General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » California couch potato just ran his first sprint triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-27 10:22 PM

Subject: California couch potato just ran his first sprint triathlon
Hi Everyone,
I just came across this site today. I ran my first Sprint Triathlon (3.1M run, 10M bike, 150yd swim) yesterday, and I think I am hooked. I have spent all day looking up stuff about triathlons, bought a magazine, visited two different bike shops, and I already picked my next sprint: Tin Man at Cal State San Bernardino.

I was a couch potato up until about 3 weeks ago when my neighbor stopped me as I was pulling in to my drive way. He asked if I would be up for it, and never being one to turn down a challenge I said sure!

I currently own an old pair of running shoes, a mountain bike with road tires on it, and I swam in my basketball shorts. So you can see that I need alot of help with gear. My wife is excited but not enough to let me go on a shopping spree.

I was happy with my time. I did a "mock" trial in my neighborhood using my neighbors swimming pool and it took around 1:40 to finish. Race day my time went down to 1:22.
I hope to break 1hr with gear, training, and help from this site!

Thank you for being here, I have read, and learned alot already. Can't wait to try the mentor program.

--Rafael

2009-04-27 10:45 PM
in reply to: #2114472

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Subject: RE: California couch potato just ran his first sprint triathlon

Congrats!  Was it the tri at Puddingstone? I can't wait to try my first!  When is that Tin Man?

2009-04-27 10:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA
you sound exactly like i did right after my first race.  If it wasn't for this site I honestly wouldn't know most of what I know because my only real life friend who does triathlons is half a country away and is WAY above my skill level.

Absorb all you can from the info you'll find here.  Get as excited as you can about the triathlete magazines, enjoy the experimenting you'll be doing with supplementing gels/powders and the thrill you will get from the build up to your daily bike ride.

My only advice would be to focus on getting your bodies engine going strong before you drop a ton on fancy clothes and expensive bikes.  They don't do anything special unless you're able to push them as hard as they need to be pushed.

Welcome to the community!
2009-04-28 10:06 AM

User image

Congratulations!!!

Gear makes a difference, but it's truly the carpenter more than the tools that make the biggest difference, so to speak. I stold that from Charles Barkley.

Welcome to this site, it's probably the signle best resource for triathlon informtion.

Train hard stay healthy.

2009-04-28 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

Raffa thats awesome!! You'll find this sport is great fun and great people!!

2009-04-28 10:55 AM

Hey Raffa

thats awesome to hear about you doing your first sprint. Congrats. i am hoping to do my at the end of the summer. after i fully recover from my foot injury.

if i could give you a reccommendation, the 2 books that i have found most helpful so far. are The Triathlete's Training Bible and The Cyclist's Training Bible by Joe Friel. I personally bought the cycling one first, as at the time i was a cyclist.

~KittyHawk

2009-04-28 1:17 PM

User image

Expert

Congratulations! You must have done the Possibilities Tri out in Redlands. Keep up the good work!

2009-04-28 1:48 PM

User image

New user

Christiansburg
oh my goodness I can't believe you were ready in 3 weeks!! Ha I've planned my first sprint in october so I have plenty of time to train Its right down the road from my house too so I can zip in for a bathroom break if I need to....anyways, my gear is limited as well, I'll be using my gazillion pound mountain bike with road tires. I'll probably have to use the toe cage pedals cuz shoes are too expensive. Have you found any good deals on gear?
2009-04-30 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey, congratulations, PossAbilities this past Sunday was my first tri experience as well. I'm assuming that's where you were. I hadn't even considered that I would ever do a triathlon until I met a group of women in March who were training for the Iron Girl. I started training in March and NOT a swimmer, but when they said it was only 150 yds I decided to sign up. I figured even I could handle that. What a fun starter tri that was.  BTW, my time was 1:48:05, way back of the pack. You did amazing.

Kathy
2009-04-30 3:09 PM

User image

New user

Edmond, Oklahoma
That's great!  Congratulations!!  It sounds like you've been bitten by the bug.  Check for sales on triathlon gear at the good running or biking stores.  Also, if you ask around work-friends-or family I bet somebody knows somebody that bought a road bike a couple of years ago and it now sits in the garage.  Those are the best deals.  If you get lucky like me....the shoes will even fit. 

Happy Trails!   
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » California couch potato just ran his first sprint triathlon Rss Feed