United States
St. Anthony's Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 29m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 134/201
Pre-race routine:

None of this really seems all that important right now, but Terri would have wanted us to soldier on.

Got up at 4:45 dressed and walked to transition. I got out side and the wind was high. I thought well this cannot be good and felt my sub 3 blowing away in the wind. Pumped my tires and was once again the envy of all around me with my air compressor. Set up my area and was waiting for an anouncement RE: wetsuit legal or not. KathyG came in and I helped her get set up. We saw Melissa (TriHardAthena) and we helped her as we milled about waiting for word on the wetsuit thing.

THEN they announce the swim is CANCELED due to inability to keep the buoys in place and the kayaks cannot get into the water because of the chop. Only the pros will be allowed to swim. And get this "The race will be a duathlon. You may take your bike helmet and biking shoes out of transition" We were all like WTF? WHY do we want to run in our bike shoes and helmets? THere was much confusion. Then they announce it will be bike-run only...makes sense at least, and we have to be out of transition by 6:30.

I was very thrown off. I did not have my timing chip and I had to go back to the B&B. My original plan of going back to bed then getting breakfast was in the toilet. If I had been thinking 1/2 straight I would have taken my helemt and glasses back tot he B&B with me. Instead I went back, told Wendi she picked the wrong year not to race, then scarfed some coffee cake, walked back to transition, grabbed my helmet and glasses....now they are annoucing you can stay in transition til 6:45. I was going to sit on the grass but decided to go back to the B&B and sit and wait it out.

Went to what was now the staging area as it is now a time trial start and we have to line up in order by race number. It was actually way less chaotic than it could have been. Sat with Irene, Mike, Tom and Wendi. My mind was spinning. Its hard to change gears after having a plan in your head for so long. How fast to go? How much fluids? Calories? time goals? It was very disorienting. Everyone was really quiet trying to figure it all out.
Event warmup:

walking back and forth to the B&B 3 times.....probably 3 miles walking
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1640 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim canceled due to inability to keep buoys in place and could not get kayaks onto the course. Also due to 2006 fiasco when they did not call the swim and it turned into a PR nightmare. Disappointing. I really wanted to see how much I could improve here after working so hard in masters
What would you do differently?:

Swim
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Time trial start. They kept the same waves and we had toline up by race number. It was actually WAY less of a mess than I thought it would be. Your race started when you ran across the mat into T1. I had my helmet and glasses on. I just ran across the transition area to my primo rack spot, dropped my flip flops grabbed my bike and went. Shoes were on the bike already.

nada
Bike
  • 1h 14m 44s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I ran into transition and threw my flops down and grabbed my bike. I had a primo rack spot about 10 feet from the exit. Hit the bike computer to start it. Ran to the mount line and jumped on. I did not not have my most stellar effort getting my feet in my shoes but it was OK. My bike computer decided it was not going to work. FABULOUS. On top of being thrown by the whole group brick workout now I had no bike computer. It worked FINE on saturday. AARRGGHH. I guess I am fortunate I train by PRE most of the time but I really depend on the bike computer.

The first few hundred yards its cobblestones and bumpy. My podium quest is really on its last legs and I got a nice accelerade bath even tho I was trying to keep my had over it to keep from losing all of it. Turned off the pavement and the Graves clan and my parents were in primo race watching position. Waved to the crew. I felt like I was flying, but once again no bike computer. I cornered well. Fortunately this is my 5th time racing this course so I had an idea of how far I had gone etc. At the 5 mile mark my watch time was 14:something so a tad over 20 MPH pretty good for me.It was quite windy obviously as the swim was canceled due to wind. One good thing about the course is there are so many turns the way the wind affects you is constantly changing.

There were a couple women who were clearly using me as a target. I would pass and they would pass back. One of them was riding in a compeltely b*tchy way and would pass me a block me and slow down. It was totally annoying. She probably blocked me for about 5 miles of the race. It was so strange because everyone in your age group was around you because of the time trial start and it was super congested. I rode as legal/non drafting as I could and still be safe. Honestly what difference did it make if you got a drafting penalty as it was not a race that would count for anything anyway. Some of the crosswinds were dicey on the turns.

At 10 miles I was at 30 minutes and change so I lost a little bit of time. At 15 I was 45 and change, 20 miles 1:00:something. More leap frogging. Thing is the 2 girls who picked me as their rabbit....we were all the same age group but they had lower # than me bay 100 spots or more so I beat them all anyway because I started behind them teeheehee. And I totally outsprinted that TNT b*tch into transition.

I had to pee the whole time. Could not pee on my bike. Probably for the best with a white bike seat anyway. Was trying to figure out new time goals etc and decided if I could go sub 2:30 that would have equated sub 3 hours most likely. Came down the home stretch and saw my folks and the Graves clan again. Waved and smiled pretty. Feet out of shoes, across the cobble stones and into T2.

