Overall Rank = 43/443
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/72
Swim
  • 35m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got boxed in by slower swimmers right after the start and it took a good deal of energy to slow down then veer around them. Really didn't feel like I got settled in until after the last turn to come in. Sighting was still a problem, though probably better than normal. I should have started further up on the swim.
Cramped both calf muscles getting out of the water on the ladder. I had made a point of trying to relax my feet but probably neglected that as I pushed the last segment of the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Left calf cramping while I was taking off my wetsuit. Ugh. Endured taunts from Jeff.
Just slow.
Edit - EXACTLY the same time as last year. To the second.
Bike
  • 2h 27m 48s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Cramped both calves as I was mounting the bike. Just coasted and tried to work those out before I put on my shoes. Got passed by a handful of folks in the time being. Continued to get passed periodically for the first 10 miles of the bike while we had a tailwind. Was riding well below my target wattage during this time as a guy passed me and then eased up. Mostly he would go the pace I wanted, but he slowed down a lot and I used those times to try to stretch out my legs. We had a slight cross/tail wind during this section and were averaging 23.8 mph for the first 30 min.
Turned right onto 210 and that tailwind turned into a straight on cross wind. People really started to slow down and I took that opportunity to pass and start riding my target wattage of 240 or thereabouts. I passed quite a lot of people for the next hour or so. 210 veered south and the crosswind turned into a cross/headwind. By the time we got to the second water stop my stomach was unhappy. Had trouble taking in any nutrition. I passed one more guy right after the turn off of overlyon road & after a couple of miles I could no longer see anyone around me either in front or in back. I had probably close to a mile of pavement to myself.
By this point it seems like I wasn't really digesting any more infinit and switched to mostly just water and periodically forcing some infinit down. 220 watts felt like 240. Just no power in my legs. Disturbing since I have no problems riding longer & hard than this in training. First clue that my nutritional troubles were getting to be a problem.
Seems like 53 from overlyon to the finish is getting worse since they chipsealed it a few years back. You just can't avoid the seams and I was getting pretty beat up. Combined that with my frustration at not being able to develop any power and I was getting pretty POd at the bike.

1st 30 min: 213W Normalized power, 23.8 mph
30m - 1hr: 239W NP, 23.0 mph
1 - 1:30: 231W, 21.6 mph - this would have been into the headwind on the last section of 210.
1:30 - 2: 217W, 22.3 mph- problems developing
2 - finish, 209W, 22.2 mph - hatred of the bike leg

Entire bike was 223 NP, 159.3 TSS, .801 IF. My TSS should have been more like 180 and I was targeting an IF of .85. I left a lot out there.
What would you do differently?:

I do not feel that I took the bike too hard. I think the fall off is mostly due to my stomach giving me fits after 1:30 hours, though I think that I wasn't able to start riding my tri bike for so long probably hurt too. I still wasn't comfortable riding in the aerobars for 2+ hours and at white lake you're pretty much stuck in the bars from beginning to end.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I started talking to a guy next to me (I had passed him a while back) b/c he was bailing on the run. He was very complimentary but finally told me to get a move on since I was racing after all. Told Jeff I felt like I was going to throw up.
Run
  • 1h 47m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Before I got to the 1 mile mark my stomach was really in a bad way. I didn't take any water there. Stomach continued to cramp to the point where I could no longer breath well. I couldn't inhale much, so I started to walk. Behind the Wamsuta gas station I knew i was going to puke.

***Skip this unless you're really, really curious and not currently eating or about to eat***
First effort I found to be insufficient. Since I was in a hurry (it's a race after all) I waited for the next round and reached way on back in my throat to make this one really count. That did the trick. Felt silly as a couple of people I had passed a ways back on the bike passed me while I was doubled over. Finished my business and resumed my run.

***It's OK now***
I felt a ton better. No more stomach cramps and I could run a good 8 min/mile pace or slightly under. Took water for a few aid stations but I was still burping inifinit. Eventually took a gel from the course. It was tough for a minute but my stomach settled down again. I felt great from about miles 6 to 9 or 10 and picked up the pace a bit. I started digging pretty deep just to maintain pace from 11 to 12 and from 12 on I was giving it everything I had and just managing an 8:20 pace.
I really wanted to run a 1:45 or better. I gave up a couple of minutes while walking & then puking, but I still feel like I should have been able to hold up a lot better.

Post race
Event comments:

I'm disappointed with the last part of the bike & my run. My overall bike time was in line with what I wanted, but I should have been able to maintain that power through the end of the bike to take off another couple or three minutes. The run is still where i give away a lot of time, even when I'm not puking. The only time I pass anybody is when they're melting down.
No doubt my nutritional issues played a big part in this. The infinit experiment is over for me and I'm going back to carbopro for calories b/c I've used it in a lot of races an never once had GI issues, even in ironman. I should have just stuck with that & not experimented this year, I guess.
Because I stopped taking in so much fluid on the bike (and because I did not pee from 7 in the morning until about 2:30 that afternoon) I feel like I was probably pretty dehydrated, even though I took a lot of water in on the run, so that wouldn't have helped either.

Last updated: 2009-01-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:40 | 2112 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/72
Overall: 126/443
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:27:48 | 56 miles | 22.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/72
Overall: 30/443
Performance:
Wind: Cross-winds
Course:
Road: Rough  Cadence: 92
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:47:39 | 13.1 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/72
Overall: 67/443
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-05-03 8:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC
Subject: White Lake Half

2009-05-03 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2127226

User image

Expert
NoVA
Subject: RE: White Lake Half
That's a fast bike split!!  Nice run considering your "situation"...solid effort all the way around---even if you felt like you left something out there.
2009-05-04 7:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC

Upon further consideration, I think that I may have taken in about 50 calories too much during the first hour.  Actually, during the first 50 minutes since I came up on the first water stop @ 18 miles pretty soon.  It's possible that this was the start of the problem and I just didn't recover.  Or not.

2009-05-13 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Wow, sub 5 hours at this race is totally awesome! I think I met you with Alice and Jeff after this race...? Do you really think 50 calories too much would cause stomach cramping? I'm asking sincerely, not sarcastically!! So many people had stomach issues at this race, and the next weekend. It makes me wonder if maybe something was in the water???

Edited by keyone 2009-05-13 9:28 AM
2009-05-13 6:46 PM
in reply to: #2147980

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC

Yeah, that was me with Jeff & Alice. 

I'm at a loss for what happened with my stomach.  It could have been the water, it could have been the calories, it could have been the caffeine consumed at race pace.  I just don't know.  It was very strange becuase my stomach was in a giant knot, but was totally fine after a reboot.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half Rss Feed