General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 11s
Overall Rank = 41/473
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/48
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 4:30. Got dressed, made oatmeal and peanut butter and drove to race.
Event warmup:

Vigorously stretched for 15 minutes. Ran 1/2 mile max and then rode for about a mile to check out the gears etc. Swam around 500 yards to get warmed up and get wet suit broken into body.
Swim
  • 09m 48s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got really banged up in the first 200m. Aggressive swimming a beatings. Took a kick to the head. Was boxed in badly at first. Welcome to the 2009 tri season. Once I got to buoy 1, it calmed down and stretched itself out. This made the swim better. Overall, I was much better in swimming the straight lines due to better stroke and bilateral breathing, but my goggles were really fogging up.
What would you do differently?:

Better goggles, maybe come out a little harder to avoid getting boxed in.
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

I had the end of the rack at the bike exit, so this was good as I decided to bag the idea of keeping the shoes on bike. I was concerned about getting out of my wetsuit but the triswim glide made it pretty easy. I did bungle getting on my cycling shoe or this would have been perfect. No real complaints and materially better than last year.

Not much.
Bike
  • 32m 9s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 20.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a flat out terrible bike ride. I rode this course better last year and I didn't push the downhill as hard and rode the uphills poorly. I had some ghost shifting issues but that can't be the excuse. I think I will abandon the tri spokes as I ride faster on my Felt issue semideep dish wheels. BOO ME. I wanted 30 min for this ride.

Pushed harder on downhill, pushed faster on hills, not used tri spokes.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

This was awesome. Probably 1/2 my avg time last year. I attribute 100% of this to running in the Zoot racers that are lightning fast for transitions. I focused so much on this as a priority to fix and it worked. I did get a little too excited and left my Garmin on bike which would impact the run. I smartly opted to not go back and get it.

NADA
Run
  • 20m 49s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Since I left my watch on the bike, I had no way to measure my pace or HR. This was a good thing. I just tried to pass the person in front of me, then pace off and pass the next, etc. In the last .25 mi I found a guy in my AG that I pulled right up and used as the rabbit. When we hit the flat area of the dam (about 100 yd or less), I did a Ricky Bobby slingshot with a big sprint right past him and kept it up until I crossed the finish. It pushed me ahead by 13 seconds.

Nothing. Maybe bring the watch but probably not. This was my best pace in a race by far so I am very excited.
Post race
Warm down:

Vigorous stretching, cheering on fellow TEAM EC team mates, clean up etc.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really except a bad bike. i think I will start doing my longer weekend rides at race sites and just do 4 sets of the races.

Event comments:

As always a great showing by the TTP folks. The shirts are 10x better this year. I had a great start to the season on the run and I have some areas that were illustrated as needs for improvement. A great learning experience along with a PR by almost 3 min over last year.

Last updated: 2009-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:48 | 656 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/48
Overall: 23/473
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Counterclockwise triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:05
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:09 | 11.2 miles | 20.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/48
Overall: 86/473
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: Down slope to about mile 4 then uphill the rest of the way.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:49 | 03.1 miles | 06m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/48
Overall: 52/473
Course: Flat around lake, slightly downhill on gravel road then a few quick pop up and down rollers on a road to the turn around, then reverse it. Flat across dam and finish is uphill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-27 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ATLANTA
Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed