Kentucky Derby Festival
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 59s
Overall Rank = 1154/9399
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 115/591
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5am. Had a bagel, gatorade and cliff bar. My wife and I met our friends in the hotel lobby and headed down to the shuttle buses to the start line. Once we got there just relaxed in the grass, hit the porta potties and got in line around 7:15 to start. I was in the A group so I was up towards the front
Event warmup:

No real wramup other than some stretching. It was already fairly hot out.
Run
  • 1h 53m 59s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought this was a great course. I had a really good time and ran a fairly good race. I had a head cold which held me back some, as well as the not being used to the heat yet.
What would you do differently?:

Not have a head cold and not stop at mile 2.75 for a 45 second bathroom break. I think if I didn't have a head cold and didn't stop to use the bathroom I could have gone 3-5 minutes faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. I headed back to the hotel to take a quick ice bath and shower and get back out there to follow my wife who was doing the full marathon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Head cold, not being used to the heat and stopping to use the bathroom.

Event comments:

I liked this race a lot and would go back next year. The only thing holding it back from a 5 is that they had Powerade on the course and I didn't think they had it at enough stations to deal with the record breaking heat. Other than that it was a very well run race, everything was on time, great course, they limited it to 12,000 total runners for both the half and full so it wasn't crowded after the first couple of miles. I had a great time.

Last updated: 2009-03-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:59 | 13.1 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 115/591
Overall: 591/9399
Performance: Good
Course: Beautiful course. The first 6 miles had some nice rolling hills through the park and golf course area. Around mile 8 we went into Churchill Downs and ran a half mile through there. The last 4 miles were fairly straight and flat into the downtown finish area. Overall a nice course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes