UK Triathlon Forum England » Should I get shots for London Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-01 4:18 AM

Subject: Should I get shots for London Tri?
I have now heard lots of stories about swimming in the Thames, dead bodies, rat urine, rat poo. A colleague went on a boat tour of the Thames. The guide said that if you took a glass of water from the Thames and wait till the sediment settled to the bottom -- it would be the clearest water ever.... but if you drank it, you would be dead in 20 minutes. So, I ask you all --- should I get inoculations (jabs in UK speak, shots in American) before doing the London Triathlon in August? I'm doing the super sprint. It's my first tri ever.

If yes ---- when should I get them and what should I ask for?

Many thanks--- from a Texan living in London for 7 years, first time London Tri!

2009-05-08 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2122872

Subject: RE: Should I get shots for London Tri?

i think that you swim in the royal victoria docks, rather than the actual thames.  someone told me that the water is "filtered" from the thames, but this could be a myth......i haven't competed myself but i have a number of friends who have competed before and have been fine, without having any jabs.  if you're concerned, the best thing to do is probably to check with your doctor what they would recommend.  otherwise, hopefully a one off exposure won't hurt you. 

best of luck!

ps, i think the tour guide might have been exaggerating.... 

2009-05-09 4:50 AM
in reply to: #2122872

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: Should I get shots for London Tri?
I very much doubt there is a problem.  The triathlon wouldn't be allowed to run if there was a chance the water was contaminated with harmful things.
New Thread
UK Triathlon Forum England » Should I get shots for London Tri? Rss Feed