Have a working bike computer. Even if I had known it was not working I could not have done anything about it. Sensor needed a new battery and I don't carry a spare. I was a few seconds faster than last year but thee was heavy wind this year and none last year. I'm good with it.
Transition 2
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Did I mention I had to pee? Came into transition and ran a little. I REALLY wanted sub 1:15 and just managed to scrape that out. Got to my rack and just sat down to clean my feet off for shoes and socks. I am socks. I need socks. My feet suck and I will blister without socks. Yep I peed sitting in the grass in transition as I changed into my running stuff. Would have been faster if my bladder had not been so full but at least I didn't have to join the yellow socks brigade. 3 hoorahs for black tri shorts!!

Not have to pee so bad.
Run
  • 1h 10m 33s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good coming out of transition. I had a bottle of electrolyte fluids with me. I drank from it for the first mile and threw it off. I did the first mile in 10:30 with a 1 minute walk break It was deceptively cool due to the ocean breeze. Next 1/2 mile was also deceptively cool in some shade. Then you entered the sauna. I was under 22 minutes to mile 2.....good for me. Made it to the turn around in 33 and change and decided to go to a 4:1 run:walk. Saw about everyone who was still on the course. Did well with water and gatorade. Got a little crampy at the 4 mile mark. My feet were sore as was my hamstring but nothing huge. Took my last walk break and ran in the last 1/2 mile or so. Was trying to go sub 2:30. Picked it up to the fastest pace my legs would give me. I had my pink Susan G Komen bracelet on for Terri and as I was trying to pick it up was thinking about her and Christine and almost started crying. I have enough running troubles and its really hard to run while crying. Tried to finish strong for them both. Took a while to catch my breath when I was done.

Even tho that is a crappy time in the grander scheme of running it was a PR on that course for me by 4 minutes so I can't complain. I'm not a runner and thats all there is to it. I work hard at it and do my best thats all I can do.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a cool towel and some fluids and found my family. Collected my stuff and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad genetics and biomechanics. My legs are pretty sore today so I know I gave it a good effort. No regrets

Event comments:

Its a nice race. Shame about the swim. Recent events make it all seem really unimportant. Its a hobby. I do it for fun and fitness. I try best everytime. My best is not typically fast but it doesn't matter in the grander scheme of life. I'm at peace with my slowness and content to try my best everytime.

Last updated: 2008-11-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1640 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/201
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:20
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:14:44 | 24.85 miles | 19.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 62/201
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and about St. Pete.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:10:33 | 06.21 miles | 11m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 171/201
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back thru very nice St. Pete neighborhood
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-27 8:42 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2009-04-27 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2114273

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
Congrats on the PR.  What a crazy day....

Thanks for letting me stay over on Thursday!
2009-04-27 8:53 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Congrats on getting it done Sue!! I love the peeing in the grass part, you girls have it so lucky!

I am sooo sorry to hear about Terri, she was an amazing person and an inspiration to people all over and especially here on BT. Is there anyplace to send a donation to?

2009-04-27 8:55 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA

Nice job with the race!!

2009-04-27 10:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Congrats on the sub-2:30! Nice way to make your revised goal
2009-04-28 6:05 AM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Nice job Sue

2009-04-28 6:13 AM

Uxbridge
Peeing in the grass...what a great idea!!!
Nice PR on the run. Congrats!
2009-04-28 7:10 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
great job on the PR and for sure given what a fish you are you would have been sub 3 and rocked it out.
LMAO at the image of you sitting and peeing in the grass. almost spewed my coffee on that one!

see you at Patriot!
2009-04-28 7:37 AM

User image

I've found a sheet of plastic wrap over the mouth of the aero bottle and then putting the top on works wonders for not getting spit on when running with the bike and if the course is that bumpy. If it's only the beginning, take the plastic wrap off and put it in your pocket after you're over the cobblestone

Great RR! I like commentary based reports a whole lot.
2009-04-28 8:08 AM

User image

Pro
MA
I guess one of the challenge of a race is unexpected happenings. 
Congrats on the PR.  You are still fast by many people's standard. 
I have long decided I don't have to be "good" (it's relative, anyway) at a hobby, as long as I enjoy it. 
Miss you this year.  And say hi to your parents. 
2009-04-28 8:29 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
great job Sue, way to tough it out under less than ideal conditions and situations. Nice PR on the run!!  Peed in the grass, that is classic!!!  Go Sock Go!!!

2009-04-28 8:37 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
OH! Look at that fast bike time!

Sucks about the swim... what can ya do? Leap frogging on the bike is annoying... agreed.

Great job out there!
2009-04-28 9:48 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Congrats on the PR Sue. You would have definitely been sub 3 if we had the swim.
2009-04-28 8:56 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Race changed a lot but you handled it well and PBed the parts you could do

Great bike split and run well we do our best like always....and you did better there too.

You race for the right reasons and keep it all in perspective. That makes you a champion and a great example to many of us.

Glad I was able to race again with you which always makes it better for me.

Congrats Sue!
2009-04-28 9:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan
I love your perspective on things and it helps me a lot to keep it all in check.  We have discussed how hard it can be to accept that maybe we wont be the best at this thing.  That's hard to accept for someone who is always striving to be the best.  I often focus on how slow I am, and am frustrated with how far down in my age group I am.  I feel like the training I did should have carried me farther, but this may be what my body does.  I am slowly learning to accept what my body does and just enjoy the sport for what it is. Thanks for helping me do that.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed