General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feeling dizzy/lightheaded after my swims. Why? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-30 10:49 AM

User image

Subject: Feeling dizzy/lightheaded after my swims. Why?
I have been training in a local lake for my swim.  I start off with a bit of stretching, a few jumping jacks and running in place to get the heart rate up. 

I'll start off with a slow pace about 200M.  Maybe do that twice.  Then once I start to progress in speed.  And I am talking about just increasing very little.  Maybe around 70% of my max.  After I get done, and walk on up to the platform and get out, I get very lightheaded.  Don't know why. 

Any suggestions as to why?

2009-04-30 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2120827

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: RE: Feeling dizzy/lightheaded after my swims. Why?

I always have that problem when I start back swimming and i have no idea why.  Once I start swimming regularly I don't get dizzy getting out of the pool.  For me it seems like I just need to acclimated to swimming again.

2009-04-30 12:29 PM

User image

Wear ear plugs on one of these swim days and see if that helps. Even the foam ones from Wal-Mart will give you an idea if that'll help.
2009-04-30 7:34 PM

User image

Regular
I experienced this for the first time at my first tri early this month.  It first happened when I was getting out of the water after an open couse pre swim a couple days before the race.  This was also my first open water swim... well ever.  It scared me and I was nervous about it for the race.  I ended up just working my way out of the water slowly on race day so the water could support a lot of my weight until I gained focus.  I sure would like to know what was up, never had that problem in a pool.
2009-04-30 7:38 PM

User image

Master
PA
How's your nutrition?

Are you getting enough calories on a daily basis?  Are you getting some fuel in the system before you swim?
2009-05-04 1:10 PM

User image

Thanks to all for the comments. 

I have noticed that it has resided almost competetly.  Seems like runnergirl was on to something!  Now I'm swimming 400m/open water with a decent time and can get out of the water without waiting a few to fully come to.
I have been trying to swim open at least twice a week.  I think that has helped.

I think I am going to give the ear plug thing a shot next time I head to the lake.

As for nutruition, I know that is a critical part.  I do try to maintain good nutrition, balanced amount of carbs, protien, etc.  I eat small portions every 2-3 hours. 
However on my last workout, this past Sat., I picked up a few gel packs, bars and a bag of those jelly beans, and a packet of the Cliff Blocks chews.  I ate 1/2 of the chews before getting to the water.  Then after about half way into my workout I ate the jelly beans.  I felt great thoughout the whole work out.  Even did some sprint drills and felt fine afterwards.  Thanks gopennstate!

2009-05-04 3:56 PM
in reply to: #2128873

User image

Sensei
Sin City
How long does it last?

I think there is a certain amount of dizzyness that will happen from going from a horizontal position to a vertical position.  Maybe like standing up too fast or jumping out of bed.

I'm alwas slightly dizzy after getting out of the pool for a couple minutes...  I'm not afraid of falling or anything, but it makes the run to transition (if I'm racing) interesting.
2009-05-05 8:36 PM

User image

Southern AZ
Try kicking really hard the last hundred yards or so to get more blood running through your veins and don't shoot out of the water also, if you don't normally drink gads of caffeine try some before swimming - it will raise you're blood pressure - good luck
2009-05-11 1:00 PM

User image

Seems like it was one of those things that I had to get acclimated to.  It no longer happens.  Yes the transition from the water to land has me a little out of breath, and the normal affect from going from horz to vert still happens but very little now. 
Before it was so bad that I had to sit down, felt like I was going to fall over.  i actually had to hold on the a rail while walking out of the water.

Now Im able to swim 600m, then for the last 50m or so, I book it.  Get a nice sprint going to the finish.  Again, mostly just heavy breathing now.

Thanks to all those who commented!

Wish me luck....doing my first Tri this Sunday!  I am so stoked and ready!

2009-05-12 7:32 PM

I had the same issue. Swimming more definitely helps, but what helped me the most were earplugs. I just bought the wax ones and they worked great. Also, I just had my first HIM and the swim was in the ocean on Saturday. It was pretty rough and some people were getting seasick. I get motion sickness easily, but didn't at all or feel dizzy with the earplugs. The day before the race I swam in the ocean without them and did feel terrible the rest of the day. Try it in your race, it can't mess you up and it doesn't hurt to try.
2009-05-12 9:22 PM

There is a difference between being dizzy and being lightheaded. If its dizziness (spinning/ nausea) it is most likely an ear thing like everyone says. If it is more lightheadedness (woozy, black curtains coming from the side, ready to pass out) it may be more along the lines of dehydration or lack of nutrition as someone else mentioned. When I first started swimming longer I would feel awful lightheaded coming out of the pool. Didnt really account for sweating in the pool. Started taking sips from the bottle and focusing on hydrating more and things have been better. Maybe that will help too.

2009-05-13 10:40 AM

User image

Portland, OR

I've noticed that if I do a hard workout and get out of the pool without a warm down of 200 yds then going vertical (or standing up) makes me dizzy.  I've always thought it had something to do with my heart easily pumping blood to my head as I lay in the water but the sudden change of getting out of the pool throws things off.  Usually lasts 1-2 minutes at most.  I've never blacked out from it.

Just slow it down a bit before you stand up.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feeling dizzy/lightheaded after my swims. Why? Rss Feed