competition where I saw her win Gold!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Flu effects must have still been in my system
Nutrition and hydration deficit
Over estimation of my abilities and level of training.

Event comments:

I had a good race. Gotta stop beating myself up.
I raced with myself. Didn't get the glory I wanted but looked deep inside and was surprised at what was in there.
It is only April. This was a great learning, humbling experience.
I've come a long way from my first 2:40 half!

Last updated: 2009-04-23 12:00 AM
Running
02:02:48 | 21.1 kms | 05m 49s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Unofficial. Three loops. Two around one lake and one around the smaller lake. basically three 7k chunks, give or take. HR was good. Ran highish, for a good chunk of the run (150-156) but I had trained for that.
Course: Usual RPS course. Pretty flat...some rises. A couple of stretches of big wind - ironically before the rises. Not a hard course, I've trained on this.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2 lbs
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-26 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: Regina Police Service Half-Marathon

2009-04-27 7:11 AM
in reply to: #2111458

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-27 10:13 AM

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Regina Police Service Half-Marathon
Congratulations on beating the demons! If you can do 2:02 in that weakened state, imagine what will the next race show. I can see that in everything you do, you strive for the personal best. This is uplifting for the rest of us and depressing at the same time knowing we would have to go through similar pain to beat you... What the hell, enjoy the glory, we'll be always there to cheer you on!
2009-05-03 1:14 PM

Regular
Winnipeg

All hail your glory!  By now you know there is never a perfect race and you made it through the pain!  Thats all that matters, ya finish what ya start!  Leave perfection to the pros and enjoy the pain.  Most humans will never attempt what you just completed.

2009-05-03 2:09 PM

Master
Port Moody, BC

Overall, I'd call it a success! Looked really good considering the whole flu / sweats / bathroom floor incident. Contrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Regina Police Service Half-Marathon Rss Feed