Tri the Parks Triathlon Race Series
50sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 12s
Overall Rank = /500
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 26/52
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 5AM and took a shower. My stomach was still super queasy. I had been praying to the toilet god past 1AM.

After a hot shower, I felt a little better and thought I'd be ok for the race.

Packed up the car, and left. I kept going over, in my head, things that I needed. I have everything! Yay!

35 minutes into the trip out to JT Park, I looked at the speedometer and then realized, "OH NO, I FORGOT MY GARMIN!" Since I bought that thing for Christmas, I use it for almost every run and bike. Instead, it sat on the dock/charger for the entire day. If I would have had just 10 more minutes, I would have turned around to go get it. Bah.

One last note...I'm not going to complain about being sick. It happened, it affected my race, and that's it. Hopefully, it doesn't happen again.
Event warmup:

Ran a SLOW 1 Mile, then jumped in the beach area of the lake for about 10 minutes getting used to the cool water. I kept saying to myself, "this isn't going to be that bad. Just concentrate and you'll be ok." Stomach kept gurgling/rumbling. It didn't like the cool water.

Great.
Swim
  • 15m 12s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

Feeling queasy at this point. I ducked my head under water several times to try to get that feeling to go away. It didn't.

I positioned myself to the front-left of the pack. Since we were going counter clockwise, I wasn't trying to go out with the "big boys", but I still wanted to be at the front when it was our turn to go.

Since I was in the second wave, I watched the first wave take off. It absolutely surprised me to see most of the first wave barely past the 100m float when the RD was counting down for the second wave to start. How far was the 100m float? It must have been b/c of all the fighting and bumping at first.

GO!

I just started swimming, trying not to concentrate on anything but a clean, even stroke. I never got comfortable. Too bad. I was really looking forward to a strong swim, but it never happened.

At the 100m mark, I got kicked in the face and my goggles came off. Great. I started treading water, blew my goggles out, repositioned them, then went on.

I was sighting great, but too close to the inside. I was behind too many ppl and I never practice going around ppl in pool. I remember thinking that I needed to get on the outside and pass, but I never did.

I tasted bile/puke/something about halfway and thought, "Oh great, I'm going to blow chunks right in the middle of the course and ppl are going to have to swim right through it!"

At that point, I actually stopped and tried to get my stomach to settle down. I couldn't breaststroke...too much bobbing. I just stopped.

I think I was treading water for a minute, but closer to two, when I finally decided that it was time to go. Puke or no puke, I'm going.

The rest of the swim was fine. I started to catch swimmers that had passed me, and when my hand touched bottom. I sprinted out of the water, past a ton of triathletes that were walking!
What would you do differently?:

I was looking for 12 minutes. Um, not today...
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

I sprinted out of the water and passed a bunch of ppl that were WALKING up the lengthy path to T1. Maybe they were walking b/c they actually pushed the swim and didn't stop.

Once I got to my bike rack, my head started spinning and I had to hold on or go down. I watched about 15 ppl run by me as I just stood there.

Finally, the dizziness ended and I ran out.

Maybe I wasn't there that long...not all that sure, but it felt like a long time.

Not get dizzy.
Bike
  • 34m 31s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 19.47 mile/hr
Comments:

I ran out of T1, jumped on my bike, and couldn't clip in. Huh? Slight uphill, but I just couldn't clip in for the life of me. I spent 30 seconds fumbling, but I wasn't the only one. Several others were doing the same. I started to wonder if my balance was off.

Once I finally clipped in, I headed out.I got aero as soon as I could, and started to push it. I ignored my stomach and then decided to sip gatorade. I did and I was ok!

I started to push it started passing ppl. Then, at mile 4, strong female cyclist just blew by me. Then the next one, then the next one. I was going as hard as I could and it was as though I was standing still. Holy cow! They were fast!

Some d00d in compression socks passed me. I then got right on his butt, but far enough out of the draft zone, and passed him back. We played leap frog for the next 2 or 3 miles, until I finally passed him for good.

I have to say he played it fair. Every time I passed him, he'd drop back the required 3 bike lengths. I did the same.

I also played leap frog with a 35 year old female cyclist, but pulled away on a hill.

At the 8 mile mark, I got passed by what seemed like a peloton of riders. It really surprised me that they were flagrantly violating the no draft rules. There were about 10 of them and I was really pissed. I didn't drop back when they passed me, and then we came up on a right hand turn, I passed half of them back...

These guys weren't playing by the rules.

The last mile, I started to push it again and passed a bunch of ppl in the last .20 mile. They were all slowing down and I wasn't. I slammed on the brakes right at the dismount line (almost went over) and then sprinted into T2.

Goal was 33 mins, but considering the circumstances, I was happy with the result.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Fast T2. Top 10 overall, I think.

I ran in, racked my bike, put running shoes on, and took out. I was in and out.

I did slam into the back of a guy that was running out slow. I meant to go around him, but he must have heard me behind and tried to get out of the way. Spacing between racks was minimal, and he kind of went to the same side I tried to pass him on. It was all good, though.

Nothing. I ran in and out, fast. Goal for T1 and T2 was 2 mins. I was right on.
Run
  • 21m 25s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the run and knew I wouldn't be doing squat. I just didn't feel good enough to pump out a good run. I'm glad I was able to keep it under 7 min miles, but I was hoping for low 6s.

Towards the turnaround, I almost stopped. I must have hit a 9min/mile pace for a little, while I recovered.

The last quarter mile, I sprinted it in. If I puke, I puke.

Goal was less than 20 mins. Not happening today.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and looked for my family.

I avoided food at all cost, but then finally nibbled on some cookies and oranges and some HEED.

My family and I then went down to the beach while waiting on awards.

The loudest cheers of the day came for the 88 year old guy coming in. He was last, but probably the most determined to finish. He made me proud to be out there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I hate to make excuses. I didn't feel well enough to race well today. Nothing more, nothing less.

Event comments:

Very good race. I'll do it again next year...

Last updated: 2009-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:12 | 600 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/52
Overall: 0/500
Performance: Below average
Suit: DeSoto Liftfoil Speedsuit
Course: Triangular course, going counter clockwise. Nasty, nasty film on the bottom of the beach, once you waded out waist deep. Water was in the low 70s on the beach, but low to mid 60s out in the middle of the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:34:31 | 11.2 miles | 19.47 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills with a few significant hills. Nothing killer, though. Not many flats.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:25 | 03.1 miles | 06m 55s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Slightly hilly course. Maybe one hill that made your heart really pound.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-27 7:22 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: John Tanner Sprint

2009-04-27 7:35 AM
in reply to: #2112176

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Subject: RE: John Tanner Sprint
Great race, especially considering your stomach issues!

I know I left a couple minutes out on the course for various reasons. I feel the same way about the swim start, soooooo crowded.
2009-04-27 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Nice RR!

With all you had to deal with, I'd say your really speedy run split is a predictor of some podiums in the near future. I think you're gonna be looking for some payback at your next race...

Congrats on your day.
2009-04-29 7:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Great race! Looks like you'll be really fast as soon as you get over being sick!

2009-05-01 12:01 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Tri_d00d,

Congrats on a very gutsy effort (pun intended).  Very impressive to finish the race under those conditions.  I'm not sure if I could've pulled it off.  Good luck in the Revenge Race.

-mm
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » John Tanner Sprint Rss Feed